Amesbury Skiff “restoration”

Rate this topic

Bmawds

Not really sure where to post this but figured here is a good place to start. Going to make a winter project out of this. I acquired what I believe to be a 1956 Amesbury wood dory for free with the purchase of a trailer. She’s certainly seen better days. At one point a previous owner put a couple layers of glass over the hull to sneak a few more years out of her. Yesterday I removed all the glass (cracked and missing in some spots) and found pretty significant rot in the floor and transom. The strakes for the most part are solid but do have some rot. I by no means am looking to do a complete restoration, I think she’s too far gone for that and doing so would require replacing every board and building a brand new boat.

What I’m looking to do is build a new floor and transom with marine ply wood, resin/glass to prevent any water intrusion. I then plan to use the existing strakes and affix them to the new floor/transom. Remove any rot on the strakes and replace with filler or ply wood as needed. Glass the entire hull on the outside. I know glassing over the wood is going to add some weight, but I think it’ll be a wash after replacing the floor and transom with ply wood. Fix any rot on the interior of the strakes and then paint. Again I’m not looking to do a complete restoration and I know these repairs won’t last given the state of the hull, but I think by doing this I can get a couple more seasons out of this old boat with light use. If anyone has any input it’s appreciated, I’ll update this post as I go

IMG_5311.jpeg.95a35a60fe2931173d4ff2ca8d3f7c4b.jpegIMG_5315.jpeg.7619e494c4fcb38d853ce9d96de782fc.jpeg

Edited by Bmawds

I’m going to be brutally honest here………from whatI can see in the pictures……it’s not worth it. 

I would paint it and turn it into a planter………..

Edited by aae0130

“Shall not be infringed” was the “talk to the hand” of that period. (Me 2022)

Before you sink any money in to it make sure everything is sound.  My guess is there is a lot more punky wood there than just the hole.  

You don’t want to sink 100+ hours into it and have your foot go through the bottom when you get it wet the first time.

8 hours ago, aae0130 said:

I’m going to be brutally honest here………from whatI can see in the pictures……it’s not worth it. 

I would paint it and turn it into a planter………..

May end up happening, we’ll see how a new floor and transom goes. At least that’ll hold it together to make it to the garden lol

7 hours ago, DMacLeod said:

Before you sink any money in to it make sure everything is sound.  My guess is there is a lot more punky wood there than just the hole.  

You don’t want to sink 100+ hours into it and have your foot go through the bottom when you get it wet the first time.

Gonna do a new floor and transom and go from there. Honestly may end up using the strakes as a template

1 min ago, Bmawds said:

Gonna do a new floor and transom and go from there. Honestly may end up using the strakes as a template

Now building a whole new boat using this one for templates would be a very interesting project.   Then you would have something special you built that  would last you many, many years.

If you look at all the screw holes on the bottom you can see where water has been working its destruction for a long time.   

Good luck in which ever way you decide to go.    Post pics as you go.