Bass Population data collection

Rate this topic

Metallica

After reading some threads here on SOl and observing for myself the decline of the striped bass fishery here on LI, I think we can benefit from collecting Data that would put a proverbial magnifying glass to the extent of the problem.  I know its not scientific in nature, but I used to tell my students that observation is the beginning of the scientific process. If you gentlemen and ladies would join in and post a general description of what you observed during your season, I think we can get a clear understanding of what's happening.  We all know the fishery is in trouble but how bad is it. Does one good day or catching a pod of fish constitute a good fishery?  how can we quantify what is good if many of us have never seen the bass runs in quantity of past decades.

Your reply can take the form of a region on long island for example

The south shore, East end south area, the Hamptons area, Fire island area, Jones Island area, Rockaway area and the New York bight.

The north shore, Throgs neck bridge area, Manhasset bay area, Oyster bay area, Huntington bay area, Smithtown bay area, wildwood area and the east end north

Don't be specific, be generic in the location of where you fish, the goal is not to spot burn or turn this into such debate. State what you observed, for example great pods of fish in this area, sizes,  condition of the fish of you caught any. State if you are a boat fisherman or surfcaster, general time you fish but do not include details that would burn a spot

please feel free to make suggestions, the goal is to gather data not to start a controversial she said he said childish debate.  

so ill start

Surfcaster, This season I mainly fished the Fire Island area, during the times I fished mainly at night I did not see the normal populations or groups of fish I saw in years past. I saw mainly young fish. slot sizes and runts

"If I could have my wasted days back would I use them to get back on track? Stop to warm at karmas burning or look ahead, but keep on turning. Do I have the strength to know how I'll go? Can I find it inside to deal with what I should'nt know?"

Surfcaster, west end.

Did 100 trips so far, average 5+ fish per trip

Observation,

Missing this season were the fish under 24”. There were much more fish 28” and up.

Overall numbers are down for me but so was my effort.

Least amount of fish for me in the last 9 years or so.

Recruitment  is obviously low and areas that used to hold smaller bass were undependable or void this season.

Far western LIS. Weird year. Spring brought some pretty good fish. Summer was summer. In the far western sound, it's always a bit tougher in the summer than parts east. Though the rain in new england did seem to drain into the sound and make the water quality crap. Ended up fishing a lot more pink and chartreuse. Late summer/early fall was weird because it rained so many weekends and was nice during the week. So weekend warriors had a different fishery.

Biggest thing I noticed this year was the lack of bunker. Peanuts as usual during the summer. The adults we get in the fall never came through, and the peanuts mostly got swept out sometime in early October.  Really, the worse bunker year locally I can remember in the last few years.

Which led to a junk fall. To the extent fish came through in November, they passed right by because there was no bunker. Water was in the 50s past Thanksgiving, but nothing swimming in it except Tog. I wouldn't be surprised if this year's good Tog season is partly because they (Tog) aren't being hastled by big migrating bass.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, seems no one is interested in participating or they believe this is some evil plot/ conspiracy lol.

"If I could have my wasted days back would I use them to get back on track? Stop to warm at karmas burning or look ahead, but keep on turning. Do I have the strength to know how I'll go? Can I find it inside to deal with what I should'nt know?"

I'll support Low Ends report with one exception. I saw the same results but in my case it was on equivalent effort. My  not so professional log goes back six or seven years and is a downhill slide generally. Almost 100% of my fishing is on the west end, south shore, bays, inlets and open beach. I do some night fishing but have always done that. Nothing much other the the size and counts has changed and I would like to think I'm considerably more skilled than I was back then. That could be argued.

south shore long island and north shore,. Past year has been worse than last two for me. More than once I've heard people say worst year of fishing in their 20, 25, 30 + years of fishing and that was for last year.  Complaints have stopped, I guess everyone just adjusts and moves on, but this past season has been worse than the last year for me.

This season I fished a spot on north shore where I had a decent amount of fluke, including few keepers last year, but this year zero keepers and shorts were probably at 80% reduction from last year. At different times in the season too, like they were wiped out. 

Edited by Jig It

So thus far. We have a consistent trend.  Common folks puke it out :laugh: