Sourdough Starter?

Rate this topic

I made and kept one from 2016 through 2021.  I just started with whole wheat flour and water mixed with my bare hands.  It was halved and fed with more flour and water every couple days until it started vigorously rising in a few hours.  After that it got kept in the fridge and fed every week or two or the day before I wanted to use it.  I never got good at making loaves of bread as I'm more of a cook than a baker but it made fantastic pizza dough.

I did and kept it in fridge. I followed the pineapple juice method. Can't remember the deets. Basically the acidity of the pineapple juice prevents formation of certain bacteria that can delay or throw off the starter getting going. 

https://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/10856/pineapple-juice-solution-part-1

It was fun but I never made loaves that were tasty enough to justify the effort. 

Making baguettes came out better for me that was fun I think because you had a lot more crust and thus more flavor. 

Bumped an older sourdough thread. 

1E30CE23-9A75-4708-B186-902438364B1A.jpeg

0AE5A4DF-F4C7-489E-A93B-E5E13AA88661.jpeg

8CD745C9-0A15-4EFA-AF47-9A9F2204D8A5.jpeg

11B865DE-2622-4CE6-A684-B9DC92C12E42.jpeg

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

On 11/28/2023 at 8:44 AM, Maine Guide said:

Could not find a discussion here. 

Anyone make one?  And keep it going. 

I’d love to know your recipe and experience with it. 

Thanks!

I can't share a recipe, but there are tons of instructions online.

I bake about once a week, at least once every two weeks.

Either whole wheat, rye, rustic white and then there are the english muffins.  Ah, pizza dough too.

#otterlivesmatter

Just a bug farm. When you want to bake you feed it.  Takes a couple days but otherwise the starter just sits in the refrigerator and makes hooch. 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

7 hours ago, gellfex said:

Really? I had read up and was told daily feedings and care.

nah you can keep it in fridge and not feed for a while but it's still a lot of work and it's not like instant flavorful bread because you have to feed it right to adjust the balance among the types of bacteria. 

I tried something called a liquid starter hoping to get more flavor but it would end up dying. 

Made a few good loaves its certainly fun when it works out. 

Anyone got a secret on how to get it consistent? Do you need a good dutch oven? 

5 hours ago, TopStriperAngler said:

Do you need a good dutch oven? 

Dutch oven is a great way to get deeply colored flavorful crust on bread 

On 11/29/2023 at 7:19 PM, gellfex said:

Really? I had read up and was told daily feedings and care.

I feed mine once a week but because I'm baking once a week.

The more you feed it, the stronger it is.

You can get away with 25 grams of flour and water as a feeding to keep a small amount of starter going.

My go to recipe calls for 227 grams of starter for bread, and 100 for pizza dough or english muffins. 

I probably keep around 75 stored, and feed it twice before mixing dough.  One small feed in the early morning to wake it up and then a healthier feed mid day.  By evening I'm ready to mix dough.

#otterlivesmatter