Crazy fishing related stories,,,,

Rate this topic

Heavy Hooksetter

Have more stories than I wish sometimes, here's one. Block Island in the mid 80's, middle of the night, with a friend in passenger seat, driving my truck in the pouring rain, zero visibility with the wipers on fastest setting on the dirt road leading to SWPT. I could see tailights about a half mile ahead and there were headlights about the same distance behind me. I was likely driving about 5mph when all of a sudden the road collapsed under the weight of my truck (F-350, extended front bumper with truck cap) and my friend's head smashed into the windshield and the steering wheel almost broke my wrist as the road collapsed. We were both lucky. We were both in our dry suits, in between spots and not wearing our seat belts at the time. Now my truck front passenger wheel was 3 or 4 feet off the ground and the entire side of the road was collapsed. The smaller vehicle in front had no problem and turned around to help and the following vehicle soon reached the road collapse. Nobody else could enter or leave. Together the 3 vehicle's occupants dismantled a section of stone wall and rebuilt the collapsed section of road, after which we proceeded to SWPT. Can't remember off-hand if we caught or not. Found out later next day that the road was trenched for cable? installation earlier in the morning before the rain started. The road collapsed several hours later.

11 hours ago, squidder 329 said:

Maybe some wacko thought it was his spot and this was his way chasing people. Some guys are f-up in the head if you decide to go back look for that car and take a picture of it. Check the bridge for rocks stashed away, if you have time to kill sit in the lot and watch who goes.

I would hope it's not another fisherman, but you never know.  It's too far of a drive for me to play detective.  I'll leave that up to the PD who now have two complaints collaborating similiar events.

In the mid eighties, and new to Montauk.pitch dark im walking down to turtle cove. You know the tight path with chain link fence on one side and tall brush on the other. Well I hear some odd sound and a few steps later I see glowing eyes. Then it comes at me…. It’s a deer franticly trying to get past me,bouncing off the fence and brush. Needless to say I needed some time to get my nerves in check.

11 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

wow, those are happening all over the world, 3 months ago there were 4 in Russia and 2 in the middle east.

Some scientists are saying it's space debris that's burning high up, some say it's interspacial flectures, but who is to know, possibly new weapon testing.

HH

ps-i want to hear the fat cat  experience/paradox.

Don't know Rod. There was never a sound. Just the intense bright light.

This is a heavily populated are.  

14 hours ago, Lou T said:

I was fishing the Raritan Bay in Belford NJ, no more than three quarters a mile away from Earle Naval Pier.

Just myself and one other guy on the chunk. It was calm, too calm. Them a bright blinding light, lit up the entire sky. I was waiting for a blast to send me flying off my feet.

It seemed like 15 minutes went by till the guy standing there next to me said, what the Fu(k was that. I never answered. 

This is the first time I ever mentioned what happened maybe twenty some odd years ago.

There was no mention on the news of what I witnessed that night.

18 hours ago, Lou T said:

I was fishing the Raritan Bay in Belford NJ, no more than three quarters a mile away from Earle Naval Pier.

Just myself and one other guy on the chunk. It was calm, too calm. Them a bright blinding light, lit up the entire sky. I was waiting for a blast to send me flying off my feet.

It seemed like 15 minutes went by till the guy standing there next to me said, what the Fu(k was that. I never answered. 

This is the first time I ever mentioned what happened maybe twenty some odd years ago.

was this like 15 or 20 years ago lou? i was at the hook one night and something similar happened, but it looked like the light was coming from somewhere back roughly in the direction of the driscoll bridge. i kept waiting for a sound or to hear that some big factory blew up in the news that night but never did.

later, and i don't remember if it was days or weeks or longer, i read that aurora borealis can sometimes be seen in nj, and i beleve that's probably what it was in my case. what i read might have even referenced the timeframe that i saw it.

1 hour ago, rocco said:

was this like 15 or 20 years ago lou? i was at the hook one night and something similar happened, but it looked like the light was coming from somewhere back roughly in the direction of the driscoll bridge. i kept waiting for a sound or to hear that some big factory blew up in the news that night but never did.

later, and i don't remember if it was days or weeks or longer, i read that aurora borealis can sometimes be seen in nj, and i beleve that's probably what it was in my case. what i read might have even referenced the timeframe that i saw it.

Time frame was around 15 years ago.

I thought it was a explosion as well. Bright intense light, I really thought it was over for a split second. But no sound.

The Northern lights would of been welcomed compared to what I witnessed...

Many years ago...pre-cell phone days, I was fishing at night on my buddies boat running through a tight "short cut" channel leading from the inlet to the bay. Buddy runs the boat on to a sand bar going pretty fast. No damage to any of us or the boat, but we are high and dry. We get out and try to push the boat off the sand bar but we're not getting no where. Get SeaTow on the VHF and they said they'll get to us in an hour or so. Ok, we'll wait it out. It wasn't that cold (early fall) but being wet from trying to push the boat off the bar, I felt the cold as time went on. So the wives wouldn't worry, we got in touch via VHF with another friend who lives on the bay and always has his VHF on. We asked him to relay a message to the girls to let them know that we're OK, but stuck on a SAND BAR and we'll be home much later than planned!  About an hour later SeaTow gets us off the sand bar and back to the dock we go. I am really feeling the chill from the wet clothes and when I got in the car by myself to drive home, I decided to take my clothes off and turn on the car heat to warm up. I get home around 3AM and the neighborhood is quiet, nobody is around. I decided to streak across the front yard and run in the front door as quick as I can. Open the door and the wife is sitting in the living room waiting for me to get home and I knew right away from the look on her face she was fuming mad...and there I was butt naked! Why was she so mad and not in bed sleeping??? Apparently, my buddy who called the girls to let them know we were stuck on the SAND BAR told them we were stuck in THE BAR and we'll be home very late. Moral of the story---good thing we now have cell phones!              

9 mins ago, seachunk2 said:

Many years ago...pre-cell phone days, I was fishing at night on my buddies boat running through a tight "short cut" channel leading from the inlet to the bay. Buddy runs the boat on to a sand bar going pretty fast. No damage to any of us or the boat, but we are high and dry. We get out and try to push the boat off the sand bar but we're not getting no where. Get SeaTow on the VHF and they said they'll get to us in an hour or so. Ok, we'll wait it out. It wasn't that cold (early fall) but being wet from trying to push the boat off the bar, I felt the cold as time went on. So the wives wouldn't worry, we got in touch via VHF with another friend who lives on the bay and always has his VHF on. We asked him to relay a message to the girls to let them know that we're OK, but stuck on a SAND BAR and we'll be home much later than planned!  About an hour later SeaTow gets us off the sand bar and back to the dock we go. I am really feeling the chill from the wet clothes and when I got in the car by myself to drive home, I decided to take my clothes off and turn on the car heat to warm up. I get home around 3AM and the neighborhood is quiet, nobody is around. I decided to streak across the front yard and run in the front door as quick as I can. Open the door and the wife is sitting in the living room waiting for me to get home and I knew right away from the look on her face she was fuming mad...and there I was butt naked! Why was she so mad and not in bed sleeping??? Apparently, my buddy who called the girls to let them know we were stuck on the SAND BAR told them we were stuck in THE BAR and we'll be home very late. Moral of the story---good thing we now have cell phones!              

:cool:    :laugh:

Many of my crazy fishing stories I've already told here. But that last story reminded me of this incident that I don't believe I've ever told.

Not a crazy story, just circumstances. They happen fast. That's what makes the story.

Certain names will not be used to protect the innocent.

Summer of '00 or '01 on a trip with a bud to take his neighbor and neighbors buddy for a morning ride and crab/clam a bit. My bud, the captain, and I did not bring supplies as far as food or drinks, nor bait as we figured a quick joy-ride for the others and home for lunch. We get near a spot we planned to try, and the two city boys wanna stop and jump in the "beautiful blue" water. So Cap pulls around and beaches the boat on a bar just off a channel. I grab the one rig I brought and my bag, jump off and go fish. Wasn't long before I hear a yell. Look back and see Cap waving at me. Before I even start the run back I can tell that I wont be in time. The tide is running out and it's too late to push back. But I get there and we all give it a valiant try or six. 

We were high and dry, nearly 16" above the water just four feet behind the transom. And not quite low tide yet, lol.  Cap and I circled the boat, assessing the situation. Then sat down in the shade of the boat. He asked if I had somewhere to be. I said no. The neighbor and his buddy had cellphones back then and called home to report us as stuck, will be late. Cap and I decided to dig under the rear of the hull and use the engine weight as leverage to tilt and slide the boat back to the water. So we dug for an hour and found no success. We ran out of water about when a boat full of party girls stopped to check me out. I managed to get four cold beers from them, but they were not at all impressed by my fellow desert islanders, and went on their way after offering a call to sea tow. 

Just after slack tide, I had a thought and pushed on the side of the bow. The boat wanted to spin. I hollered for everyone what to do and we spun that boat around in seconds. Because we had dug out the back, the boat sat on it's true center. Then we waited maybe a half hour for the tide to start coming back and filled in our new launch slot.

We four put our shoulders into the stern and slid that sucker down into the channel like a regular launch. 

Cap and I never spoke of the incident again.

Probably because the story that everyone was told by whomever, was that we all went to the go-go bar.  Caps wife and the rest all believed it I guess. We all returned sober, sunburned, and not broke. But I guess that didn't matter. 

my wife and I were fishing one night at a spot where we had seen a buck several times that fall, plenty of tracks around and I never, ever saw deer tracks at this spot.

so we go down the trail and 8 see lots of tracks at the far end of the trail.

I was like wow, sure is a lot of deer activity here now.

so, we get t the water and start fishing, other of use do sne catching.

now as you guys know, when you go anywhere with a woman they will always have to pee.

so, mine says for me to do watch around the corner of the brush for anyone who might be coming.

I go around the corner and stand there with my back towards her watching up the trail.

I turn around and there's this buck with 6 points standing there frozen stuff, he was big too, thick neck and broad rack.

I have read where they attack hunters esp during this time of year so, my instinct was to defend myself so I pulled my colt mustang and had his dead on, the deer snorted as it turned and trotted through the thick brush.

I could hear my heart pounding for 20 minutes after that.

was a great experience too and my wife didn't see any if it but, did hear it snort.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

2 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

my wife and I were fishing one night at a spot where we had seen a buck several times that fall, plenty of tracks around and I never, ever saw deer tracks at this spot.

so we go down the trail and 8 see lots of tracks at the far end of the trail.

I was like wow, sure is a lot of deer activity here now.

so, we get t the water and start fishing, other of use do sne catching.

now as you guys know, when you go anywhere with a woman they will always have to pee.

so, mine says for me to do watch around the corner of the brush for anyone who might be coming.

I go around the corner and stand there with my back towards her watching up the trail.

I turn around and there's this buck with 6 points standing there frozen stuff, he was big too, thick neck and broad rack.

I have read where they attack hunters esp during this time of year so, my instinct was to defend myself so I pulled my colt mustang and had his dead on, the deer snorted as it turned and trotted through the thick brush.

I could hear my heart pounding for 20 minutes after that.

was a great experience too and my wife didn't see any if it but, did hear it snort.

HH

Now that's  a crazy fish story!!!

It was many years ago on the Monday night of a long Labor Day weekend. The drain plug had been pulled out of the Hamptons and the crowds left for the summer. Nobody around, so a good time to fish the end of the W Shinnecock jetty. Just about dusk i started out casting plugs as I went toward the tip. In the dimming light I could see that someone or some thing was at the tip. I worked closer and soon realized that it was a younger woman sitting with her back to me and facing toward the ocean. She seemed distraught and was moaning. OMG a jumper, I thought. What to do? Do I hurry out and grab her or start to remove my waders in case I have to jump in after her. I choose the sneak out. As I was closing the distance, her sobs were more intensified and louder. Holy crap, she's ready to jump. With this a guys head pops up from between her legs. He had been down there and she had been up in space. Now they see me and I just start casting into the inlet and not making eye contact, so not to embarrass her. Let them walk behind me and off. But no, they both stop and chat me up and then go happily on their way. AHHH, THE HAMPTONS.

48 mins ago, Cascade said:

It was many years ago on the Monday night of a long Labor Day weekend. The drain plug had been pulled out of the Hamptons and the crowds left for the summer. Nobody around, so a good time to fish the end of the W Shinnecock jetty. Just about dusk i started out casting plugs as I went toward the tip. In the dimming light I could see that someone or some thing was at the tip. I worked closer and soon realized that it was a younger woman sitting with her back to me and facing toward the ocean. She seemed distraught and was moaning. OMG a jumper, I thought. What to do? Do I hurry out and grab her or start to remove my waders in case I have to jump in after her. I choose the sneak out. As I was closing the distance, her sobs were more intensified and louder. Holy crap, she's ready to jump. With this a guys head pops up from between her legs. He had been down there and she had been up in space. Now they see me and I just start casting into the inlet and not making eye contact, so not to embarrass her. Let them walk behind me and off. But no, they both stop and chat me up and then go happily on their way. AHHH, THE HAMPTONS.

Holy Crap  ...  Now that's a crazy story