New gear up 3 tube bag.

Rate this topic

hunter123

I ordered a gearup 3 tube plug bag today.  It looks like a very good bag. It has to be better than my Surfcaster 2 tube belt bag. Only problem when I was checking out to pay with my credit card, stupid paypal cut in at the end and charged me double for two bags. I hate Paypal. I emailed the man that owns Gearup . I'm sure he will take care of it. Paypal recomended I talk to him.  So instead of $ 200 bucks ,stupid paypal charged me $400 bucks. But I think the bag will work out great for me. I also have an older Shimano blue bag, it's like carrying a boulder around. Plus it's a pain in the azz to get plugs out of the square tubes.  

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

I have to tell you, The problem I had with paypal with the Gear-up bag. The man who owns the company called me just know. He said he will ship the bag tomorrow and refund the other charge for the second bag. I have never in my life dealing with companys where I have had so rapid of a responce. Gear-up is a fantastic company to deal with. I will be getting more equipment from them. I highly recomend them for there products and also great costomer care.

I recieved the Gear-up bag today, it's really nice, well made. Now I have to figure what plugs I want in there. Right now I put some needle, and some poppers. I have all the heavy plugs still in the Shimano lg bag. I have to look up what plugs are better to carry. I'll probably wear it over the shoulder for now, it felt better on my back not on the belt.

40 mins ago, hunter123 said:

I recieved the Gear-up bag today, it's really nice, well made. Now I have to figure what plugs I want in there. Right now I put some needle, and some poppers. I have all the heavy plugs still in the Shimano lg bag. I have to look up what plugs are better to carry. I'll probably wear it over the shoulder for now, it felt better on my back not on the belt.

Rotate as the time and conditions dictate.

Here's three different basic loads for the same boulderfields dependant on seasonal conditions, weather, phase, surf, etc.

Screenshot_20231106_224700_VSCO.jpg.7f13b52b24344f72aa13a61e6ef4c7f2.jpg

Screenshot_20231106_224733_VSCO.jpg.f406fc1d1314040d5fb804fedcad363b.jpg

Screenshot_20231106_224820_VSCO.jpg.ae196778db9bcfa7c2a9502866e68ed4.jpg

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

11 mins ago, hunter123 said:

Thanks sandbar, I have some of those plugs. Your right I have to learn to just load what I need in the bag.  Tight lines.

If you know the waters and how they fish you can really limit what plugs your carrying. Much more enjoyable and productive to not be fishing out of a 20# tangled mess of a bag.

Chasing false echoes

DITCH TROLL 333

Love my gear ups. Got the 3 tube and the bucktail pouch that never leave my belt. The pouch holds a few small plugs and a few paddletails in addition to the jigs. (And a few larger jigs in the slots within the 3 tube bag.)

@hunter123 I use the Shimano large bag for overflow plugs but that stays in the trunk and the plugs get rotated to the gear up. 

Also, it’s nice to use the tube separator inserts - especially at night. I fit less overall offerings using them in 2 of 3 tubes, but the ease of use is worth it. 

I usually reach for a bucktail, a storm shad, a plastic swimmer or a glider more than anything else. Metal lips occasionally. The rest are largely place & time dependent. 

Good luck with the bag & the catching. 

6 hours ago, Cascade said:

From the looks of the top two combos, the Redfin is the most battered warrior. No surprise there.

I rotate through boxes and crates of plugs but certain ones just end up attracting the mojo and finding a place in the bag more nights than not.

Chasing false echoes

DITCH TROLL 333

Gear up bags and the GU owner are really good. The three tube is a great size. Like Sanbar stated, loading (not overloading) the bag is important and should be based on spot(s) to be fished, conditions and time of season. Tube dividers are also something you should look into. They help keep plugs apart and hooks untangled. I usually get by with 6-9 plugs and some bucktails, a sluggo or two and a few soft plastics and lead head combos.