Two Hand Spey Casting

Rate this topic

reel em in

So you are out in knee deep water, and stripping the line back on top of the water. 

Do you have a picture of the wool at the end of the line? I made some thing once. I’ll get a picture up tomorrow. 

Sometimes the loop breaks on the fly and not knowingly I cast again and hear a snap on the line on a forward cast and the head and leader really take off. 
I say to myself, I should cast without a fly. Lol

Tom

It is just a piece of wool (or in the above case egg yarn) and I tie the tippet (uni knot) over the middle and then just pull it so that it sits nicely (or just let the casting do it). I put Payette Floatant paste on it to make it float.

On that chart of records under the intermediate category is a Dustin Revel. I recognized on that name due to there being a fly fishing outfitter website called Lost Coast Outfitters and they sell a few of the beach switch rods. George Revel is owner of shop. Here's a an interesting video showing what they do in the surf with spey rods. OH casting. 

12 mins ago, TopStriperAngler said:

On that chart of records under the intermediate category is a Dustin Revel. I recognized on that name due to there being a fly fishing outfitter website called Lost Coast Outfitters and they sell a few of the beach switch rods. George Revel is owner of shop. Here's a an interesting video showing what they do in the surf with spey rods. OH casting. 

I keep saying to myself I’m going to use my Exocett surf rods but I never get a chance to use them maybe next year. 

9 hours ago, TopStriperAngler said:

Interesting video. He must be a very good fly fisherman.  I can’t see how he uses a 6 wt.  I like that line tray. Nice and deep.  Fly line will not blow out of it.  But I’m not about to make one.
Tom

7 mins ago, reel em in said:

Fly and teaser works out back for me.  

Doesn't work out front. Fly gets all tangled up with the leader.

A 6wt into a head wind. Maybe him but not the average caster.  

Tom

Just need the right tools for the job. The two handed surf rod is not a spey rod