Medical Insurance Costs- out of pocket

Rate this topic

Highlander1

5 mins ago, capequahog said:

dentals the one that sucks for me, once you get past the 2 annual cleanings , your up the creek for the rest of it

Also depends on the Medicare plan you choose, it is included in many as a benefit.

All dental insurance sucks, but if you are on a medicare supplement plan you could look into something like Delta dental or the other private plans out there.  Or call a local medicare insurance broker who knows what plan sucks least in your area.

21 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

Maybe up your brushing to daily? 

You'll get old some day or maybe not :) , or maybe you'll be lucky and be blessed with good teef. I been going religiously to the dentist since I was 8, nothing but trouble from the start. I will admit to very seldom brushing at night , probably the most important time as all the days foods/drinks start the rot process. I wish you the best of luck, other wise, its break out the check book time and you'll be crying it isn't considered healthcare too. 

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

53 mins ago, Tom T said:

Also depends on the Medicare plan you choose, it is included in many as a benefit.

All dental insurance sucks, but if you are on a medicare supplement plan you could look into something like Delta dental or the other private plans out there.  Or call a local medicare insurance broker who knows what plan sucks least in your area.

good advice for most, i’ll probably stay with what i have as i’m kinda rounding home at this point

open borders :thdwn:

On 11/19/2023 at 10:05 AM, JimP said:

One really good thing about being career military is we finally have excellent coverage.  We opted out of the net for our tricare coverage so my co-pays are about 50 bucks a whack, but this past year or so I've had some issues wherein I've had to see leading neurologists, have a ****-ton of tests performed, I've fallen down two flights of concrete stairs and busted my **** up pretty good, some recent cardiology testing for weird ongoing issues, etc.  Opted into the UT Health system and they couldn't be any better.  just 50 bucks a whack to go see the hot-**** cardiologist who's running all the tests.  No other payments.  

We had to opt out of the system as the Air Force Rupert I went to see one day took 20 minutes of my 30 minute appointment giving me a penmanship lesson because he didn't like how I wrote something.  I about killed him.  Never did address the reason I was there.  

Crazy that the air force can run wilfred hall medical center or landstuhl while you wouldnt want the doctors we had in upstate ny working on your dog. 

1 hour ago, Dave588 said:

Crazy that the air force can run wilfred hall medical center or landstuhl while you wouldnt want the doctors we had in upstate ny working on your dog. 

Concur!!  I just had a string of Rupert’s.  Had to go private before I got myself further into trouble. 

2 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

You'll get old some day or maybe not :) , or maybe you'll be lucky and be blessed with good teef. I been going religiously to the dentist since I was 8, nothing but trouble from the start. I will admit to very seldom brushing at night , probably the most important time as all the days foods/drinks start the rot process. I wish you the best of luck, other wise, its break out the check book time and you'll be crying it isn't considered healthcare too. 

Really?  Come on, man.  Brush twice a day. Floss once a day.  It ain't nearly the pain in the ass that getting and paying for 8 implants is.

3 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

Last appointment my dentist said patients he sees on Saturdays have the healthiest teeth. Maybe start going on Saturdays.

About $1900/mo for my wife & me.  Employer pays half.  In my 60s. 

Same coverage for someone in their 30s is about $1100/mo

Silver level coverage. 

Deductible is $1.9K individual $3.88K family

Coinsurance is 35%

Prescriptions most are $25 for 90 days

Max out of pocket for individual is $8.55K, family is $17K 

obamacare, corrupt politicians & greedy insurance companies had a major impact.

On 11/17/2023 at 4:35 PM, Highlander1 said:

Never paid a dime for medical insurance until about 10 years ago, fees then were about $250 a month for a family plan with excellent coverage. Today, those fees are over $700 a month for just my wife and I and increasing at a rate than can't be imagined, 28% this upcoming year. I will say, the coverage is terrific, $10 Co-pay on doc visits, $3 prescription on most scrips, some are  as high as $9 but not a showstopper. Time spent in a horsepital is paid 100% with no deductible. Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield Direct 10 Plan is how its identified, supposedly cost to my employer is over $27K a year.

It appears it ends at having good coverage, I can sign up for the plan they are promoting at 50% less than my current costs. Problem is its a managed plan that restricts doctor and hospital choices unless they are approved or in the plan (doubtful). This plan may fit young healthy folks ok, but as you age, health care becomes more of a concern. I will go on Medicare in July and reduce my costs substantially as my employer reimburses for wife and I medicare costs and they will provide a supplemental plan to cover the 20% Medicare doesn't which will cost around $200 a month for both of us, manageable and reasonable.

Just wondering if most folks are paying these kind of fees or higher and what kind of coverage they provide? $700+ a month which almost puts a new Vette ($65K) in my driveway. if I wasn't going on Medicare in 8 months I'd be looking at almost $1k a month, thats mortgage talk from my old bones.

I'd hate to be a young earner with a family, the future looks dark and stormy as far as healthcare costs go. And it doesn't cover dental (separate plan) no cost, not worth much either, paid $59K over the last 2 years out of pocket for implants (8), bridges and other work like root canals and crowns, it adds up quickly. Why isn't dental or eyeglass plans covered under medical insurance? 

So, whats everyone paying or not, I'm sure most companies aren't picking up the tab, partials but not too many full rides is how I see it. Big rip off.

This chart May answer your question…

0F69E650-9A23-4BCA-869B-0CCF00BE2366.jpeg

I love when we make way past the breakwater at first light and head out, there's nothing better, the whole rest of the world just melts away for me.

(*edited - member formerly known as 'windknot')