Crazy fishing related stories,,,,

Rate this topic

Heavy Hooksetter

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago I was fortunate enough to receive a couple Fat Cats from Rod. Known in this community as Heavy Hooksetter.

So I headed to the waterfront with the new plugs to give them a test swim in the Arthur Kill river. I was happy, verry pleased with the way the new plugs swam and I knew they would get slammed in the future.

Until Steve Youn shows up, and hands me a new outfit and says go ahead and test it out. So I did snapping on a Fat Cat on the new outfit, and snap the first cast the bail slams shut and the plug keeps flying. With a west wind and a out going tide I see the plug heading towards Freshkills, Staten Island NY.

FCR1.png.407e4e1278868510b25712f29e6539aa.png

Well I never figured I ever see that plug again. Then a couple days later it was spotted hanging off the fence that surrounds the Fresh Kills on Staten Island.

So a friend and I take ride over there. 

fatcat5.jpg.1ca2b99aadaf9411b2c4f0668554a040.jpg

Fatcat1.jpg.98f25333cd43f7f4832c85a99a1b35e0.jpg

800 - 1000' away tangled up in a fence it stood there through two tides...:shrug:

I was right because the Bass blow-up on the swagger these plugs make... :)

FatCat16.png.15baca558616a9174809990d59728a96.png

Edited by Lou T

I was in the middle river in Ft Lauderdale taking a bath not a shower lime I do most other days.  I start slapping the water.  Hard and begin slapping the water gentler and gentler and softer and softer until I stop.  No not what you're thinking.  I drew in a shark at my feet and it started barrel rolling at my right calf.  I was wondering where mom was. My intention was to see if I could draw in a shark to me.

New Jersey King Crab

2 hours ago, chunk said:

I was in the middle river in Ft Lauderdale taking a bath not a shower lime I do most other days.  I start slapping the water.  Hard and begin slapping the water gentler and gentler and softer and softer until I stop.  No not what you're thinking.  I drew in a shark at my feet and it started barrel rolling at my right calf.  I was wondering where mom was. My intention was to see if I could draw in a shark to me.

Tiger Shark GIF by RPA_Advertising

On 12/12/2023 at 3:00 PM, Lou T said:

Years ago I was fortunate enough to receive a couple Fat Cats from Rod. Known in this community as Heavy Hooksetter.

So I headed to the waterfront with the new plugs to give them a test swim in the Arthur Kill river. I was happy, verry pleased with the way the new plugs swam and I knew they would get slammed in the future.

Until Steve Youn shows up, and hands me a new outfit and says go ahead and test it out. So I did snapping on a Fat Cat on the new outfit, and snap the first cast the bail slams shut and the plug keeps flying. With a west wind and a out going tide I see the plug heading towards Freshkills, Staten Island NY.

FCR1.png.407e4e1278868510b25712f29e6539aa.png

Well I never figured I ever see that plug again. Then a couple days later it was spotted hanging off the fence that surrounds the Fresh Kills on Staten Island.

So a friend and I take ride over there. 

fatcat5.jpg.1ca2b99aadaf9411b2c4f0668554a040.jpg

Fatcat1.jpg.98f25333cd43f7f4832c85a99a1b35e0.jpg

800 - 1000' away tangled up in a fence it stood there through two tides...:shrug:

I was right because the Bass blow-up on the swagger these plugs make... :)

FatCat16.png.15baca558616a9174809990d59728a96.png

now that's a great story,,,, that plug is def meant to be yours.

I hope you fixed it up and use it again.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

1 hour ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

now that's a great story,,,, that plug is def meant to be yours.

I hope you fixed it up and use it again.

HH

That one suffered no damage. You built a great plug there Rod. I had to plan my rescue trip around low tide, that was 2 days later, so figure it spent a good part of 4 tides under water not 2 as I said earlier. Never took on a drop of water and was fine when I recovered it.

Not to mention my backup.

Nothing like working a surface plug on still water to see fish blow up on it....:wave:

fc.jpg.58935ce02e22279771bb94df7b374a01.jpg

Edited by Lou T

2 hours ago, Lou T said:

That one suffered no damage. You built a great plug there Rod. I had to plan my rescue trip around low tide, that was 2 days later, so figure it spent a good part of 4 tides under water not 2 as I said earlier. Never took on a drop of water and was fine when I recovered it.

Not to mention my backup.

Nothing like working a surface plug on still water to see fish blow up on it....:wave:

fc.jpg.58935ce02e22279771bb94df7b374a01.jpg

Very good Lou, I'm glad you love them.

You won't find another like them.

I'm gonna post a story about a plug design of mine that drew a nice fish seemingly from dead water with few bunkers in it.

HH

Late one night on a 3/4 flood two guys were throwing wood.

the wood on both lines was made by me.

one, a medium sized rip runner surface/subsurface swimmer, the other a large 9 inch wedgehead surface/subsurface swimmer.

both of us casting across the 4 rips that were small on the far side and the massive "big  Mother" rip that has huge roils and swirls right in front of us.

there are few bunkers filtering in loose, no pods just like a few scattered individuals at a time.

there was only silence and the garbled words that rips speak when current is strongest.

I reach into my bag and put on my large wedgehead swimmer in yellow over pink.

IMG_20231108_000211.jpg.7a8f5959075e9c209af2f663a275e566.jpg

In my hand is a Quantum mocean surfstick that's like a poolstick, for slinging heavy wood as far as possible.

On top of that is a Shimano Calcutta 700-b full of 40lb Cabela's sea striker copolymer mono. 

We are casting for 2 hrs and I take a cigar break. 

My partner at the time is throwing a solid tan rip runner which is a wide bodied troller basically and he has a fish roll on it, he pulls it away.

I kinda made a face because the fish didn't touch the plug but, he reacted like it did.

In my head I was wondering wtf?, Anyway, I start casting again and I can hear the plug going schlop, schlop, schlop as it swam across the rips.

I say to him, there has to be some good fish in here,,, bait, great water, great current and it's quiet.

My partner agrees.

So I say to him where are they, it's the first week of Rocktober!,,, They should be here.

He agrees and gets splashed on again, he pulls the plug away, I say did it hit?, He says no, I pulled it.

IMG_20231108_000219.jpg.ea6db397b9f2c13baa661f8e197a80ac.jpg

I say okay, I make another cast, let it swing over then engage the reel and start bringing it across the rips.

I'm thinking there has to be a good fish here, I keep cranking and then feel the heavy drag of big mother, I can see the dark wake of my plug, I can hear that sound it makes, then it ones into view 50 feet out in the darkness,,,,,,,,, I look over to my partner and it's quiet, plug noise and rips talking is the only sound then BA-YOW!, CRASH, SMASH, BAM, BOOM, big mothers currents are all disrupted, broken, spreading out like a nuclear blast!.

The fish is thrashing, rolling and losing its mind on top, then silence as it puts its head down and tries to blast off with the tide.

It does steal some line and then digs in, I just hold the pressure on it and it comes up on top in the rips thrashing around and then it points it's finger at me and comes almost to my feet then turns and tries to burn but, the heavy drag slows it waay down.

Finally it rolls on its side and I slide it into our makeshift LZ we made in the small rocks,we moved some rocks out and created a scooped out area to slide fish into to land,2 feet wide and 4 feet long, works like a charm too.

A fine 43 inch fish wearing my plug as lipstick.

I use the lipper and when I used the pliers the belly hook came right out and the front was only dug in on one of the three on the front treble.

What an epic night it was, cool weather, great tide, nice water, bait around, no people and a solid battle,,,, what else can one ask for?,, Another the next night,,,, 

It may not be crazy but, it is wonderful. 

True story

IMG_20231108_000245.jpg.0aaaabd50c1f876644b79d59c57a8bcb.jpg

HH

3 hours ago, Lou T said:

Nice, never know what will come up from the depths 

def correct on that point.

I knew there had to be at least one close by or maybe it wasn't but heard the vibe and came to investigate.

def saved the night.

HH

Many years ago I was fishing a fair size inlet at Bahia Honda. There were a lot of small tarpon that were jumping and I wanted a shot at one. All I had for bait was a small seargent major that I had caught earlier in a bait trap. To make matters even worse the only rod I had assembled at the time was a fairly heavy boat rod but I figured go with what I had since who knew how long the small tarpon would be around. 

So I baited the rod and went to cast it (hoping to get maybe 50 yards to the middle of the inlet) but I forgot that this boat rod had all the parabolic action of a 2x4. The cast went maybe 15 yards and the seargent major landed hard on a clump of floating seaweed. I figured that was a total failure and was preparing to pull in the stunned/dead bait and try again when a great frigate spotted the little white and black fish floating on the seaweed. I was surprised to see a great frigate that close in but was even more surprised when he picked up the fish and flew off with it. The reel started to sing as the line streamed off of it but he flew on. After getting about 75 yards off he must have felt the extra weight of the line and he dropped the bait - and it fell right in the center of the inlet. 

I never did connect with a tarpon that trip despite the casting assist from the great frigate. 

"A land without memories is a people without liberty" - Robert E. Lee