Amesbury Skiff “restoration”

Rate this topic

Bmawds

I second Lowell Boat House in Amesbury, MA, years ago they built a Salsbury Point Rowing Skiff that I guided out of for years, what a boat! I could row in an outgoing tide at the mouth of the Merrimack... More than once the Coast Guard would be yelling at me (using my first name) over the blowhorn telling me to get out of there as I was surfing 8' standing waves for fun! I miss that boat, but my hands gave out from the 4-6 miles a day I was rowing with clients. 

As to your "new" boat, I am sorry to say, I think the planter idea is the best way to go... 

On 10/24/2023 at 10:37 AM, Bmawds said:

Not really sure where to post this but figured here is a good place to start. Going to make a winter project out of this. I acquired what I believe to be a 1956 Amesbury wood dory for free with the purchase of a trailer. She’s certainly seen better days. At one point a previous owner put a couple layers of glass over the hull to sneak a few more years out of her. Yesterday I removed all the glass (cracked and missing in some spots) and found pretty significant rot in the floor and transom. The strakes for the most part are solid but do have some rot. I by no means am looking to do a complete restoration, I think she’s too far gone for that and doing so would require replacing every board and building a brand new boat.

What I’m looking to do is build a new floor and transom with marine ply wood, resin/glass to prevent any water intrusion. I then plan to use the existing strakes and affix them to the new floor/transom. Remove any rot on the strakes and replace with filler or ply wood as needed. Glass the entire hull on the outside. I know glassing over the wood is going to add some weight, but I think it’ll be a wash after replacing the floor and transom with ply wood. Fix any rot on the interior of the strakes and then paint. Again I’m not looking to do a complete restoration and I know these repairs won’t last given the state of the hull, but I think by doing this I can get a couple more seasons out of this old boat with light use. If anyone has any input it’s appreciated, I’ll update this post as I go

IMG_5311.jpeg.95a35a60fe2931173d4ff2ca8d3f7c4b.jpegIMG_5315.jpeg.7619e494c4fcb38d853ce9d96de782fc.jpeg

I like this build. Unique. Building the floor first out of a lighter plywood. Mate the transom, stringers next. You prefab tge gunwhales to any length you wish.  Glass it after or build it out of aluminum.

As is I would use it as a build model template. Fantastic garden piece after with a good story. 

• 1 month later...

It's not necessary to glass the whole boat.  On a hull like this, the place for leaks is where the bottom and the garboard planks (and transom) meet.  Replace the bottom with marine ply, repair any rot in the transom (try CPES) get an 8" wide roll of fiberglass and run it lengthwise along the chine. I've repaired two L Francis Herreshoff prams this way and they're both going strong years later.

5 hours ago, SteveKaz said:

It's not necessary to glass the whole boat.  On a hull like this, the place for leaks is where the bottom and the garboard planks (and transom) meet.  Replace the bottom with marine ply, repair any rot in the transom (try CPES) get an 8" wide roll of fiberglass and run it lengthwise along the chine. I've repaired two L Francis Herreshoff prams this way and they're both going strong years later.

CPES is great stuff. Pricey though...

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd

17 hours ago, mkus said:

I’m buying a stonington skiff 16ft from a friend one of the nicest dry riding skiffs I’ve been on that’s a lot f work there good luck 

Do you have pics? Assume this is flat bottomed???

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2023 at 7:30 PM, Stripernut1 said:

I second Lowell Boat House in Amesbury, MA, years ago they built a Salsbury Point Rowing Skiff that I guided out of for years, what a boat! I could row in an outgoing tide at the mouth of the Merrimack... More than once the Coast Guard would be yelling at me (using my first name) over the blowhorn telling me to get out of there as I was surfing 8' standing waves for fun! I miss that boat, but my hands gave out from the 4-6 miles a day I was rowing with clients. 

As to your "new" boat, I am sorry to say, I think the planter idea is the best way to go... 

You were rowing clients in the mouth of the Merrimack? Why no outboard?

I never did take any of my clients in the mouth of the river, I did take some friends that I knew would survive if I dumped them... As for no motor, I liked the simpler regulations of doing it all with Oars, and most of my clients could not cast far and the Dory was so quiet I could get them on fish that even a trolling motor wouldn't... Over the years I brought down an oar on the back of many big stripers as we were rowing along.