Jump to content

Maine Public Hearing Regarding ASMFC Striped Bass Draft Addendum II for Amendment 7 on December 14

Rate this topic


Roccus7

Recommended Posts

Mark your calendars!!

 

The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission has scheduled public hearings on Draft Addendum II to Amendment 7, which considers management measures designed to support stock rebuilding by reducing fishing mortality to the target in 2024. The public hearing in Maine will be held on December 14 at 6:00pm.  This is a hybrid hearing meaning stakeholders can join in-person or via webinar.

In-Person: 
Maine DMR Office – Augusta
Room 118, Marquardt Building
32 Blossom Lane, Augusta

Webinar:

Join on your computer, mobile app or room device
Meeting ID: 249 648 735 389 Passcode: UXEtrQ
Or call in (audio only)
+1 207-209-4724,,397100101#   United States, Portland
Phone Conference ID: 397 100 101#

 

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

 

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, RAW said:
  • Will look forward to hearing recommendations, and are they possible? 

If you read the document you will see ASMFC's classic "Chinese Restaurant Menu" options. 

 

These are my thoughts.  I'm sure many will disagree and that's fine.  I'm guessing that the Council already have their minds made up and doing the hearings just to tick that box, and they'll do what they agreed to.

  • I HATE when they give the "For Hire" group a different set of regs than the Recreational ones because both groups are in the Recreational pool.  To me this is almost like saying someone is Almost Pregnant.  If they're in the Recreational Sector, then they should have the same rules.  If they're Commercial, then add a quota for them and put them with the Commercials.  I know this will never happen, but one can dream.
     
  • As far as the slot for 2024, I'd like to see a continuation of the 28-31" slot.  No need to go back to 28-less than 35" slot. Let's continue to protect the 2015 year class.  
     
  • Have ALL the commercial fisheries abide by the same slot as the recreational one.  In MA, where they can keep larger fish, it's an incentive for folks to go "Recremercial", especially since it's easy and inexpensive to get a commercial striped bass license.  EVERBODY should be fishing to the same slot, whatever ASMFC decides upon.
     
  • It's time for ASMFC to put serious pressure on all the states with a significant spawn to NOT allow fishing on the spawning grounds and the staging area during the spawn.  Allowing this fishing is just plain insane!!!

Just my 2¢, flame away.

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

 

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

If you read the document you will see ASMFC's classic "Chinese Restaurant Menu" options. 

 

These are my thoughts.  I'm sure many will disagree and that's fine.  I'm guessing that the Council already have their minds made up and doing the hearings just to tick that box, and they'll do what they agreed to.

  • I HATE when they give the "For Hire" group a different set of regs than the Recreational ones because both groups are in the Recreational pool.  To me this is almost like saying someone is Almost Pregnant.  If they're in the Recreational Sector, then they should have the same rules.  If they're Commercial, then add a quota for them and put them with the Commercials.  I know this will never happen, but one can dream.
     
  • As far as the slot for 2024, I'd like to see a continuation of the 28-31" slot.  No need to go back to 28-less than 35" slot. Let's continue to protect the 2015 year class.  
     
  • Have ALL the commercial fisheries abide by the same slot as the recreational one.  In MA, where they can keep larger fish, it's an incentive for folks to go "Recremercial", especially since it's easy and inexpensive to get a commercial striped bass license.  EVERBODY should be fishing to the same slot, whatever ASMFC decides upon.
     
  • It's time for ASMFC to put serious pressure on all the states with a significant spawn to NOT allow fishing on the spawning grounds and the staging area during the spawn.  Allowing this fishing is just plain insane!!!

Just my 2¢, flame away.

You’re right on, different rules for states has caused our (Maine) decline. If stripers were made a Gamefish with no harvesting things would change, but never to happen and laws are rarely enforced 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll probably get disagreement here, but I personally don't feel the need to eat a striper.  I think a good first move is to make the fishery c&r only, at least for a few years to see the affect.  I'm sure for hire boats will still make $$ with c&r.  As far as commercial, I cringe when I see striped bass on a menu, so commercial can pound sand.  Maybe it's even time for a "striper stamp" to be included with liscence purchase, since a Maine liscence + $1 gets us access to salt plus reciprocity.  Regarding the 2015 class, I think I've caught more slots this year than the last few.  I think we saw more size early on because of that.  More slots is more "keepers".  Maybe just me...

Edited by Skunkoff
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

I'll probably get disagreement here, but I personally don't feel the need to eat a striper.  I think a good first move is to make the fishery c&r only, at least for a few years to see the affect.  I'm sure for hire boats will still make $$ with c&r.  As far as commercial, I cringe when I see striped bass on a menu, so commercial can pound sand.  Maybe it's even time for a "striper stamp" to be included with liscence purchase, since a Maine liscence + $1 gets us access to salt plus reciprocity.  Regarding the 2015 class, I think I've caught more slots this year than the last few.  I think we saw more size early on because of that.  More slots is more "keepers".  Maybe just me...

Money train can’t be stopped, but maybe it can be slowed? A popular restaurant fish in Florida is Sway, they can’t even tell you what it is! But it stays frozen forever. Maybe baby seps approach, this was a fun season of bigger fish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 mins ago, RAW said:

Money train can’t be stopped, but maybe it can be slowed? A popular restaurant fish in Florida is Sway, they can’t even tell you what it is! But it stays frozen forever. Maybe baby seps approach, this was a fun season of bigger fish.

We'll see what the next hearing brings.  I'm working all weekend so won't see it.  

 

I've had swai before (from the store).  I think it's like a flounder and they farm them in places like Vietnam.  Taste pretty good, very mild.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

We'll see what the next hearing brings.  I'm working all weekend so won't see it.  

 

I've had swai before (from the store).  I think it's like a flounder and they farm them in places like Vietnam.  Taste pretty good, very mild.

Swai is raised in barrels like cesspools, lol ! I’ll be tuned in just to see comments and thoughts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Skunkoff said:

We'll see what the next hearing brings.  I'm working all weekend so won't see it.  

 

I've had swai before (from the store).  I think it's like a flounder and they farm them in places like Vietnam.  Taste pretty good, very mild.

 

1 hour ago, RAW said:

Swai is raised in barrels like cesspools, lol ! I’ll be tuned in just to see comments and thoughts

 

You nailed that RAW, and to me, swai tastes like crap, I wonder why?

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

 

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/12/2023 at 8:50 AM, Skunkoff said:

We'll see what the next hearing brings.  I'm working all weekend so won't see it.  

 

I've had swai before (from the store).  I think it's like a flounder and they farm them in places like Vietnam.  Taste pretty good, very mild.

Swai is a type of Asian catfish, which were originally grown under some, ah, questionable conditions.

 

The attached New York Times article says it all.  https://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/magazine/12catfish-t.html

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with RAW on game fish status,  no chance up here in NE or mid Atlantic states, I've said it a dozen times Florida has put it's valuable game fish on a schedule of closed season and no commercial sales.  Guess what, Snook and tarpon as well as many other fish  are thriving.  Guides support this program to a wide majority , enforcement is very strict so compliance is very good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, John P said:

Snook and tarpon as well as many other fish  are thriving

 

Using C&R of tarpon as a case for the same for stripers is jut plain wrong.  Never has anyone ever described tarpon as being a culinary delight!!  So when a full C&R regime with in-water unhooking, nobody protested, other than those who wanted a mounted one for the wall of their den, but modern taxidermy has taken care of that.  Furthermore, there was never a commercial fishery for tarpon.

 

Snook, a wonderful fish to eat, is also a poor example of a C&R only fishery.  That's not true; it does have restrictive seasons and tight slot for RETENTION, but you can play C&R all day with them.  

 

Stripers have that restrictive slot, so they're on a par with Snook minus the short retention seasons, and the commercial fishery.  I'd feel more strongly about losing the commercial catch IF it were a major contributor to fish mortality, but like it or not, us recreational anglers are the biggest problem.  It's time for those who pontificate about having others conserve their fish, work on conserving their own fish.

 

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

 

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...