Zeebaas, Van Staal, Visser?

Rate this topic

Tokentoken456

If you feel the need to buy new,  get a Van Staal. Not the VR series, they're not fully sealed and I'm sure you're looking for a reel is indeed fully sealed. Get a vsx or x2. I love my ZeeBaas but it is a huge pain and a long wait to get a new one, and theyre way more expensive.

If you dont mind buying used, get a ZeeBaas. While it takes forever for them to make you a reel, the service turnaround time is pretty quick when you send one in for some work. This is what i did, bought a used ZX22 and immediately sent it in to get looked at and cleaned up. Good as new when i got it back,  within 2 weeks of sending it out.

Plus its the only option thats still made in the US.

They are heavier than the van staals if thats a concern for you.

I dont know much at all about Vissers.

3 hours ago, pakalolo said:

Original VS , bullet proof , fully submersible , Burt for service , can’t ask for more than that!

Does he service the main seal? He skips that in his service video. 

Edited by ged

It seems the first decision point is whether you need a completely sealed reel, or not.  From there figuring out what performance and durability features are important you should start to narrow the list.  For example, the ability to service a reel myself is a must have for me, but it may not be critical for others.

Good luck in your search and please let us know which reel you converge to.

Why do I keep hearing the VR is not fully sealed. It's as sealed as any of them...I have 2 that have been fished just like my old VS reels and there's zero water intrusion in either thru 2 seasons. 

You should buy one of each, I'd pass on the Visser, bail less of course on the VS, VR, and ZB...this way nobody can bash you for not buying the one they own.

16 hours ago, Tokentoken456 said:

I'm sure this has been addressed before, wondering what's the best choice? I'm starting to get really into surf fishing and I'm interesting in a high end durable reel, something that can last. Considering price point/servicing and functionality, what should I go for? 

VR is a fully sealed reel and it can take a beating l have two VR175 & VR150, VR150 is my go to reel most of the time, and sits good on my 9 & 10ft and also on my 11 surf rod, there is only one seal that is different in the VR as opposed to the VS and that is the spool shaft seal VR uses a cup lip seal, the VS quad seal either will do it's job and either one could fail.

For a Zbass you have to go deep into your wallet it's a great reel US made, VS is just behind it price wise.

As for self service it's on par with Zbass, with VS some special tooling is needed to get to the man seal to remove the pinion, with the VR the wrench is in the reel box should you buy the reel and want to service it yourself.

If you can change a tire and change your oil you should be able to service the VR reel, gears are on par with the VS, main and pinion are both Stainless Steel and just as beefy as VS and parts are available, l own both VS and VR reels and self service both.

My VR is going l think 5 years without any problems my VS100 is 26 years old, VS150 is 8 years old.

ZB all the way, if your getting into high reels a VS is not a reel you want to try a service yourself, unless you know what you are doing. The anti reverse housing (cap that screws off) on a VS needs to be handled with their plastic box wrench or some other tool that wont mar the finish. if that part is not taken off correctly you run the risk of locking the reel up. there is a way to fix that scenario but again you need to know what you are doing.  ZB has none of that. the reels are simple to disassemble and intuitive to work on. 

reliability wise both are solid even though I own several ZB's and prefer them over VS's they are both well built reels. Again, apart from USA made VS they are now made over seas, ZB is made in CT. The man who invented all three reels is the same person. he took what he perceived as weaknesses in a VS and came up with the ZB, after he sold ZB he now involved in Visser. You could say a ZB is the evolution of a VS.

As far as Visser I have not seen one in person but knowing Rob its probably a well made reel

Edited by Metallica
"If I could have my wasted days back would I use them to get back on track? Stop to warm at karmas burning or look ahead, but keep on turning. Do I have the strength to know how I'll go? Can I find it inside to deal with what I should'nt know?"

16 hours ago, Metallica said:

The man who invented all three reels is the same person. he took what he perceived as weaknesses in a VS and came up with the ZB, after he sold ZB he now involved in Visser. You could say a ZB is the evolution of a VS.

As far as Visser I have not seen one in person but knowing Rob its probably a well made reel

You left out the VR, there are four spinnig reels that that he made, the VR is almost a clone to the Zbass at half the price, gears are almost identical to to the ZB ease of maintenance just like the ZB no other special tools need other than the wrench that is included when you buy the reel, it's a good starter reel and it could be keep for a live time if maintained l know mine is not going anywhere, if you feel you want to go up the lader you could recoup 2/3 of what you payed for the VR if keeped in good shape and move on to a ZB or just keep the VR as a back up. 

On 11/26/2023 at 11:59 PM, Tokentoken456 said:

Considering price point/servicing and functionality, what should I go for? 

The VR reel if money is a problem, you have the looks ease of maintenance functionality and waterproof.

If you're not swimming out to rocks or using your rod as a wading staff, I'd save your money and get something like a penn spinfisher that you can more easily service.

i'm sure i'll get spit on for this but Ive said in the past, i'll take a dozen Penn Fierces over 1 van staal any day.

And thats not me being a fan boy, replace the fierce with any of the $50-60 reels that do just fine and hold up for years.

Thanks again for all the nice responses and solid advice! So far I'm rocking a saragosa 6k new model and tryna get my hands on a dark matter ob surf rod to match. Using a okuma surf rod at the moment. Seems like zbass is the super high end reel that I'll one day have in the reel arsenal. I think the next step is vr or vsx2, hearing mixed comments about the seal quality on a vr 

I have owned them both..Started out many years ago with three VS's  the 150 200 and 250...eventually sold them because of the cost to service them..bought two ZB'22 and 25 and have fished them hard with no problems and prefer them to the VS's

The VR sealing confusion is because the first generation did not have same sealed drag as the VS/VSX. But the new generation VR does have the sealed drag so now is considered fully sealed or waterproof, same as the VS. The VS used more expensive materials for the body.etc is why more expensive... NOT because it is sealed more than the newer VR range.

Edited by Busanga