How bad is the corrosion on this Sequoia?

Slowwwride

2 hours ago, bronson said:

Have mechanic check out. I’m a Toyota guy and would not purchase a sequoia bc the fuel consumption is terrible at best. 

Oh ya I have heard. But for what I want to use it for it’s not really a concern for me. I am more worried about it being safe to drive on the road. I know this is the buggy forum but I don’t really plan on taking it off road. I just need it to cart people and stuff around on the weekend. I’m ok under the hood but when it comes to assessing how far gone the front end is I am lost. It all just looks like rust to me. My eyes tell me that strut pocket is shot, and that concerns me. And that is more or less irreparable correct?

Smoke 'em if you got 'em, we're going down

1 hour ago, Slowwwride said:

Oh ya I have heard. But for what I want to use it for it’s not really a concern for me. I am more worried about it being safe to drive on the road. I know this is the buggy forum but I don’t really plan on taking it off road. I just need it to cart people and stuff around on the weekend. I’m ok under the hood but when it comes to assessing how far gone the front end is I am lost. It all just looks like rust to me. My eyes tell me that strut pocket is shot, and that concerns me. And that is more or less irreparable correct?

1 hour ago, Slowwwride said:

have mechanic survey. I think most parts repairable - look on auto zone for replacement parts to be sure

8 hours ago, Slowwwride said:

Thank you for the replies. I have read that lower ball joints are a point of concern on this vehicle (first generation Sequoia). I drove it snd it seemed ok except for some clicking from the engine, maybe valves? 

Ball joints are expendable and serviceable like struts and tires. Unless the A arms rot around the Ball joints then don’t worry.

Any service history on that 4.7? Timing belt comes to mind. 

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

1 hour ago, afterhours said:

Any service history on that 4.7? Timing belt comes to mind. 

Nope. I asked and the dealer said he didn’t have anything. I ran the vin before I went to look at the truck and it looks like I would be the third owner assuming everything in the report is accurate. I would assume since it’s just around 200k that it needs to be done again, assuming it was done in the first place (you never know). It did have an audible click as if one of the lifters was making noise. That was one of the things I noticed. Other than that the truck ran great. I drove it for a while. There were no lights on but they could’ve cleared them before I came. I guess I could scan the truck and see if it’s ready for inspection.

3 hours ago, LowEnd said:

Ball joints are expendable and serviceable like struts and tires. Unless the A arms rot around the Ball joints then don’t worry.

There was a recall because the originals wore out prematurely, but I guess they would probably have been changed by now at 200+ thousand miles. If I pull the trigger on it I am going to have my mechanic go over everything. But I’m still debating what I want to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe related.. my rear gas tank strap rotted pretty bad. Lots of time on the beach, relatively thin steel. $40 and about an hour to replace but check it. Maybe the first to go. Torch frozen bolt to loosen it if its locked up.

I'll ignore your cheap aroma,

and your little-bo-peep diploma,

I'll just put you in a coma,

with some dirty love-

38 mins ago, phishallways said:

Maybe related.. my rear gas tank strap rotted pretty bad. Lots of time on the beach, relatively thin steel. $40 and about an hour to replace but check it. Maybe the first to go. Torch frozen bolt to loosen it if its locked up.

You have a first gen Sequoia? I did not pull the trigger on it. Been looking for one. The frame rot is a problem on these. Not trying to throw my money away. Even if it’s only for a few years. Had a 2002 Tacoma second hand that had a bad frame rot. 

1 min ago, Slowwwride said:

You have a first gen Sequoia? I did not pull the trigger on it. Been looking for one. The frame rot is a problem on these. Not trying to throw my money away. Even if it’s only for a few years. Had a 2002 Tacoma second hand that had a bad frame rot. 

No sequoia, but just a heads up for something to watch with any rusty under carriage. If you cant replace it yourself it adds to the sticker.

I'll ignore your cheap aroma,

and your little-bo-peep diploma,

I'll just put you in a coma,

with some dirty love-