Jump to content

Resin plug discussion

Rate this topic


TACKLE JUNKIE

Recommended Posts

5 mins ago, Jig Man said:

Gearing up for Rhody. All resin. Several sizes of gliders, spooks, and stuff for moving water. Spooks have a loud rattle in them too. 

 

 

jm-gliders.jpg

jm-rattlespook.jpg

jm-resin.jpg

 

 

Why have you switched over to making resin lures? Is it faster? More consistent? Less hassle?  Just like trying new things?

Edited by TACKLE JUNKIE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 mins ago, TACKLE JUNKIE said:

 

 

Why have you switched over to making resin lures? Is it faster? More consistent? Less hassle?  Just like trying new things?

Still make plenty of wood plugs too (see the whats on your lathe thread). Really depends on what I am building. Different materials work better for different plugs. Same as different woods work better for some types of plugs than others. For something like a darter, I can be much more consistent than with wood. In this case, tested a batch of darters, selected the best one of the batch, and used that as the master. As long as I measure out the resin/balloon mix correctly, I get a darter that swims like the rest that come out of the mold. On something like a glider I can do some shapes are are much harder to do consistently in wood. They don't have to be symmetrical. Rattle spooks, again, easier to add the rattle than on a wood one. Those Ice cream ones you show above would be real easy to mold and do in resin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Jig Man said:

Still make plenty of wood plugs too (see the whats on your lathe thread). Really depends on what I am building. Different materials work better for different plugs. Same as different woods work better for some types of plugs than others. For something like a darter, I can be much more consistent than with wood. In this case, tested a batch of darters, selected the best one of the batch, and used that as the master. As long as I measure out the resin/balloon mix correctly, I get a darter that swims like the rest that come out of the mold. On something like a glider I can do some shapes are are much harder to do consistently in wood. They don't have to be symmetrical. Rattle spooks, again, easier to add the rattle than on a wood one. Those Ice cream ones you show above would be real easy to mold and do in resin. 

 

Actually the Line Stretcher Surface Tension lures would be the perfect lures to make out of resin since they're more labor intensive and the weight isn't placed in the end it gets placed even with the eyes and that would be easier with a mold. How durable is the resin? Is it as tough as ABS plastic?

 

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/7000346.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TACKLE JUNKIE said:

 

Actually the Line Stretcher Surface Tension lures would be the perfect lures to make out of resin since they're more labor intensive and the weight isn't placed in the end it gets placed even with the eyes and that would be easier with a mold. How durable is the resin? Is it as tough as ABS plastic?

 

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/7000346.pdf

Have not compared it to ABS. Durability will depend some on the amount of microballoons that you add. More balloons = less durable (though more buoyant). The most durable would be just straight up resin (will sink). Even with balloons, I haven't had any issues with resin and bluefish. Alumilite stuff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jig Man said:

Have not compared it to ABS. Durability will depend some on the amount of microballoons that you add. More balloons = less durable (though more buoyant). The most durable would be just straight up resin (will sink). Even with balloons, I haven't had any issues with resin and bluefish. Alumilite stuff. 

Could you give a quick explanation of what micro balloons are for? 

Thanks

troll #122  <*)))<

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Could you give a quick explanation of what micro balloons are for? 

Thanks

Mostly to add buoyancy to the plug and make the resin less dense. Think of using pine vs. Maple for a plug. Maple is more dense. Resin without balloons will sink. Add balloons and you can get it to float. The balloons also cause the resin to expand some in the mold so you use less resin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 mins ago, Jig Man said:

Mostly to add buoyancy to the plug and make the resin less dense. Think of using pine vs. Maple for a plug. Maple is more dense. Resin without balloons will sink. Add balloons and you can get it to float. The balloons also cause the resin to expand some in the mold so you use less resin. 

Ah I see, thanks....

troll #122  <*)))<

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2023 at 10:24 AM, Jig Man said:

Mostly to add buoyancy to the plug and make the resin less dense. Think of using pine vs. Maple for a plug. Maple is more dense. Resin without balloons will sink. Add balloons and you can get it to float. The balloons also cause the resin to expand some in the mold so you use less resin. 

 

Jigman with the Amazing Casting Resin white what is the lightest wood density do you think you can practicably duplicate--considering pourability and durability concerns. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2023 at 1:45 PM, TopStriperAngler said:

 

Jigman with the Amazing Casting Resin white what is the lightest wood density do you think you can practicably duplicate--considering pourability and durability concerns. 

Not 100% sure. Guess would be somewhere between bitch and ayc. If you need lighter, can also do slush mold and have foam inside. I have also used tubes with the ends closed off for rattle chambers and weight transfer. Leave out the weight and the tube could create an air pocket to make the plug lighter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 1VW said:

Hey @Jig Man would it be smart to move the resin discussion stuff to it's own thread? I think I can chime in with some things that folks might find useful but feel bad about it polluting the plug showtime thread... it also make might the discussion easier to find in future searches? 

Good idea! We can use this thread for resin discussion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/6/2023 at 3:52 PM, 1VW said:

Hey @Jig Man would it be smart to move the resin discussion stuff to it's own thread? I think I can chime in with some things that folks might find useful but feel bad about it polluting the plug showtime thread... it also make might the discussion easier to find in future searches? 

So I’ve been weighing my portions for these. What method are you doing?

weight or volume?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good idea making own thread on this deal. I tried resin b/c I wanted to make an exact duplica of a glider. Unable to make exact duplica of the glider even though I duped shape real nice. 

 

Silicone for the molds is expensive. I use cheapest thing I can find which is 100% silicone caulk from hardware store. Still expensive costing 15-20 for single lure mold. And it takes some work to do all the mold making although if you did it often enough probably would be not big deal. Still doesn't take more time than to make anything else. 

 

You can fish these lures without any sealing be it before or after paint. The alumifoam will hold paint except where hooks get to it. I haven't tried it but I wonder if I could rusto paint an amazing casting resin and then give that a spritz a few hour later of semi-gloss clear and go fishing right away. What I had happen on rusto only is dirt sticks to the paint real bad. Not a problem for green plugs white plugs get a dirty white sneaker look. 

 

I just don't lose lures often enough to make resin worth it. I like to make new shapes and try new things. On the other hand, you can still shape resin so you can make a spook and then cut a darter dive plane on it. That's interesting. 

 

If I made a lot of two or three piece swimbaits and lost them a lot I would want to resin those. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, wvbud22 said:

So I’ve been weighing my portions for these. What method are you doing?

weight or volume?

weight would be more precesion,you have to seal them ,primer,waterbase paint,createx no chemical's,no smell if you screw up just wipe with water,some guys put one paint color and seal.next color seall,that way it not bleed to second color,,top coat from 1 to 5 coats,depend how durable you like them.guy did 5 coats for pike,no demige from teeth.this way they are bulet proof.

if you like bright lure,make white primer,the white will stick out.

if you do not seal then the reisin is sticky and the paint  doe's not hold good.

Edited by snag777
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I weigh out the resin pouring into a single mixing cup. I use a gram scale. The Amazin' Castin' Resin white comes with bottles without nozzles, just caps. There's a seal glued to the tops. I prick these with a toothpick. That permits slow enough flow rate for pouring accurately and using a little pressure on bottle  to increase flow rate if needed initially. If the seals come off an option is saran wrap and rubber band using the toothpick method. 

 

You need to be quick about the mixing is why it's nice to have a variable pour rate. 

 

But you need to mix thoroughly which is why u don't want to be fussing with getting the mix right. 

 

You only have 30 seconds or something before you need to be pouring. Maybe its 45 on the amazin castin. 

 

Pouring both resins into a  single mixing cup is what I do. Craft stick(popsicle stick) with the mixing cut at angle to get into corner of the mixing cup. 

 

I wear goggles and a longsleeve work shirt to avoid the worst case scenario of a splash during mixing. Sometimes when you're in a rush the popsicle stick catches a little on an edge and you can get a splash. have splashed myself once. 

 

Alumifoam is pretty great for spooks. It's like a red cedar. I got what I believe is a bad batch(old) but I'm not sure as I ain't bought a second batch yet. Also good for pencils, stickbaits. That's what I tried so far. Ain't tried gliders with it. 

 

Amazin castin' resin u use microballoons with it or not. Have made some good stickbait-to-needle style lead-loaded lures without microballoons. Lots of weight on the wire harness. Good for covering ground on windy days or when trying to get to those distant fish. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...