Maryland 2023 juvenile abundance index released

Rate this topic

CWitek

One of the worst ever recorded.

It is really starting to look like history may repeat itself.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

What has me concerned is that, with the exception of the Hudson River, the other spawning areas are also doing poorly.

The ASMFC has set a "trigger level" of the 25th percentile--the worst 25 percent of all juvenile abundance indices--and will declare spawning failure in any area if recruitment is below trigger for three consecutive years.

Maryland has been below trigger for the past five years.

The Delaware River was below trigger in 2021 and 2022.  We don't know about 2020 becauce COVID halted the survey.  2023 numbers aren';t out yet.

'

The Virginia portion of the Chesapeake Bay was above trigger in 2020, but below in 2021 and 2022.  2023 figures have not been released.

The Hudson is doing better, with no below-trigger numbers in the past three years (2023 isn';t out yet), although the very good 2020 figures may be exaggerated due to COVId-related issues with the survey.

Not much to provide comfort that things might improve soon.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

18 mins ago, CWitek said:

The ASMFC has set a "trigger level" of the 25th percentile--the worst 25 percent of all juvenile abundance indices--and will declare spawning failure in any area if recruitment is below trigger for three consecutive years.

What happens if it gets "triggered"? What changes?

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

22 mins ago, TimS said:

What happens if it gets "triggered"? What changes?

The stock assessment employs a low recruitment assumption in its calculations, making them more conservative.

There will also be a new, lower "interim" fishing mortality target to correspond to the lower recruitment assumption.

Because of the Maryland recruitment failure, we're fishing under an interim fishing mortality rate now.  I'm not 100% certain, but I think they dropped the target from 0.21 to 0.17 or 9.18.

10 hours ago, CWitek said:

2023 figures have not been released.

Yes Charles, they're released and VA 2023 is below trigger levels...

image.png.f4989a686d9f406efee6ab9c5271cc7e.png

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

2 mins ago, kurazy kracka said:

is it POSSIBLE, however extremely unlikely, that spawning habits and locations in the chessie have changed and the locations which they take their samples are no longer prime grounds?

Could be, but at the same time there should have been some very small 2019 class fish in the migratory stock this year…and nobody was talking about encountering lots of rats.