Bucktail trailers

Rate this topic

Heavy Seas

I’ve caught more fish on a bucktail this fall than anything else. In the past I used uncle Josh but since that went away (and is now back?) I’ve been using white curly tail grubs. I have the otter tails long straight tail but am not a fan - I haven’t produced with it and it really cuts down on casting distance. 

What does everyone like to use as a trailer on your bucktail? I was thinking about trying the fat cow split tail as it’s a closer match to the uncle Josh pork I have used successfully in the past. 

also do you match the color of your bucktail or use a contrasting color trailer?

8 mins ago, Danny1199 said:

I like otter tails.  Nice action and I've never had anything rip them off the bucktail or bite through it. 

One tip: Dont use the premade hole, I did when I first started using them and I lost some. Just make your own hole with the hook and the thing will never come off. 

Which version - Straight tail or curly tail?

i prefer pork hands down. the imitations are okay, but if i have pork on the back, i have all the confidence in the world that it's the best i can put out there.

when uncle josh stopped making pork, i learned how to make my own. there's at least a thread or two about how to do it on sol already. you can make a few years worth for less than a jar of anything too.

31 mins ago, rocco said:

i prefer pork hands down. the imitations are okay, but if i have pork on the back, i have all the confidence in the world that it's the best i can put out there.

when uncle josh stopped making pork, i learned how to make my own. there's at least a thread or two about how to do it on sol already. you can make a few years worth for less than a jar of anything too.

Sheepskin chamois on bezos.  You can dye them, cut them anyway you like.  Can stay on the hook indefinitely. Fun winter project for the wife and kids.  

Do a google search on "the absorber towel."  It is an imitation chamois towel that you can pick up for like $15.  I get the red colored version, but other color options exist.  You can cut to whatever size and shape you desire.  You can leave them on full time and they work great; same action as the uncle josh.  Not as durable as pork, but more size, shape options available.  

It all started last year during a terrible thunderstorm, when I locked myself out of the house. Shelving myself with a large piece of sheet metal, I ran for cover under the tallest tree I could find!

Here is the thread from 2019. Someone describing how they made home made pork rinds. I second the vote for fat cow jig strips (white otter tail and eel tail; although I've done better with otter). However, after seeing this thread, I am definitely gonna try and make my own during the winter. 

There’s literally so many different plastic trailers to chose from it can be mind boggling. I do like the chamois idea. I’ve heard about that yrs back and must have forgotten about it. But I’m a simpleton. Right now it’s hard to change from a 6” curly tail..  

-Hey dumbass it's not about a kill or no kill tournament, it's about how much your 2nd favorite club can mug you! That's it...

-the reports thread is the yenta section for NJ..  

-If’n ya cut yer teeth on Ava and teaser fishing please take a seat in the back and keep quite… 

-is monkey see monkey do fishing even fun..?? 
-yes I still fish with mono..  On occasion