Fall/winter trout

Rate this topic

mikez2

Great shots as always.I'll be out tomorrow and Sunday. All have been rainbows lately on the ol black #14 bugger. Fish seem to have gotten picky lately.Even on rising fish.Switched to a #8 mickey fin with added grey squirrel on top. Fish hit that with great gusto doing the count down[blind casting in shallow waters. Still all bows though. Turtles are still about in the kettle pond I frequent.Sunning on a log.Last year a large one was out into mid December.

Hit a local pond in a jon boat yesterday looking to do more sniping like last weekend. Had to break up the edge ice on the way out. Plucked 3 bows and a few slab sunnies with the 6wt. Then, hit a river for a couple hours in the rain today, barely avoided the skunk with one bow on the 5wt.

icebreaker1210.jpg

bow2_1210.jpg

bow1210_1.jpg

Embrace American Privilege

On 12/10/2023 at 7:51 PM, DAQ said:

Hit a local pond in a jon boat yesterday looking to do more sniping like last weekend. Had to break up the edge ice on the way out. Plucked 3 bows and a few slab sunnies with the 6wt. Then, hit a river for a couple hours in the rain today, barely avoided the skunk with one bow on the 5wt.

icebreaker1210.jpg

bow2_1210.jpg

bow1210_1.jpg

Now that's true dedication - way to go!

I made my first winter trout outing yesterday as I fished the last 2 hours of daylight at a trout pond I fish until it ices over. It was a surprisingly slow bite. A couple of days of 50° temps didn't get a hatch going. The air pressure hadn't dropped much on Sunday as the leading edge of the rain crept in while I was there. There were very few rises. The ones that I did see were within the last hour before sunset.

I got nothing on any of my usual trout pond lures. I got one ok sized brown that hit my shiner rod right around sunset. 

brown.jpg.0201bb3cd83e75759cc9c41a0abac336.jpg

My buddy the owl that I ran into last Dec-Jan at this same pond found me.

He got a nice meal of discarded dead shiners. The owl was hanging right over my head waiting for me to throw away a shiner or catch a fish. Last Jan this owl tried to steal a brown from me that was still hooked to my Rapala lure.

This owl is more aggressive than the bald eagles in there area. Although, owls are ballsy enough to attack bald eagle nests so no surprise it would fly right by me to grab my discarded shiners. The bird even flew into my fishing poles a couple of times.

20231217_162152.jpg.be8012f9be8913bd9502aa5a102ebb35.jpg

Edited by zak-striper

32 mins ago, zak-striper said:

I made my first winter trout outing yesterday as I fished the last 2 hours of daylight at a trout pond I fish until it ices over. It was a surprisingly slow bite. A couple of days of 50° temps didn't get a hatch going. The air pressure hadn't dropped much on Sunday as the leading edge of the rain crept in while I was there. There were very few rises. The ones that I did see were within the last hour before sunset.

I got nothing on any of my usual trout pond lures. I got one ok sized brown that hit my shiner rod right around sunset. 

brown.jpg.0201bb3cd83e75759cc9c41a0abac336.jpg

My buddy the owl that I ran into last Dec-Jan at this same pond found me.

He got a nice meal of discarded dead shiners. The owl was hanging right over my head waiting for me to throw away a shiner or catch a fish.

Last Jan this owl tried to steal a brown from me that was still hooked to my Rapala lure.

This owl is more aggressive than the bald eagles in there area. Although, owls are ballsy enough to attack bald eagle nests so no surprise it would fly right by me to grab my discarded shiners. The bird even flew into my fishing poles a couple of times.

20231217_162152.jpg.be8012f9be8913bd9502aa5a102ebb35.jpg

We got skunked on our last visit. Trout were rising everywhere. Alot of slow finning slurpers. We were on the calm side and they were focused on the midges after they emerged. They were eating right out of the surface film.

We tried shiners, nighcrawlers and meal worms. Nada.

Would have been a great time to be floating out there with a fly rod.

Up until our last visit, we were getting good action on shiners. Not necessarily lots caught but lots of run offs and mauled shiners.

We also have been getting a few rainbows. 

1 min ago, mikez2 said:

Trout were rising everywhere. Alot of slow finning slurpers. We were on the calm side and they were focused on the midges after they emerged. They were eating right out of the surface film.

I tie my own flies. I want to try a casting egg with some of my midge flies, along with other patterns. I also want to try throwing wolly buggers that are attached to a kastmaster, kind of like trolling a dodger with a streamer at Quabbin. The kastmaster will be the "dodger" that is an attractant and gives the streamer some movement.

42 mins ago, zak-striper said:

I tie my own flies. I want to try a casting egg with some of my midge flies, along with other patterns. I also want to try throwing wolly buggers that are attached to a kastmaster, kind of like trolling a dodger with a streamer at Quabbin. The kastmaster will be the "dodger" that is an attractant and gives the streamer some movement.

I have done that as well. 

My go-to on the spin rod for picky midge eaters is a small meal worm under the water bobber. On Friday that didn't work which is uncommon. Every once in awhile  as every trout guy knows, they just won't F-n eat what you're throwing. 

Like Jed said, it's like albie fishing. Sometimes you slay and sometimes you see fish everywhere and can't get a bite.

The fly on a bobber is deadly when you get the hang of it. It used to be more popular 30 years ago. I remember some old timers back then that used nothing else and they always had their limit.

I find it tricky to throw without tangles and it takes awhile to get the feel for hook ups. Lots of missed hits or hits you never even know about.