Anyone Use Suspended or Suspending Flies

Rate this topic

TopStriperAngler

I do use balanced streamers for crappie. You put bead on brass sewing pin ahead of the eye . Make 1 prototype and decide if you need to move pin and bead closer or further from eye and keep that distance for the rest of your batch. I use a 90 degree jig hook. Works great for suspended crappie on a floating line. Also to test the balance do it it a cup of water when fly is wet . Makes a difference on determining the placement of bead for proper balance.

@The Graveyard Shift thanks for sharing the link to that neat SBS. Say, how are you fishing the suspending fly and do find it important to fish suspended fly or is just another approach but not critical at times? I know you also bobber fish crab patterns that is an interesting subject too. Because suspension. 

@onthefly good stuff and you fish that under a bobber or does the floating line hold up the fly? 

As both of you note its all about balance for this suspension deal. 

I was thinking on the shallow water gamechanger and made two of them a small and big one. These have foam on most of the articulated sections. 1) They sink really really slowly to be virtually suspending patterns. Also, 2) the foam distribution makes for a level posture. Then there's one more thing 3) they tend to display a good bit of movement from any movement of the fly line on them. Downside: virtually incastable. 

In Florida I was tying my version of a Johnny King Hoo fly. The tail is made of craft fur and the body is using Senyo lazer dubbing. You use liquid fusion on the lazer dubbing almost like epoxy. I put multiple coats of the fusion and it eventually builds a “hard shell”. 

when you cast the fly it will initially float a bit. Eventually it will sink a bit but generally sits neutral just below the surface. When you retrieve the fly, if you give it sharp tugs or if you twitch the rod tip, it has a great darting motion, kind of continues gliding.

Ive caught snook, reds, juvi-tarpon , jacks etc., on these flys.67874444357__20685D70-3532-47FE-9D75-1EA1CCC62D1F.jpeg.94ad96a205b656b8707814d0990faa71.jpeg

1 hour ago, TopStriperAngler said:

@The Graveyard Shift thanks for sharing the link to that neat SBS. Say, how are you fishing the suspending fly and do find it important to fish suspended fly or is just another approach but not critical at times? I know you also bobber fish crab patterns that is an interesting subject too. Because suspension. 

@onthefly good stuff and you fish that under a bobber or does the floating line hold up the fly? 

As both of you note its all about balance for this suspension deal. 

I was thinking on the shallow water gamechanger and made two of them a small and big one. These have foam on most of the articulated sections. 1) They sink really really slowly to be virtually suspending patterns. Also, 2) the foam distribution makes for a level posture. Then there's one more thing 3) they tend to display a good bit of movement from any movement of the fly line on them. Downside: virtually incastable. 

Yes you could fish a popper dropper that would suspended it. I do that on the river with smalliies and a balanced wolly bugger  and gurgler. When I make size 8 or smaller I can get away with just a fly line. For saltwater you maybe could do a crease fly and maybe a size 1 or so. Give it a try maybe you can  come up with a combo that works 

This is a pic of the balanced perch fly.  A guy named Phil Rowley has a series of YouTube vids on tying balanced flies.   Popular for stillwater trout fishermen in the Sierra Nevada at places like Lake Crowley and in Nevada at Pyramid Lake.  Usually fished under a float.  

balaceperch.webp.695e68e411df7c053c2101380d0baeea.webp

An option for that is a Float N Fly rig, developed and marketed by a North Carolina guide named Gary Dubiel.  It's basically a popping cork for a fly rod.  I'm sure there are other people who have developed something similar.  You can buy them from Fish Skull, but they are also easily homemade.  They work great for bull redfish in the Neuse and Pamlico here in NC.  A bit unwieldy to cast but with the right rod and line combo you can get them out there a ways.  

fltnfly.webp.9a8152e03549b38ac851d4da6945bf99.webp

• 4 weeks later...

Still no luck on my suspendo-matic fly and the fish are getting really really hard to find. I tied on a slider crease fly that gets into the suspending area after the foam soaks up a  bit of water and was able to present that to a fish and hooked up working that slowly with pauses over the fish. Got a nice look at his head as he took the fly it was fun.