Tip for Headboat mate

Rate this topic

JAL

15 hours ago, Joe said:

thinking about it for Tog.

You will not be disappointed. 

At least, I never am on that boat.

But, do not be the guy that shows up on time, never mind late. The captain will leave 30 minutes early if all the clients are aboard. And will stay out late in an effort to fill a limit.

The other captains in town, you can set your watch by their comings and goings, never leave early, or arrive at the dock late.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

7 hours ago, dena said:

You will not be disappointed. 

At least, I never am on that boat.

But, do not be the guy that shows up on time, never mind late. The captain will leave 30 minutes early if all the clients are aboard. And will stay out late in an effort to fill a limit.

The other captains in town, you can set your watch by their comings and goings, never leave early, or arrive at the dock late.

I've heard good things about him. I'm on his mailing list. That said, it's hard to justify the cost for Sea Bass. I've been on the Angler & the Ocean Princess. OP came in late both times I was on the boat.

This area is new to me. I just finished my first year here...

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd

On 11/27/2023 at 3:07 PM, Joe said:

I've heard good things about him. I'm on his mailing list. That said, it's hard to justify the cost for Sea Bass. I've been on the Angler & the Ocean Princess. OP came in late both times I was on the boat.

This area is new to me. I just finished my first year here...

He is a bit more expensive, but with only 18 spots, I guess he has to be. I like it because you pick your open spot when you reserve, and there is no having folks mug you on the rail.

I am signed up for the Friday trip, spot 13. Seats 4 to 13 were open today when I talked to Anna, the reservation taker.

I will say the mates on the Angler get my fish cleaning award. Not a bone in any filets they cleaned.

IIRC, you said you were in Salisbury. That is a good spot because you are between the Bay, and Ocean. My sister lives down 349, and poking around those marshes is fun and productive in a boat or kayak.

-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

13 hours ago, dena said:

He is a bit more expensive, but with only 18 spots, I guess he has to be. I like it because you pick your open spot when you reserve, and there is no having folks mug you on the rail.

I am signed up for the Friday trip, spot 13. Seats 4 to 13 were open today when I talked to Anna, the reservation taker.

I will say the mates on the Angler get my fish cleaning award. Not a bone in any filets they cleaned.

IIRC, you said you were in Salisbury. That is a good spot because you are between the Bay, and Ocean. My sister lives down 349, and poking around those marshes is fun and productive in a boat or kayak.

I work in Salisbury. I live in off of 346.  One mate on the Angler is great.. One other "kid" is a butcher. Not sure when my next trip is. My son doesn't take much with him; so I've got  >50 in my freezer.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd

On 11/29/2023 at 7:24 AM, Joe said:

I work in Salisbury. I live in off of 346.  One mate on the Angler is great.. One other "kid" is a butcher. Not sure when my next trip is. My son doesn't take much with him; so I've got  >50 in my freezer.

It was a slow pick Friday. I didn't get my first keeper until after 10am. Then nicked a couple by noon. We kept getting run off of spots by Spiney Dogfish, and had to move. Then I hit a hot streak, and landed a bunch of keepers in a row. Needed one more for a limit, and pulled in the fish pool winner on the last drop.

See picture in the reports thread.

Only 2 limits, mine and another guy that was on the port stern corner. I was starboard side, just aft of amidship.

-Thomas Jefferson
-Soren Kierkegaard

I usually tip 20% of the trip cost.

but I got anquestion.

$600 trip is like $120 bucks generally there’s a ton of mates on an offshore trip. Iassumed they pools tips and split it amongst each other but never thought to ask.

should I be handing that $120 to the head mate or dividing amongst all the mates. I alwasy ask who the head mate is and gove it to him

21 hours ago, dena said:

It was a slow pick Friday. I didn't get my first keeper until after 10am. Then nicked a couple by noon. We kept getting run off of spots by Spiney Dogfish, and had to move. Then I hit a hot streak, and landed a bunch of keepers in a row. Needed one more for a limit, and pulled in the fish pool winner on the last drop.

See picture in the reports thread.

Only 2 limits, mine and another guy that was on the port stern corner. I was starboard side, just aft of amidship.

Nice!

18 hours ago, Callmefish said:

I usually tip 20% of the trip cost.

but I got anquestion.

$600 trip is like $120 bucks generally there’s a ton of mates on an offshore trip. Iassumed they pools tips and split it amongst each other but never thought to ask.

should I be handing that $120 to the head mate or dividing amongst all the mates. I alwasy ask who the head mate is and gove it to him

I assume that as well. But there are stories of less than ethical mates...

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2023 at 6:44 AM, dena said:

I was on that boat Monday...40 dollar tip, plus a 20 for cleaning my 15 fish. Mates charge a buck each to clean sea bass, but counting change on a boat is a pain, 20 it is.

Plus those mates are good guys, and are willing to share their knowledge. 

We caught a boat limit, I limited out around noon, it was a good day.

The other head boats in town are cheaper, but you can set your watch by them leaving the dock, and getting back on time.

This other captain will leave half hour early if all clients are aboard, and come home late if the fish do not cooperate.  With assigned spots along the rail, there is no rail mugging too.

which boat? Not sure if allowed to ask that. 

On 1/27/2024 at 9:51 PM, eastcoastbestcoast said:

which boat? Not sure if allowed to ask that. 

Morning Star, out of OCMD.

-Thomas Jefferson
-Soren Kierkegaard