A day of shorts

Rate this topic

saltfisherman

That's a beautiful pompano. I tried for the grand slam last time in the Keys, I had the tarpon and the bonefish, but the pompano just didn't happen. Bonnetheads made up for it. I caught one years ago but it was a fraction of the size you caught. Good fighter? 

Heading south next Feb-Mar for 2 weeks around Ft Meyers. Still got snook on my bucket list. Are they around and active then? Love to catch a cobia as well. I'll likely do a charter and hope for the best. 

39 mins ago, Good2Go said:

That's a beautiful pompano. I tried for the grand slam last time in the Keys, I had the tarpon and the bonefish, but the pompano just didn't happen. Bonnetheads made up for it. I caught one years ago but it was a fraction of the size you caught. Good fighter? 

Heading south next Feb-Mar for 2 weeks around Ft Meyers. Still got snook on my bucket list. Are they around and active then? Love to catch a cobia as well. I'll likely do a charter and hope for the best. 

FYI, a pompano and a permit are similar but different. I believe you meant a permit. 

At that point they will be back in the mangroves. So much will depend on our water temps. Colder the less activity. Currently the water temp is 74*. 

As far as charters go, I haven’t used one to recommend. 

Juvenile Permit, used to catch by the handfuls in Key Largo in the Gargonia patches plants on the reefs . They will quickly grow to 5-6 lbs and the body gets bigger and the fins are less dramatic, 40 pounders are a hoot!

45 mins ago, towpro said:

Raw, are you still frozen from staying in Maine?

Do I lie? Yes , it was time, getting stripers 32-38 “ same type scenario, cigars, chunking, cigars and a chair! Wife’s younger sisters have serious health issues. I did fish Fl, from 1957 on, but yes I do, driving 1600 miles also got be a bit much