Bucktail suggestions for Rocks?

Rate this topic

riverside_eng

What geometry of jig head (bullet vs smiling bill) do people recommend for fishing over rocks?

Also what resources (other than John Skinner, already on read 2 of his book and looking to supplement) do people recommend for learning how to fish bucktails over ground that is rocky/prone to snagging heads.

I am looking to tool up my mind and surf bag to tackle learning to fish bucktails next season.  I know I will lose a bunch, just hoping to be prepared to learn some lessons ahead of losing everything.

as long as they are forward balanced you are good to go (when casting from shore). Sure center tie style, such as spro, can be shore fished but are designed to be jigged/worked vertically from a boat/kayak, whereas forward balanced is designed for cast and retrieve. 

I usually stick with round head and bullet style as they are the most cost efficient and don't snag as easily, but other styles have their subtle differences (i.e. smiling bill style supposedly has some sway to it with a steady retrieve, lima bean / upperman style definitely has some sway to it on the drop, etc.). 

youtube is a great resource as well. One thing I've learned as well is start lighter then move up sizes. Sometimes you think the current is ripping and put on a heavier jig, but then you have to retrive too fast to work effectively. starting lighter then working your way heavier also helps with working the water column from top down, and in turn finding fish.

58 mins ago, m12d78 said:

Bucktails are by far the most productive way to catch striped bass from the surf...do yourself a favor and commit to only carrying bucktails next season on every trip...no plugs..only bucktails,best way to learn and best way to consistently put fish on the Beach 

Years ago I fished the south side of Montauk with  one of it's best regulars, he carried only a bucktail pouch on his belt and regularly outfished the rest of us. One of the most humbling and valuable lessons...never forgot it. Leave the bag home a few trips and carry a bucktail pouch, you'll be glad you did. And if you aren't losing a bunch in the rocks you aren't fishing them right. 

1 hour ago, m12d78 said:

Bucktails are by far the most productive way to catch striped bass from the surf...do yourself a favor and commit to only carrying bucktails next season on every trip...no plugs..only bucktails,best way to learn and best way to consistently put fish on the Beach 

It's an aspiration but I don't see myself seeing it through to only using bucktails all season.  My initial thought was to go into it as a primary lure this past season but I stopped after losing a handful in an outing.  This time around I will know the layout of the spots better and tieing my own to keep the cost down.

5 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Forward balance bulletheads, Tinman in the BST makes some great bucks.

Good to know, I was trying to narrow down between different geometries before putting in an order!

Weight is the most important aspect by far, wouldn’t worry about head style as much, stick to smilin bill and bullet heads as they are easily available, Don’t use minnow head bucktails as the eye placement is more designed for vertical jigging, unless you are targeting fluke from shore, Don’t get carried away with colors either stick to white and have a multiple weights. Good luck !