Thoughts on poppers, brand, sinking/floating, color, weight you prefer?

Rate this topic

zudo

I wanted to know what people think of using poppers for stripers and opinions of type (sinking/slow sink/fast skink), color, etc. fishing in the surf primarily daytime..

thanks in advance...

Edited by zudo

2 hours ago, zudo said:

I wanted to know what people think of using poppers for stripers and opinions of type (sinking/slow sink/fast skink), color, etc. fishing in the surf primarily daytime..

thanks in advance...

super strike 5 1/4in, 2 1/4oz is the staple out here i feel like. does not get moved in heavy current at all. bone, white, yellow the best colors supposesdly but i dont think color is too important with the poppers. it is a sinking model technically but it is very easy to keep up on top, can move it super slow and it stays on the surface, can cast it 120 yards with the right rod. would definetly recommend it if you are just gonna pick up a couple topwater lures. will see a lot of big fish come on it as well. 

SS, Blue, 4.5 inches, 1.5 oz, sinking is most of the time very first plug that hits the water when I am on the open beach.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

• 4 weeks later...

Depending on the time of year and right now in late November where I live is the best time. I prefer slow sinking because the stripers are just under the surface chasing the shad to the top and there is a lot of action! Not only the stripers but the bait fisherpeople catch some nice catfish! The last two weeks in November is when I prefer to be fishing. 

• 2 weeks later...

If I could only have one for the open beaches it would be a superstrike 2 3/8 ounce sinking. Casts like a missle, great for rough or calm water. If you watch closely it zigs and zags on the pop. Color doesn't matter.  But if you have a couple extra bucks grab a fixter. He can make one custom in a weight that will work perfectly for the rod you will be using. 

What is the best day of the week to fish Montauk? Yesterday!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Poppers work great depending on water conditions. I like floating, the visual is everything to me fishing in the surface. Mostly see people using super strikes “little necks” but personally I prefer pencil poppers. Little necks are much easier to use, just reel. Helps to throw at an angle. Don’t want to retrieve them straight in. Pencil poppers require practice and a specific type of rod. Gibbs are usually easy to come by. I prefer green. One down side of pencils is they will tire you out, so don’t burn yourself out. Pick and choose good breaks to cast between.  There is no bite like a surface bite.