Opinions on the Century Surf Machine Elite

Rate this topic

hhager23

Well known company with a long standing reputation for manufacturing well engineered world class rod blanks. Have zero experience with any SME offerings, but can honestly say after being a Lami GSB supporter for years the Century Sling Shot I picked up used to road test was so impressive I'm anxious to explore their other offerings. PM AF Mke and get down to Jersey to test cast all their lineup...worth the trip IMO.

I have the 1 to 6 elite 

Very powerful rod.

I find the rod tip heavy,  I use a vs 200 and a 250 with mine,

Casts very well, I put a ultegra  on and with a pencle it goes out of sight. 

The rod fight fish very well and I can lock down with 40 lb braid and rip 20 lb fish in when seals are after them.

Plug Ho!

bassmaster_skunk.gif

I have the 12'  SME rated up to 5 oz.  I can throw anything from 3/4 oz bucktails to 5 oz pikies.   For a 12' rod it is quite light & has the perfect "flex" so to speak that matches my casting style.   I have it paired with an old Saltiga surf & occasionally a Basia 45.  A fishing friend has the SME rated up to 4 oz & also loves his.  They are expensive as hell, but i love to fish & love using the best equipment I can find.   If Bassmaster can't destroy his they must be good... Mike

Very easy loading  rods that cast great distances……throw their rated range well……..they are moderate fast and don’t beat you up……..expensive yes but quality usually is.

By the way…..af mike runs demo’s so you can try before you buy…….not many other makers do that

I own 2 sme rods . I first bought the 12ft  3/4-4oz I absolutely fell in love with this blank I can throw 4oz pikies all way down to loaded rebel jumping minnows . I then got a 12ft 1-6oz blank and had that built I love them both just the same. I am eagerly awaiting the 10ft version they need to hurry up and release that thing cause I need it in my quiver . All that just to say it’s worth every penny and then some don’t sleep on these rods 

(*member formerly known as 'Califulltiltfishing')

34 mins ago, AFMike said:

Where are you located?

Atlanta. Otherwise I'd stop by and cast a few. :howdy:

My main question at this point is the difference in the feel of the SME12 and the SME12M. 

"A land without memories is a people without liberty" - Robert E. Lee

13 mins ago, hhager23 said:

Atlanta. Otherwise I'd stop by and cast a few. :howdy:

My main question at this point is the difference in the feel of the SME12 and the SME12M. 

Yes, Atlanta would be a bit of a drive to test cast...lol

The SME12 3/4-5OZ is a touch more moderate than the SME12M, it still falls within the mod/fast action but just a little more moderate than the 1-6oz.

Both throw their entire range well. 

5 mins ago, AFMike said:

Yes, Atlanta would be a bit of a drive to test cast...lol

The SME12 3/4-5OZ is a touch more moderate than the SME12M, it still falls within the mod/fast action but just a little more moderate than the 1-6oz.

Both throw their entire range well. 

Do they both weigh the same?

"A land without memories is a people without liberty" - Robert E. Lee

I came very close to buying the standard surf machine but decided against it because of the lack of info/pictures/videos of it. Recently i felt the 1-6 11' surf machine they had at J and H and I was very disappointed, by far the single most tip heavy surf rod I've felt and it was built with a full set of titanium guides (1/2 the weight of stainless). Id say don't make your purchase until you feel one.

Edited by The LongIsland angler
typo