Simms Splash Cast Top - Feedback wanted

Rate this topic

Heavy Seas

I searched the forum but didn’t find much info. There’s a video that Jerry Audet did on it but looking for more feedback from those who may not be associated with the brand. 

Is there anyone who has a fall season on this top that can provide feedback? Specifically I want feedback on ideal temperature range. It seems like a good spring and early fall top but not suitable for temps below 45/50. Is that accurate? I’m guessing I’ll still need stormr neoprene for those cold November and early December days and nights in NJ when the air temps or wind chill is below 40. 

Can’t speak to Simms’s as I wasn't crazy about the fit. I ended up getting a NRS splash top that is made for white water rafting/paddling that is pretty similar and really like it for warmer months. No hood but I actually like that for when it’s warm. Was right around a $100. Seems durable enough and won’t break the bank. The fit has plenty of shoulder mobility due to being cut for white water kayaking without being excessively baggy. Cold months I use a stormr. Really cold I weather I wear the NRS over the stormr, it does a good job of blocking out the wind. Has neck and wrist cuffs that seal well. 

11 hours ago, Cascade said:

I can tell you 2 things about this top.

1. It is a simms, so it is over priced.

2. If there is a problem with it, don't expect any help from simms.

Hope this helps.

Simms is cr%p...I only buy patagonia, holds up and they have ironclad warranty,dont walk around looking like a billboard....simms,tsunami,stormr,aquaskins.l,lamiglas....all billboarders & mediocre quality.l at best....no thanks

....patagonia has great customer service and all "profit" goes back to environmental causes..nrs also good..and the old guy cotton top also good

Edited by m12d78

Went to a shop today to try on the Simms and stormr. Have an old strykr was thinking about getting a new one. They also had the guy cotton and salt x tops. I was most impressed with the guy cotton I think I may end up going that right. I still have my old stormr I can use when it’s real cold and then the guy cotton should work the rest of the time. Most folks on here seem to like them, I believe the dremtech is the recommended model?

Edited by Heavy Seas

You have decided with Guy Cotton so this may not matter anymore but 3-4 outings so far and I like it.  Front zipper took good splash and kept everything dry and on low 40s, I had very thin tech wear and thicker upper under the Splash Cast and I was perfectly fine.  Only gripe I have is the wrist, as I was getting hit by the wave, the wrist left some water in as wrist moves and rolls in a little.  I think if SIMMS put more Velcro there, this wouldn't be a problem.  Kind of fix it by getting gauntlet type of gloves though and it didn't let any water in last time I was out.

I was deciding between the Guy Cotton and Splash Cast but picked Splash Cast since I liked the blue.  I may pick up Guy Cotton to to have it as a back up.

13 hours ago, Notable Catch said:

You have decided with Guy Cotton so this may not matter anymore but 3-4 outings so far and I like it.  Front zipper took good splash and kept everything dry and on low 40s, I had very thin tech wear and thicker upper under the Splash Cast and I was perfectly fine.  Only gripe I have is the wrist, as I was getting hit by the wave, the wrist left some water in as wrist moves and rolls in a little.  I think if SIMMS put more Velcro there, this wouldn't be a problem.  Kind of fix it by getting gauntlet type of gloves though and it didn't let any water in last time I was out.

I was deciding between the Guy Cotton and Splash Cast but picked Splash Cast since I liked the blue.  I may pick up Guy Cotton to to have it as a back up.

Was there anything that made you decide on the simms over the guy cotton other than color?

Nope, I was pretty set on the Guy Cotton till I saw the Splash Cast, just couldn't resist the blue.  I actually like both color but never really had the blue so it won by small margin.  Would have loved the Guy Cotton too.  I went out this morning which was high 20s/low 30s and I was still comfortable.  I was actually getting hot towards mid morning.  I may have to get something thinner under the jacket.