Hook Removal From Human Flesh

Rate this topic

TFLT

Good morning, I was fishing with a guide in Montauk yesterday morning and he unfortunately caught a hook in the meat of his lower thumb while unhooking a fish. The hook was lodged deeply and he asked me to remove it using a technique with braided line. Before I performed the minor surgery in choppy and wet conditions I watched a video on YouTube by Kevin VanDam. I have to be honest I was hesitant to do it fearing I would cause more damage to his hand but he was comfortable with me doing it. Well, it worked, he said it was mostly pain free. Please familiarize yourself with the technique in case this happens to you and there is no access to medical care. 

Last week caught a stray hook dangling from a full lure crate while lifting it out of my truck bed: think 15 lb weight suspended from a hook stuck through the top of your casting finger, hanging there:  thread it ripped out taking some bloody white stuff out with it. First day of a week long trip casting with a bloody finger...salt stings cuts, if you were not aware.

Edited by petespeak

2 hours ago, EliasA said:

Yup, it makes taking hooks out of hands easier when you’re 100 yards out on a rock up to your neck in the surf

When I’m out on far rocks I’m taking it a step further and only using single hooks haha. So mostly soft plastics and bucktails for me, I’d say 90% of the time.  A hook in the hand or even just your wetsuit can turn very dangerous very fast.

• 4 weeks later...

fish-hook-accident-11.jpg

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

7 hours ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

OMG, what in the hell, did You do to yourself Pop lol?

Not me

LOL

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

My favorite hook-in-my-anatomy story:

My wife and I had been doing some fishig upstate, and somehow a plug had gotten loose in the back of her car.  Sometime after we returned, we bought a 40-pound bag of birdseed, and the plug had, unknown to us, gotten hung up in the bag.  As I dropped the bag of seed into the garbage pail that I use to store such things, one hook on the plug ended up getting pretty well stuck in my thumb.

I looked at it, and my first thought was to go the take-a-loop-of-line-and-yank-it-out approach described at the start of this thread.  Then I looked at the hook--it was in there pretty good--and thought "Wait a minute.  You have health insurance, and nothing important to do this afternoon, so why not take the easy way out and let a professional deal with this?"

So my wife drives me to the hospital, and I bring a book along, because I''m resigned to the long wait that usually accompanies non-critical visits.  We walk into the emergency room, the triage nurse takes a look at the plug dangling from my thumb, and calls the staff in the back, to inform them, in heavily-accented Engliish, that he had someone "with a fishing hook stuck in his t'um."

To my surprise, I was placed at the head of the ljine and ushered into a cubicle in the back, where staff was waiting (it was a slow afternoon, with various softball and soccer injuries accounting for most of the customers).  When the staff came out to meet me, they were surprised that I could speak.

It turned out that they thought that the triage nurse said that I had a hook in my tongue.  I said no, that's usually the fish's problem, not mine, and was quickly doctored and sent on my way home, with the hook removed bloodlessly and under anaesthetic, rather than ripped out of my hand through self-help.

Probably the only time that a heavy accent worked in my favor.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams