Duplicator Help

Rate this topic

kwhite456

bandsaw definitely is the preferred method, that or you could use a table saw set to rip off the bottom corner.

I use a small block plane and just run 6-8 quick passes on each side while it's chocked up in the lathe. Not the most efficient but I do love seeing all the curls on the floor after a long turning session.

this brings back my old days i would buy tool steel blanks and grind out different shape cutting head to see what worked best for me when they got dull back on the belt sander they would go now for plugs that were just straight tubes that cutter head you have would work just dandy then as time went on i would grind  other shapes  to fit the  bill...what  i  see  today vis  most   if  not  all  turners just  want to start at one end of the block and force the cutting head down the  lenght  of  the  block to shape their plug what they should be doing is taking their chisels and roughing out the plugs shape first then use your cutting head to finish it out you will then save your cutting head from getting dull so fast it seems everyone wants to fly into getting their plugs cut out instead of  enoying the art of turning...why the rush?

4 hours ago, capesams said:

this brings back my old days i would buy tool steel blanks and grind out different shape cutting head to see what worked best for me when they got dull back on the belt sander they would go now for plugs that were just straight tubes that cutter head you have would work just dandy then as time went on i would grind  other shapes  to fit the  bill...what  i  see  today vis  most   if  not  all  turners just  want to start at one end of the block and force the cutting head down the  lenght  of  the  block to shape their plug what they should be doing is taking their chisels and roughing out the plugs shape first then use your cutting head to finish it out you will then save your cutting head from getting dull so fast it seems everyone wants to fly into getting their plugs cut out instead of  enoying the art of turning...why the rush?

I use the same methods that I use in the shop in my plug building. i turn everything an 1/8” over size with the same insert then turn to finish size with a nice new bit. I never finish anything i turn with my roughing bits or tools. Matter

of fact that is all i use my vega for is roughing out my plugs. i finish everything on my home made duplicator. its way more accurate 

Edited by Steel Pulse

what's the secret word for tonight

1...cut the edges off your blocks

2. rough out your shape with chisels or if your lucky enough like i was to have two lathes one to rough one to finish

3. once you have some blocks cut to size say 8 0r 10 set up once and run them all instad of having to change things around all the time..the bodies are not going to run away and you will have them later on to play with if you get tired of playing with one shape  ...switch around  seal  one   batch  sand   another prime   a few    change things up all the time start a new shape take your time you will enjoy plug making a lot more. god   i miss  building  plugs  ,cheers