Jump to content

Still on the new rod.

Rate this topic


hunter123

Recommended Posts

As in a previous post I'm looking at getting one of two rods. The DNA 10' 3/4 to 4 oz, or the Lamiglass carbon 10'  3/4 to 3 oz.  I'm getting confued as to what lure wt will be best for me. A member ha ssuggested the 10' 3/4 to 4 oz. There is also the Lami 10' 1 to 5 oz. This seems to me to be to heavy in lure wt for normal surf casting plugs and soft baits up to 3 oz.casting plugs, I don't know if it is.  Would there be a big difference between 3/4 to 3 oz of the 3/4 to 4 oz. I never had a Lami surf rod, I know the carbon is not a real Lami built in the U.S.A. , but neither is the DNA.  There is a $100.00 difference between the 2 rods. I think the Lami comes with a better warranty ?. I can get the Lami carbon now, or wait till after X-Mas to get the DNR.  I'll keep my 11'  3 to 8 oz VPR for heavy plugs over 3 oz for inlets and rough surf. I'm probably confusing myself, looking for an outside opinion.

Edited by hunter123
Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not an expert on the rods you mention but, I do have several casting rods in that rating and they are not for big plugging and in an 8nlet,I'd rather have my big sticks for big plugs in there.

if there's smaller fish in the inlet's than okay but, otherwise no.

the 3/4-3 oz can throw small plugs and do rubber as well no problem.

if I had to pick one of yours, I'd do the lami.

HH

 

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I'm not an expert on the rods you mention but, I do have several casting rods in that rating and they are not for big plugging and in an 8nlet,I'd rather have my big sticks for big plugs in there.

if there's smaller fish in the inlet's than okay but, otherwise no.

the 3/4-3 oz can throw small plugs and do rubber as well no problem.

if I had to pick one of yours, I'd do the lami.

HH

 

Thanks. Would you go with the 3/4 to 3 or the 1 to 5 oz Lami. I'm preety sure it will be the Lami.

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hunter123 said:

Thanks. Would you go with the 3/4 to 3 or the 1 to 5 oz Lami. I'm preety sure it will be the Lami.

I would say going by the ratings that the 1-5 would have more power than the 3/4-3 so, if that's what you're looking for go for it.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, hunter123 said:

As in a previous post I'm looking at getting one of two rods. The DNA 10' 3/4 to 4 oz, or the Lamiglass carbon 10'  3/4 to 3 oz.  I'm getting confued as to what lure wt will be best for me. A member ha ssuggested the 10' 3/4 to 4 oz. There is also the Lami 10' 1 to 5 oz. This seems to me to be to heavy in lure wt for normal surf casting plugs and soft baits up to 3 oz.casting plugs, I don't know if it is.  Would there be a big difference between 3/4 to 3 oz of the 3/4 to 4 oz. I never had a Lami surf rod, I know the carbon is not a real Lami built in the U.S.A. , but neither is the DNA.  There is a $100.00 difference between the 2 rods. I think the Lami comes with a better warranty ?. I can get the Lami carbon now, or wait till after X-Mas to get the DNR.  I'll keep my 11'  3 to 8 oz VPR for heavy plugs over 3 oz for inlets and rough surf. I'm probably confusing myself, looking for an outside opinion.

3/4 to 3 oz of the 3/4 to 4 oz. 

if you cast 1 or 2 oz lure,

the 3/4 to 3 oz rod would load and cast easier.

you may get the same distance with 3/4 to 4 oz but you have to push that rod harder to do the same load and distance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hunter123 said:

Thank guys, I'll get the Lami 3/4 to 3 oz 10'. I have a 11' 3 to 8 for jetties with fast water or te ebach with rough waves,  I'm 74 years old , the 1 to 5 might wear me out faster casting a lot. Thanks agsain.

You neglected to mention your age.

I would have said go light.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2023 at 8:06 PM, Heavy Hooksetter said:

You neglected to mention your age.

I would have said go light.

HH

I agree. I’m only 43 but a bad shoulder, etc. 

 

I was out throwing the 1-5 trophy II and even with a light reel I was missing the other rod. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, EricDice said:

I agree. I’m only 43 but a bad shoulder, etc. 

 

I was out throwing the 1-5 trophy II and even with a light reel I was missing the other rod. 

oh the worn out shoulder deal, yeah I know it.

I use heavy sticks and wood as you know but, don't make lots of casts, the tide does the carrying for me almost always.

I had an encounter with a beast back in 2002 and my standard rig was totally outgunned.

I stayed with that fish for 33 minutes and couldn't do anything with it, from that day forward I vowed to not be under gunned again.

that was a once in a lifetime fish and my rig was not worth a quarter.

now, they can bring it on!

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

oh the worn out shoulder deal, yeah I know it.

I use heavy sticks and wood as you know but, don't make lots of casts, the tide does the carrying for me almost always.

I had an encounter with a beast back in 2002 and my standard rig was totally outgunned.

I stayed with that fish for 33 minutes and couldn't do anything with it, from that day forward I vowed to not be under gunned again.

that was a once in a lifetime fish and my rig was not worth a quarter.

now, they can bring it on!

HH

Makes for a great story! I can’t picture you throwing light tackle with conventional gear and custom made wood plugs!

 

I need to try the tide riding thing you & some others here do. Seems like a good idea. 

 

I use a 9’6” Tsunami AWE which weighs relatively little and pulls its weight but am not above hand-lining a fish if it came to that.
 

My pulling (“rowing”) muscles are not currently involved in the impingement and I always have gloves on hand!

 

(I actually did handline a cownose ray years ago to keep from busting a light rod.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2023 at 2:49 PM, EricDice said:

Makes for a great story! I can’t picture you throwing light tackle with conventional gear and custom made wood plugs!

 

I need to try the tide riding thing you & some others here do. Seems like a good idea. 

 

I use a 9’6” Tsunami AWE which weighs relatively little and pulls its weight but am not above hand-lining a fish if it came to that.
 

My pulling (“rowing”) muscles are not currently involved in the impingement and I always have gloves on hand!

 

(I actually did handline a cownose ray years ago to keep from busting a light rod.)

I actually do throw light stuff with conventional gear as I don't use spinning gear at all for about 30 year almost.

for that I use 400 series sized casting reels like the Shimano Calcutta 401-te and such.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I actually do throw light stuff with conventional gear as I don't use spinning gear at all for about 30 year almost.

for that I use 400 series sized casting reels like the Shimano Calcutta 401-te and such.

HH

I like conventional gear also.  I use a 12' conventional for Bull red drum and small sharks. Also for tog from a boat. 

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

New update, Tackle direct emailed me that Lamiglass is slow on filling the orders for them.  So not wanting to wait in limbo for awhile, Tackle direct kept me informed on the order weekly. I went and changed the order to an in stock   ODM, DNA 10'  3/4 to 4 oz rod. I have a 9' ,  1/2 to 3.5 oz I use for Eeling, love the rod. The rod should be here in a few days. All in all I think I'll like the DNA better than the Lami.  It will match up nice with The Penn Spinfisher Vi 5500 I bought.  Funny how things can change the outcome. 

Edited by hunter123
Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...