Surf rod tips

Rate this topic

Jeddore

after heating the tip top and removing it if you have a metric drill set insert a drill bit into the tip that fits snug and order one from Mud hole the same size as the drill bit that fit . if you use the heat method to remove the tip never twist while hot pull strait off .

Edited by angler management

the takers get the honey and the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower

Don’t use crazy glue!!! There is a glue that comes in stick form , heat it with a lighter , drip on the rod tip then slide on the replacement, make sure it’s straight before the glue sets , maybe 2 minutes. To get a broken tip off , quickly heat the tip until the glue softens then twist it off. Trick is not to use too much heat!! Have multiple tips for every rod you fish handy along with a glue stick and multiple lighters. It’s a quick fix on the fly. I have all the stuff in the truck and bring a small waterproof box when I take the walk in the Holy Land. 

Edited by pakalolo

IN FAVOR OF COMMERCIAL FISHING AND SURFING THE NORTH SIDE

MAY THE RICH GET RICHER!!

FISH ARE FOOD!!

UA MAU KA EA O KA AINA IKA PONO O HAWAII

5 hours ago, Jeddore said:

Broke the inserts of my rod tips. Would anyone know the size and model of the tip for a factory Lamiglas gsb 10ms and the St Croix Mojo 9’ medium surf?  They are both 70/30 split.

Thanks

Skyler 

Sounds like you have been naughty playing a game of “just the tip.”

Both rods too? You should ditch the swivel. 

3 mins ago, EricDice said:

Sounds like you have been naughty playing a game of “just the tip.”

Both rods too? You should ditch the swivel. 

I tripped and dropped my gsb on the rocks in early November and dropped my mojo yesterday on the rock while changing plugs. 

13 hours ago, pakalolo said:

Don’t use crazy glue!!! There is a glue that comes in stick form , heat it with a lighter , drip on the rod tip then slide on the replacement, make sure it’s straight before the glue sets , maybe 2 minutes. To get a broken tip off , quickly heat the tip until the glue softens then twist it off. Trick is not to use too much heat!! Have multiple tips for every rod you fish handy along with a glue stick and multiple lighters. It’s a quick fix on the fly. I have all the stuff in the truck and bring a small waterproof box when I take the walk in the Holy Land. 

Ferrule Cement, originally designed for fletching arrows is  what's been used for decades until someone got a "new, better" idea like super glue

yeah, honestly man, just have a shop replace them.  you're likely to waste a lot of time and money trying to do it yourself if you don't already have an assortment of tips at your disposal, the right glue, etc.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

22 hours ago, Jeddore said:

Broke the inserts of my rod tips. Would anyone know the size and model of the tip for a factory Lamiglas gsb 10ms and the St Croix Mojo 9’ medium surf?  They are both 70/30 split.

Thanks

Skyler 

I bought a beautiful assortment box of casting guides as well as a smaller box of assorted tips from Amazon it was worth the 25 bucks each and enough guides to build like eight rods and you get it in two days three days.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

I have seen shops do a job on tip top replacement. Good ,bad and plain ugly. No way would I trust a tackle shop to do this job. It is seen as so simple but to do it properly is more than a simple than  pull off the old and slap on a new one. The cost of a couple of tip tops and five minute epoxy glue some clean up alcohol and some rod wrapping thread if the Rod top needs making up a tad. Tube size under 3mm advance in small increments. Over that in 0.5 mm and then 1 mm. I want a concentric fit between tube and blank. If you think you can get that in a tackle shop job dream on.

mike

Now now Mikey. Some of us still do it correctly. The issue is how the rodmaker glued the tip on when new. Epoxy is a challenge and you don't know. Mild heat should loosen ferrule cement. Epoxy needs a different approach. Most who come in with a bad tip want to "get back out there" and not wait for the correct fix of replacing the thread wrap too due to different tube lengths. Checking all the guides for cracks should be done. I'll bet the original poster cracked a guide or two when he dropped it. I see it all the time.Braid and cracks don't mix.

On 11/27/2023 at 8:43 PM, angler management said:

after heating the tip top and removing it if you have a metric drill set insert a drill bit into the tip that fits snug and order one from Mud hole the same size as the drill bit that fit . if you use the heat method to remove the tip never twist while hot pull strait off .

On 11/27/2023 at 8:46 PM, pakalolo said:

To twist or not to twist that is the question