Jump to content

Duplicator Help

Rate this topic


kwhite456

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone,

 

I have this craftsman lathe with a craftsman’s copy crafter and am trying to figure out how to fine tune this Facebook marketplace find. When I ran a test through the duplicator. I noticed they aren’t exact to what was on the copy crafter. Does anyone know of these cutters are easy to replace? Can I shave it down to a point to make it more consistent with my template? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I want to make this as effective as possible!
 

 

IMG_2902.jpeg

IMG_2900.jpeg

IMG_2901.jpeg

IMG_2903.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Way too big a radius on the cutter, they typically come almost to a point, with a very small radius at the tip. The "follower" pin is also a little large, the bigger the pin and cutter are, the more detail you will lose on the copy. 

Don't know if stuff is still available for that lathe, but Sears is pretty good about stocking old parts, might be worth a look. Maybe they made different cutters.

"Can You Hear Me, Doctor?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ed White said:

Way too big a radius on the cutter, they typically come almost to a point, with a very small radius at the tip. The "follower" pin is also a little large, the bigger the pin and cutter are, the more detail you will lose on the copy. 

Don't know if stuff is still available for that lathe, but Sears is pretty good about stocking old parts, might be worth a look. Maybe they made different cutters.

 

So I should defintely grind it down to a point? Ive done some preliminary looking for spare parts and they are hard to find. Im goin to look deeper today while watching the games. There is a shorter follower pin i can use thats on the metal piece behind the cutter, but I think i will run into the same problem. I was thinking about shaving the follower pin also so it was more pointed and can get into the corners better. But might want to see if theres other options out there first. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2023 at 12:42 PM, capesams said:

i still to this day why guys refuse   to rip  off   the   corners  of  the  blocks  they  are  going  to  turn just  to  lazy i  guess.

Maybe just inexperience, but definitely something to take note of for future work. Shop teacher pounded that into any students head. "Never use lathe chisels to make square stock round". If you are nice to your tools they will last longer and stay sharper longer. But if you don't mind taking them to a grinding wheel more often... Who cares.

On 11/26/2023 at 12:17 PM, Ed White said:

Way too big a radius on the cutter, they typically come almost to a point, with a very small radius at the tip. The "follower" pin is also a little large, the bigger the pin and cutter are, the more detail you will lose on the copy. 

Don't know if stuff is still available for that lathe, but Sears is pretty good about stocking old parts, might be worth a look. Maybe they made different cutters.

 

Agree with Ed. Check with Sears, but ultimately you may need to sent the peice out to someone like @Steel Pulse to have him see if making a copy or modifying the original to have a sharper taper is possible and still safe to use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

lots to address here on cutting tools. what you have there looks to be a high speed lathe tool used in metal work plus it is way too big of a radius for the application. You could grind it down to a much smaller radius at the tip but you will be constantly sharpening the tool and if you’re not good at sharpening tools you will most likely be frustrated with the results. I went to carbide inserts for the lathe work. Once dull you throw them out. No sharpening them. They have 2 sides to them, indexable, and pretty cheap like 12 bucks to a high of 20 plus dollars offered by some. The holder of the inserts are a higher one time investment and will run you around 60 bucks. Getting it to fit your lathe holder will be the hard part. I probably could help you out with this issue if you would like but i would need the tool post holder. it looks to be removable. if that is so and you have interest PM me but i’ll tell you I think I’m retiring in about 3 months so don’t wait too long as my access to the shop will be over most likely. .  Here is the holder i’m talking about. I use this tool on my home made duplicator. 

 

 

IMG_4296.jpeg

what's the secret word for tonight

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kphresh said:

Maybe just inexperience, but definitely something to take note of for future work. Shop teacher pounded that into any students head. "Never use lathe chisels to make square stock round". If you are nice to your tools they will last longer and stay sharper longer. But if you don't mind taking them to a grinding wheel more often... Who cares.

 

Agree with Ed. Check with Sears, but ultimately you may need to sent the peice out to someone like @Steel Pulse to have him see if making a copy or modifying the original to have a sharper taper is possible and still safe to use.

Unfortunately my research came up empty. Seems like there are no more replacement parts for this type lathe and copy crafter. So I will have to figure out something and see pick up parts as I find them online

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Steel Pulse said:

lots to address here on cutting tools. what you have there looks to be a high speed lathe tool used in metal work plus it is way too big of a radius for the application. You could grind it down to a much smaller radius at the tip but you will be constantly sharpening the tool and if you’re not good at sharpening tools you will most likely be frustrated with the results. I went to carbide inserts for the lathe work. Once dull you throw them out. No sharpening them. They have 2 sides to them, indexable, and pretty cheap like 12 bucks to a high of 20 plus dollars offered by some. The holder of the inserts are a higher one time investment and will run you around 60 bucks. Getting it to fit your lathe holder will be the hard part. I probably could help you out with this issue if you would like but i would need the tool post holder. it looks to be removable. if that is so and you have interest PM me but i’ll tell you I think I’m retiring in about 3 months so don’t wait too long as my access to the shop will be over most likely. .  Here is the holder i’m talking about. I use this tool on my home made duplicator. 

 

 

IMG_4296.jpeg

You were the one I was thinking of when I posted this. I am definitely interested in speaking with you about what my options are. This lathe came with all the stuff I posted. I’m very new to this and just want to have something functional for a few years until I eventually get stuck having to upgrade.

 

the only issue I’m gunna have right now @Steel Pulse is I don’t have access to DMs, haven’t met the threshold yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I kind of thought that might be an issue. Not sure I could help you but we can discuss your options. you know anyone on the site that could message me your email or your name on F B. i’m not willing to put my e mail addy out there. if you want to do that or you could look me up on F B. 

Edited by Steel Pulse

what's the secret word for tonight

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 mins ago, Steel Pulse said:

I kind of thought that might be an issue. Not sure I could help you but we can discuss your options. you know anyone on the site that could message me your email or your name on F B. i’m not willing to put my e mail addy out there. if you want to do that or you could look me up on F B. 

Let me reach out to Antagonizer. I can see if he’s willing to send you my info

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kphresh said:

Maybe just inexperience, but definitely something to take note of for future work. Shop teacher pounded that into any students head. "Never use lathe chisels to make square stock round". If you are nice to your tools they will last longer and stay sharper longer. But if you don't mind taking them to a grinding wheel more often... Who cares.

 

 
I am very inexperienced. Last off season I picked up the lathe for a winter hobby, and most of my experience came from a couple YouTube videos and just playing around. What do you recommend I use to make my square stock round?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Steel Pulse said:

this is how i do it if you can figure out how to play these damn videos on here. but you might not have a bandsaw so that’s an issue. Table saw can be used but going to be very dusty 

Thanks for the video! I don’t have a band saw yet, but was planning on buying one. I have enough applications for it to justify buying it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...