More new homes

Rate this topic

Rmarsh

We have just completed and sold out an 80 home subdivision on small lots. Houses were limited to four different designs. All sold before they were done. The pace was hectic...non stop for the last few years.

Now we will be moving on to do some larger custom homes on estate sized lots. I'm beginning to cut back on my work hours as I approach my 68th birthday next month. We have been tutoring the younger guys to move up to do kitchen installs and finish stairways.

The last pic of the one story house is actually much larger...it has a fully finished walk out basement.

20230307_141554.jpg

image000000(3).jpg

20231121_140021.jpg

1 hour ago, gray gables said:

The company you work for must be making some great profits with those subdivisions. 

Company owners/brothers started with nothing....all multi millianares now. I dont begrudge them at all ...smart guys who made good decisions, took risks, and put in the work. Moved from Boston to south coast and saw the opportunity to buy tracts of land....then some dedicated craftsmen to hire.

In addition to that they treat the hired help with respect....company truck gas cards and the cash bonuses....all good.

Quality work done by a quality company has always seemed a rare commodity in my experience. I have worked for a lot of builders, big and small and found most make the same mistakes/cuts that hurt themselves. Your work is excellent. 

By extension I would expect that the trades before you do excellent work. You would not be working for this company if there were issues. 

15 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Quality work done by a quality company has always seemed a rare commodity in my experience. I have worked for a lot of builders, big and small and found most make the same mistakes/cuts that hurt themselves. Your work is excellent. 

By extension I would expect that the trades before you do excellent work. You would not be working for this company if there were issues. 

Thanks......I try my best....but perfection is beyond my capabilities. Unfortunately the quality and professionalism that was the norm when I started in the trade in '73 is no longer true. I see the work these framing subcontractors we hire do and its not that great......just got to shake my head when I see some of the half assed stuff they do. I spent 30 years framing houses so I know what good framing looks like. Fast forward to today where  Im not in any position to school or reprimand the shoddy work they do.  We often go in to fix things they **** up before framing inspection. My job is to do the interior finish work so I stay focused on that. Couple of examples but lots of shitty work like this. Cant change how things are going so I go along and try not to care.

Resized_20210118_084106.jpg

Resized_20210118_092351.jpg

Resized_20210118_112907.jpg

I took this picture wondering ...how close together are we going to build these houses??20230307_142205.jpg.727ba115d09635f37c760479c0f25b76.jpg Maybe i should have said something before they poured. Turns out that foundation had to be demolished...five feet too close to property line. Not sure...might have been civil engineers, excavator or foundation contractor. It got done over and house got finished on time. Costly mistake around 20k.

....and here I was worried about two cabinet doors I drilled hardware holes incorrectly. 

30 mins ago, Rmarsh said:

I took this picture wondering ...how close together are we going to build these houses??20230307_142205.jpg.727ba115d09635f37c760479c0f25b76.jpg Maybe i should have said something before they poured. Turns out that foundation had to be demolished...five feet too close to property line. Not sure...might have been civil engineers, excavator or foundation contractor. It got done over and house got finished on time. Costly mistake around 20k.

....and here I was worried about two cabinet doors I drilled hardware holes incorrectly. 

No pictures? 

2 hours ago, gray gables said:

whenever we have stuff that is close to the setbacks/property lines we have to have it pinned on the footings by a surveying company. 

Yes....we do also but ...somebody didn't do their job correctly.

It should never happen.....we have built way over 100 houses and this was a first. I dont know the details and kind of glad I'm not involved.

2 hours ago, Rmarsh said:

Yes....we do also but ...somebody didn't do their job correctly.

It should never happen.....we have built way over 100 houses and this was a first. I dont know the details and kind of glad I'm not involved.

Yup, stick with the interior stuff. No heavy work boots, no gloves, no hats, no winter coats. Jeans, t shirts and sneakers yes please.