Don't be Dumb

Rate this topic

Mike Oliver

On my way back home from the US this week I was talking with a friend about his experience of guiding  on a Salmon river in Norway. The cost to take part for a single week made it the preserve of rich people,or wealthy business owners or blue collar like me who had saved up for maybe the trip of a life time.

Many of the participants were pretty average and unable to get their flies to the fish. Some were even worse and my friend ended up having to give casting lessons to some of them. This had strains of what happens with Ghilies.in Scotland. Now if not.catching was not an issue then no problems but some suffered disappointment and no doubt laid the blame at the lodges door. They read the adverts and saw the glossy pictures of guys grinning holding big Salmon imagining that this would be them. Totally unreasonable of course but that's today's world. Trying to buy fish plainly does not work mostly. If the people struggling had invested in sufficient casting lessons and book reading some Y tubing and more fishing on home waters it would pay back many times over.  Many have just wasted a great deal of money and time and their reward justified by failure.

It is so fundamental that to have any chance of catching a fish we must first of all get our fly to it and then controls its depth and drift.  These destinations do often offer greater potential numbers of fish than back home and that is the seduction line of the Outfitters. But if we are not on our game we will be merely sight seeing. We have influence over our abilities but then there is the compound effect of conditions and no fish present or running. I had experience of this trying  for Steelhead for the first time. But at least I enjoyed the trip as I had prepared as well as I could and fished hard. I had put myself in with a shout.

Just airing some thoughts from this side of the pond.

I hope it helps.

Mike

40 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

On my way back home from the US this week I was talking with a friend about his experience of guiding  on a Salmon river in Norway. The cost to take part for a single week made it the preserve of rich people,or wealthy business owners or blue collar like me who had saved up for maybe the trip of a life time.

Many of the participants were pretty average and unable to get their flies to the fish. Some were even worse and my friend ended up having to give casting lessons to some of them. This had strains of what happens with Ghilies.in Scotland. Now if not.catching was not an issue then no problems but some suffered disappointment and no doubt laid the blame at the lodges door. They read the adverts and saw the glossy pictures of guys grinning holding big Salmon imagining that this would be them. Totally unreasonable of course but that's today's world. Trying to buy fish plainly does not work mostly. If the people struggling had invested in sufficient casting lessons and book reading some Y tubing and more fishing on home waters it would pay back many times over.  Many have just wasted a great deal of money and time and their reward justified by failure.

It is so fundamental that to have any chance of catching a fish we must first of all get our fly to it and then controls its depth and drift.  These destinations do often offer greater potential numbers of fish than back home and that is the seduction line of the Outfitters. But if we are not on our game we will be merely sight seeing. We have influence over our abilities but then there is the compound effect of conditions and no fish present or running. I had experience of this trying  for Steelhead for the first time. But at least I enjoyed the trip as I had prepared as well as I could and fished hard. I had put myself in with a shout.

Just airing some thoughts from this side of the pond.

I hope it helps.

Mike

Snagging goes on everywhere and certainly the Salmon river in NY, the internet has given glory to the pictures of liners and staggers , Its the choice of those who find it easier, guides included.

1 hour ago, Mike Oliver said:

There will be guys like that. There are the others who do think that they can just turn up and catch. When they fail often they are surprised and disappointed. No matter how good the fishing is, it still requires skill to get the job done.

Often this is lacking

Mike

That’s the thing with fly fishing it’s a serious life commitment. I used to gear fish and I caught a lot of fish but I decided one day to take up fly fishing and it’s been a journey 

Destination fishing is something we all dream about.  None of us are prepared for the task on our first visits. The reality is that we all fall short of making the mark, often require guides, and have been easily seduced by destination marketing.

I am sure every local on the planet considers each one of us dumb, for traveling the planet, paying a guide, and releasing fish that could be dinner.  Regardless of how well you presented the fly or how many fish we can catch, we aren't too bright. If we really sit down and break it down, we are pretty stupid and simple organisms.

Last year, I targeted bonefish for the first time.  I am doing it for the experience and to try something new.  The reality is I can never be a great bonefisher, because of the interval, but it will round me as a fisherman.

Flyfishing is branded as an elitist activity. Let alone destination fishing, some of my local trout water is lined with folk who emptied their wallets on gear they dont know how to use.  This is put and take water, a stutter step away from a trout park designation.  It is entertaining to watch them fumble around and struggle with a 15 foot cast. I can outfish most of them with a hundred dollar tenkara rod. 

Cracks me up these guys with thier serious demeanor and scoul as the march right into the middle of a run or stand in a seam that minutes ago fish were rising in.  It always puts a smile on my face and validates that at least  "Today,  I am not the dumbest of them all".

Edited by puppet

In one of my business trips to Detroit when I was still working I was driving back to the Residence Inn and noticed numerous vehicles parked all over the grass and people gathered down at a small creek I pulled over and witnessed people grabbing steelhead by hand and tossing them on the bank. There must of been close to a dozen fish flopping around. This creek even today I could even jump over.

I guess sometimes knowledge, equipment, training, and practice come a distant second to being in the right place at exactly the night time. Especially, if one is willing to violate the law for the ability to have fresh fish.

Edited by Jim DE

3 mins ago, Jim DE said:

In one of my business trips to Detroit when I was still working I was driving back to the Residence Inn and noticed numerous vehicles parked all over the grass and people gathered down at a small creek I pulled over and witnessed people grabbing steelhead by hand and tossing them on the bank. There must of been close to a dozen fish flopping around. This creek even today I could even jump over.

I guess sometimes knowledge, equipment, training, and practice come a distant second to being in the right place at exactly the night time. Especially, if one is willing to violate the law for the ability to have fresh fish.

Spring floods create that scenario, how about steelhead swimming across a road in Altmar! 

59 mins ago, puppet said:

Destination fishing is something we all dream about.  None of us are prepared for the task on our first visits. The reality is that we all fall short of making the mark, often require guides, and have been easily seduced by destination marketing.

I am sure every local on the planet considers each one of us dumb, for traveling the planet, paying a guide, and releasing fish that could be dinner.  Regardless of how well you presented the fly or how many fish we can catch, we aren't too bright. If we really sit down and break it down, we are pretty stupid and simple organisms.

Last year, I targeted bonefish for the first time.  I am doing it for the experience and to try something new.  The reality is I can never be a great bonefisher, because of the interval, but it will round me as a fisherman.

Flyfishing is branded as an elitist activity. Let alone destination fishing, some of my local trout water is lined with folk who emptied their wallets on gear they dont know how to use.  This is put and take water, a stutter step away from a trout park designation.  It is entertaining to watch them fumble around and struggle with a 15 foot cast. I can outfish most of them with a hundred dollar tenkara rod. 

Cracks me up these guys with thier serious demeanor and scoul as the march right into the middle of a run or stand in a seam that minutes ago fish were rising in.  It always puts a smile on my face and validates that at least  "Today,  I am not the dumbest of them all".

Yes you can. You’re a good fisherman and those skills transfer across to other fisheries. I’m not saying that there isn’t a learning curve still, there definitely is. But you’ll get better at it quicker than you think.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

12 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Slip n slide was telling me about guys fishing in pools of otherwise dried up rivers. Or at the dam shoulder to shoulder in the Catt. Kinda hard to understand that type of behaviour.  Same over here with guys seeking recent stockings.

?????????

mike

next time you are in cleveland let me know,you can fish steelie,rocky river,shagrin rive,grand river,you can stay at my house for free and i would give you ride and evning night fish for eyes casting off the rocks,last week 30" eyes were coming out.

check out fresh water fishing report some pictures.