Anyone Use Suspended or Suspending Flies

Rate this topic

TopStriperAngler

Anyone found just slight less than neutral buoyant or suspended subsurface flies to be key at times? Was curious about smaller stuff in particular. Either something that is just slightly less than neutral buoyant (sinks really slow) from materials on the hook or a fly you like to fish under a float or a floating fly like gurgler. Shrimp come to mind as they suspend under surface. Thinking night time using float line.  

I've made some crease fly type baitfish flies that I cut down the heads on until they just barely sink. Painstaking. Never figured out if it they provided value.

The little spearing type baitfish I see at night often suspend a couple to several inches below surface so was thinking on mimicking that. Something that can be paused without sinking but ideally sit level. Messing with a float attach by bite wire to fly.Dunno if worth trouble.  

Edited by TopStriperAngler

2 hours ago, HL said:

My fishing buddy gave me some "floating" sandeel flies.

Same foam as a gurgler - but very sparse.  more like a slider.  Fishes very close to the surface.

Herb

That sound close to about where I gotten really tiny foam heads. The hard part I had on those was getting them to not sink too fast and also to sink level altho I guess there's lot of flies that do that unintentionally still some nose dive. 

The mono attached to the nose of the fly tends to lead to the fly rotating bend down tho is the thing. 

Prototyping on a suspended fly using foam just needs to find some fish to work on. Found a couple but they don't hang around. 

Thinking for both stillwater but also dead drifting them as when you do a live bait type deal with these small baits letting the line get carried off the spool by the current is deadly they love that presentation. 

Those are great looking. I have had some luck with floating bait flies at times but I haven't foudn them to be super killer when there is clear signs on surface of activity and I'm wondering if for the bait I'm on it's that the bait is a few inches down and I'm seeing the swirls not surface grabs. Meantime, the stripers may not be at all interested in any thing disturbing the surface film at this time. 

Bucktail, hackle,  and light hooks can create some amount of suspending slow sinking behavior.

Floating or barely sub surface is different than suspending.

Suspending, no matter where in the water column just means a naturalistic pause.  There are tons of things that can effect posture.  Drag, leader, current, and micro currents.

I have a salt sink tank but realistically you need to test with flyline and leader in the conditions.  

Yeah exactly on that puppet. Naturalistic pause as in a baitfish going to and fro, pausing, and continuing. 

Or lazily drifting in the current at the speed of everything else, quietly blending in, then kicking upstide a foot or two, before again becoming still in the current and the bass he seen that movement and nails the bait. 

That's what I'm thinking on exploring. As opposed to those other things as you mentioned which are also interesting.

Right now the idea is 1) downstream drag free presentation feeding line into current and 2) fishing flats without current when fish on bait there. 

The interesting question is whether it will worth the time to present in this slow manner as opposed ot others. I know with live bait the downstream presentation is dynamite.  

3 hours ago, TopStriperAngler said:

The interesting question is whether it will worth the time to present in this slow manner as opposed ot others. I know with live bait the downstream presentation is dynamite.  

I always mix up my presentations.  Strip speed, strip length, pause time, column depth, etc.

In current, it is often more the swing arc and depth, than about embellishing.   Trying to time the broadside and turn over different structure.  My hand at this is still in early stages.

I feel a pause suspend, the move is always a great trigger to try, but lean on it most in slower or still current.

In terms of feeding line out, I think it's worth a try, but also feel the surface area of flyline is so great that it might be challenging to get the result you envision.

The best thing we can do is observe the cause and effect of our flies, leader, and flyline, under different conditions.

Given current a clouser can easily suspend and have a naturalistic posture. As an example when I surfcast with a spinning rod, we are swinging 1.5 oz bucktails and there are times I can dead stick them or heavier and never touch bottom.

Not for stripers, but I’m going to play around with some booby flies this winter in the salt.

I’ll start with an intermediate line and see how it goes. If I want a bit more depth, I’ll go to a type 3 line.

Flies like a Puget Sound Slider will work for this as well.

SF

IMG_5312.jpeg

Edited by Stonefish

Interesting fly stonefish. Here's what I'm protyping on. The suspender is foam-tipped wire about 3" long to nylon-coated wire loop on fly. You dial in the way the hook will sit in water by tying in the wire-loop combo separately after tail and cut thread then moving the loop-wire tie-in around until you get level hand then put it back in vice and tye it in good.

Looks neat in water just sitting there hovering in the current. Sort of fouling problems with material getting cauhgt on wire and the nylon wire getting deformed and throwing off the hang of the hook. Screenshot-2023-11-02-222246.jpg

Puppet the way I fished when testing it last night was in current. I cast short down current and then twitched a few feet of line out with rod tip at a time and lowered the rod slowly after twitching. Im imagineing on the fly end there'll be a short period of dead drift mixed with the fly slowing relative to current then doing a dart probably as I twitch the line out then dead drift and so forth. 

With the live bait fished fly lined on a really light small hook and a spinning reel with braid you can sometimes feel the bait start to get really active trying to get away when a striper is nearby and often get a hit after that although usually the line just starts peeling off and you flip bail. 

22 mins ago, TopStriperAngler said:

Interesting fly stonefish. Here's what I'm protyping on. The suspender is foam-tipped wire about 3" long to nylon-coated wire loop on fly. You dial in the way the hook will sit in water by tying in the wire-loop combo separately after tail and cut thread then moving the loop-wire tie-in around until you get level hand then put it back in vice and tye it in good.

Looks neat in water just sitting there hovering in the current. Sort of fouling problems with material getting cauhgt on wire and the nylon wire getting deformed and throwing off the hang of the hook. Screenshot-2023-11-02-222246.jpg

Puppet the way I fished when testing it last night was in current. I cast short down current and then twitched a few feet of line out with rod tip at a time and lowered the rod slowly after twitching. Im imagineing on the fly end there'll be a short period of dead drift mixed with the fly slowing relative to current then doing a dart probably as I twitch the line out then dead drift and so forth. 

With the live bait fished fly lined on a really light small hook and a spinning reel with braid you can sometimes feel the bait start to get really active trying to get away when a striper is nearby and often get a hit after that although usually the line just starts peeling off and you flip bail. 

I saw how you had this set up based on your post in the fly tying form.

It may not be popular, but to achieve something similar have you ever considered fishing an indicator in the salt with a baitfish pattern tied balance leech style? It does work and the indicator lets you easily adjust your depth and suspend the fly.

SF

44 mins ago, Stonefish said:

I saw how you had this set up based on your post in the fly tying form.

It may not be popular, but to achieve something similar have you ever considered fishing an indicator in the salt with a baitfish pattern tied balance leech style? It does work and the indicator lets you easily adjust your depth and suspend the fly.

SF

Good call, Stone. I have done indicator in salt not a lot but at times. With a thingamabob. I am not familiar with balance leech will look that up. Appreciate that idea as getting the fly balanced is right on money in what I'm messing at. I should also try just regular flies with the thingamabob in this situation I suppose. 

15 mins ago, TopStriperAngler said:

Good call, Stone. I have done indicator in salt not a lot but at times. With a thingamabob. I am not familiar with balance leech will look that up. Appreciate that idea as getting the fly balanced is right on money in what I'm messing at. I should also try just regular flies with the thingamabob in this situation I suppose. 

You can tie balanced leech type flies a couple ways. With slotted beads on a 60° jig hook or using a pin or nail with a bead or cone extended out the front on a 90° jig hook.

Have fun experimenting.

SF