November 2023 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

recoil

12 hours ago, Snaps said:

Wow, nice.   I find that amazing, catching bass on a fly, I can't even  catch em on a effing plug let alone a fly.

Ever use a teaser? Hmmmm....

"Depend not on fortune, but on conduct."

Fished 5am-930am in OC. Waded out to a few bars in the dark.  Nothing.  Sun came up fish became more active but just out casting range. Seems like every shead boat and recreational boat  was in a 5 mile stretch of beach.  Had one blow up on a SS heavy popper and that was it.  

I was at the right place but the wrong time today. But such is life. Nice day out with my big brother who I haven’t seen in years. Congrats to those who stayed and were rewarded. Will try again Monday hopefully. 

"With all things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be the right one..."

(*member formerly known as 'adoboboy')

36 mins ago, Master Debaiter said:

that’s awesome that you got to be with your brother, today I got a phone call from my youngest son who I haven’t heard from in 10 weeks because he’s at Marine Corps training, can’t wait to see him graduate a Marine in 3 weeks 

Congrats on your son joining the Marines.  Our grandson graduates boot camp San Diego on Weds.  We wish we could be there but health issues preclude it.  Not sure what his MOS will be.  Should hear later next week.  

Edited by bill cunnane
misspell

Work gets in the way of me fishing the day bites that have been going on, but I've found myself a nice little night bite hat's becoming somewhat consistent. Nothing big.  Mostly 26-28  inch fish. But I'm all alone and enjoying the peace and quiet. 

Edited by JimK

"Russian War Ship.. go f*#k yourself"

On 11/3/2023 at 9:38 PM, bill cunnane said:

Bass on a fly is the ultimate.  I was first introduced to salt water fly fishing back in 1965 by Dick Tilton.  We got all of our gear at Capt. Colvins shop in Seaside Park.  Learned the hard way with a tarpon rod 9 wt line and home tied flies  ,  I use to use last years Christmas tree tinsel to add shine to the flies along with died deer tail.  I was 16 yrs old then.  I learned to wear a hat after having to pick several flies out of the back of my head.  Yep the wind was never my friend at first.  I use to make surface poppers by cutting torpedo bait floats in half  epoxy a hook in them paint them and add bucktail to boot.  We didn't have plastic eyes then so the end of a wood dowel dipped in paint was our answer to getting the eye patterns.  Dick was with me when I hooked my first bass.  It was only about 24" but to me is was my PB.  The bass was hooked and so was I.  Back then we didn't use stripping baskets  Just coiled the line in our hands.  You learned fast to not get your fingers in the coils if you got a fish on.  THat first run the bass made taught you the lesson real quick.  It warms my heart to see guys taking bass on the fly.  Great going guys.  Keep up the good work.   

Correct me if wrong but believe you now live in Indiana. If so guess tough week out there with the Coach passing. Loved watching him on fishing shows with Jerry McKinnis and I swear I remember him on old American sportsman show along with Ted Williams. 

47 mins ago, JerseyJeb said:

Fishing fleet out in full force at a certain spot in the back. Counted 27 motorized boats and 15 fishing kayaks on my coffee break.  Beautiful morning to be out even if you are not catching. 

Yea , the armada was out in full force