Striper YOY sucked

Rate this topic

Steve Coleman

The Md. and Va. YOY for stripers was abysmal.  Md index was 1.  Long term average 11.  Va. was 4, long term average 7.

These numbers need to recover before they loosen the limits.

Expect more and tighter restrictions from our coastal 28-31 one fish limit.  Sarcastic lol.

Hope they cut back on the bay harvest as it's currently 19-31 inches.  

But cutting the harvest is not the solution to this problem.    The fish have nowhere clean to grow, and not much to eat.

The bay is terribly polluted, but we don't hear much about that.  Ask any boater what color the water is, and how turbid it is.  Marine grasses threatened, and oysters not viable in many areas.  Almost every time I swim in the bay I get an ear infection.  

Omega protein is still favored by the Governors and allowed to remove 112 Million lbs of LYs yearly.  No progress is made in efforts to curtail their wanton pillaging.

Pollution and politics suck.

• 2 weeks later...

Its going to take a complete shut down of striper fishing if theyre going to have the slightest  chance to recover. 40+ years ago when I started surf fishing I never saw a striper in the surf...they were like some mythical fish the old guys would talk about. Seemed like they were on the verge of extinction. Thats why there was a complete moratorium in the 80's on catching and keeping them. But by the late nineties they started a comeback...until the early 2000's when they seemed fully on the road to recovery...to the extent I'd see big ones in the surf both at the barrier islands from DelMarVa to the Outer Banks in NC. Successive size/weight records were set on Maryland's beaches in the early 2000's for several years. But I knew theyd be in trouble again soon when I saw the pics of striped bass stacked like cordwood on the planks at places like Oregon Inlet from the charter boats. And here we are once again...looking at a crashing fish population. 

On 10/19/2023 at 2:30 PM, Steve Coleman said:

The Md. and Va. YOY for stripers was abysmal.  Md index was 1.  Long term average 11.  Va. was 4, long term average 7.

These numbers need to recover before they loosen the limits.

Expect more and tighter restrictions from our coastal 28-31 one fish limit.  Sarcastic lol.

Hope they cut back on the bay harvest as it's currently 19-31 inches.  

But cutting the harvest is not the solution to this problem.    The fish have nowhere clean to grow, and not much to eat.

The bay is terribly polluted, but we don't hear much about that.  Ask any boater what color the water is, and how turbid it is.  Marine grasses threatened, and oysters not viable in many areas.  Almost every time I swim in the bay I get an ear infection.  

Omega protein is still favored by the Governors and allowed to remove 112 Million lbs of LYs yearly.  No progress is made in efforts to curtail their wanton pillaging.

Pollution and politics suck.

i would be willing to go out on a limb and say nowadays, the bay is much cleaner than it was when the fish made their comeback in the 90's.

it isn't about pollution, or omega netting menhaden, which obviously is bad and i can agree 100% to that...  it is about a certain type of plankton that blossoms in cool water temps right around when the eggs should be hatching, which is the forage of newly hatched striped bass larvae.  what is happening, so i have heard, is that plankton has been hatching or blossoming before the fish have been spawning due to warmer water temps earlier in the year prior to the spawn.  basically the timing has been off.

interestingly enough, years where that plankton blossoms early, helps the menhaden population.  i myself have seen more and more menhaden each year - i go snakehead fishing in the summer and i used to never see any bunker at all.  past 3 years have been steadily increasing in schools that i see, but this year was wild.  places i would snakehead fish were loaded from the smallest headwater part of the creek all the way to the mouth and beyond.  just endless schools of peanut bunker.  so, mother nature may be compensating.

not to mention way, way more poeple fishing nowadays, more poaching, bad fish handling.  

what we need is cold winters and snowfall during the spring.

On 11/8/2023 at 10:37 AM, linesiderdemdnj said:

i would be willing to go out on a limb and say nowadays, the bay is much cleaner than it was when the fish made their comeback in the 90's.

it isn't about pollution, or omega netting menhaden, which obviously is bad and i can agree 100% to that...  it is about a certain type of plankton that blossoms in cool water temps right around when the eggs should be hatching, which is the forage of newly hatched striped bass larvae.  what is happening, so i have heard, is that plankton has been hatching or blossoming before the fish have been spawning due to warmer water temps earlier in the year prior to the spawn.  basically the timing has been off.

interestingly enough, years where that plankton blossoms early, helps the menhaden population.  i myself have seen more and more menhaden each year - i go snakehead fishing in the summer and i used to never see any bunker at all.  past 3 years have been steadily increasing in schools that i see, but this year was wild.  places i would snakehead fish were loaded from the smallest headwater part of the creek all the way to the mouth and beyond.  just endless schools of peanut bunker.  so, mother nature may be compensating.

not to mention way, way more poeple fishing nowadays, more poaching, bad fish handling.  

what we need is cold winters and snowfall during the spring.

You hit it correctly. Even if you're a non religious person, if you like fishing, you better start praying for late winter snow and wet springs. Striped bass reproduction is a VERY complicated affair that requires 100% of the pieces to fall into place for there to be a decent class of young fish. Even 1 piece out of place or mis timed results in a poor class of fish.

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."
Jacques Cousteau

• 3 weeks later...

Maryland Department of Natural Resources Presents Emergency Regulations to Increase Protections for Maryland’s Striped Bass Spawning Population 

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources is submitting striped bass emergency regulations this week in an effort to bolster the species’ spawning population. These Maryland-specific actions will complement additional actions that will be implemented coastwide in 2024 by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission

“Maryland waters serve as the spawning grounds for a majority of the striped bass that migrate up and down the East Coast, and we take our leadership role in managing the overall population seriously,” said Maryland Department of Natural Resources Secretary Josh Kurtz. “That’s why we’re putting forth new regulations to protect spawning striped bass. These management actions will complement additional fishing cuts expected to be taken by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission next year in response to the population decline in recent years.”

The emergency regulations propose to extend two periods already closed to targeting striped bass in the Chesapeake Bay and on the Susquehanna Flats next year. These extensions would result in the elimination of the Maryland Striped Bass Trophy season (May 1 to May 15) and the catch-and-keep fishery on the Flats (May 16 to May 31) in 2024

4 hours ago, cdsleeve said:

Maryland Department of Natural Resources Presents Emergency Regulations to Increase Protections for Maryland’s Striped Bass Spawning Population 

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources is submitting striped bass emergency regulations this week in an effort to bolster the species’ spawning population. These Maryland-specific actions will complement additional actions that will be implemented coastwide in 2024 by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission

“Maryland waters serve as the spawning grounds for a majority of the striped bass that migrate up and down the East Coast, and we take our leadership role in managing the overall population seriously,” said Maryland Department of Natural Resources Secretary Josh Kurtz. “That’s why we’re putting forth new regulations to protect spawning striped bass. These management actions will complement additional fishing cuts expected to be taken by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission next year in response to the population decline in recent years.”

The emergency regulations propose to extend two periods already closed to targeting striped bass in the Chesapeake Bay and on the Susquehanna Flats next year. These extensions would result in the elimination of the Maryland Striped Bass Trophy season (May 1 to May 15) and the catch-and-keep fishery on the Flats (May 16 to May 31) in 2024

Should have been done years ago

I think we're close to a moratorium on our stripers.  I remember when we had that back in the 70's. Big difference from back then and now though...  Back then we had weakfish we could catch...

An 8 oz sinker and a bunker head will only fly so far...

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2023 at 7:39 PM, GoBow said:

I think we're close to a moratorium on our stripers.  I remember when we had that back in the 70's. Big difference from back then and now though...  Back then we had weakfish we could catch...

Even that stock has been decimated.

Up till about 2 years ago there were tons of trout pods out front.  Dunno where they went or what happened to them but the last 2 years we haven't seen them.  They use to hangout right out front.  When you'd get into September the sharks and reds would be chasing them.

Dunno if omega got them again or not.

• 1 month later...