New York Rangers 23-24

Rate this topic

espo@mtkpnt

8 hours ago, Drew T said:

Yeah I can agree with you there @spiegs71. They need a guy to go in there and grind. They have great chemistry as a team already so bringing in another finesse guy that wont mesh right away is always a gamble.

killed me last year when the got Kane, i knew it was gonna blow up in their face.

Guy i wanted most was Barbachev who went to the Knights and earned himself a nice extension. 

That is the type of player they need - like a Goodrow with better hands and speed.

Two good back-to-back wins for the boys. Not the prettiest but I think those are both games that we would have lost last year and complained about. Some highlights for me:

• Shesty playing the puck and looking like he wasn't in his head in the 3rd period against Nashville. Aggressive positioning in 1v1 was clutch
  • The Kreider-Mika-Brodz line
  • Laf continuing to step up on both sides of the puck
  • Panarin making plays between the blue lines, getting gritty and finishing offensive opportunities. Looks like he's really having fun, loved how he was crashing the goal to score on rebound opportunities last night 
  • Vinny Trocheck 

Our giveaway to, takeaway to, and defensive zone giveaways to opponents is about average across the league but we'll have to tighten that up down the stretch against better teams. 

Final thought - Duclair looked awesome last night

Yeah not the best defensive play either game but a wins a win, always tough to judge on those back to back games. Still alot of time for Shesterkin but he still has not looked the same after comming back from his injury. Panarin looks so much different this year, I love seeing a 15-20-35 stat line instead of something like 7-28-35 which has been his usual.

The Metro standings are not what I thought they would be at this point. I would have bet alot of money that it would be NYR-CAR-NJD, in any order, running away with the division. At this point it looks like it open for whoever wants in.  

1 hour ago, fdhog said:

Played a good game against Boston, but Shisterkin still doesn't look as sharp as he was before he got hurt. Quick has been a godsend. Nothing like having a 3 time cup winner as your second goalie.

Shesty looked more confident last night than he has in the last few weeks, I liked his positioning (besides that one play) but he gave up a lot of big rebounds. Strong defense through the whole game though, and I loved the two goals scoring set plays. 

Thank god for Quick and Trocheck. 

Bigger concern is the frequency of hits like Pastrnak’s throughout the league this year. I read he’s not getting a hearing, eventually it’s going to end poorly. 

Best performance of the season last night?

Shesty looked like he had his swagger back, making some really strong stick plays and holding onto the puck. Loved the offensive zone control, physicality and we finally put the puck on the net all night instead of playing hot potato. Really glad to see Key back in the lineup skating strong and laying the body down. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2024 at 5:12 PM, spiegs71 said:

not looking too good for the past few weeks - kakko back is good to see wonder what they will do as it gets closer to the deadline, 

hopefully can beat the woeful ducks tonight

Things have not been great, trying to find positives but we’re slumping pretty hard. I’m frustrated by the lack of hustle from out top line. Kreider going 7 games without scoring and Mika struggling on 5v5 will not hold us over come playoffs. Glad Kappo is back and reports are looking positive for Chytil. We need this All Star break bad, I just wish Igor could get the time off. 

IMG_3673.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...