Two Hand Spey Casting

Rate this topic

reel em in

On 10/14/2023 at 11:37 AM, reel em in said:

Hey Mike O 

You still casting 15 and 18 ft rods?

Tom

Only 15 feet spey rods. Now I am no where near SMS’s league but I am able to cast for many hours. It is a question of technique and conditioning  plus I am lucky at my age to have really good shoulders. Also get mentored by Jim Fearn on a very regular basis. We are both obsessed about trying to learn more and improve. The winter is our casting season. I have a great deal to learn about Spey casting with double Handers. I have big gaps in my knowledge as regards Scandi and rod actions more suited to skagit. SMS has been very helpful. My obsession with very powerful Two Handers is holding back this learning to a degree. I can cast the Game Changer very well and with  good loop shape with the Igniter but need to use rods more suited and probably a bit shorter to get a more rounded education with Skagit which is my least favourite line. In pure casting terms the long belly spey line floats my boat the best. Have to cast this line to get qualified. It suits big rivers. The 18 footers are used by the competition guys. I do not ha e a need for them. Salt water my rods are approx 13 feet and out and out designed for overhead casting. Longer than that are harder work especially in head winds, shorter then performance  suffers. There is also handling to consider and the 13 footer works very well.

mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

Tom I can’t understand your aversion to Instructors.  Apart from a few lessons at age about fifty I too am self taught for single hand and two hand overhead. I was ok but not great. Then by chance I got a free one hour lesson with my now mentor Jim Fearn. It was clear that my cast was far from good. This was the kick I needed. I realised that the self taught route was very ineffective and at 68 time was not exactly on my side. Having had two years of pretty intense instruction and intense practice I know that it would have been impossible for me to have reached my current ability on my own. The errors would have been grooved in. It is so easy to do it wrong. Now that I am teaching single hand not double I see this all the time. I see it on the beach and in fresh water situations. Some guys have no interest getting better you are not one of them. I am struggling to find ways to help you as the written,and  spoken word and even videos are not desperately good mediums to teach a cast or help one. If you could be persuaded to try a lesson or two it may change your thinking.

mike

19 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Tom I can’t understand your aversion to Instructors.  Apart from a few lessons at age about fifty I too am self taught for single hand and two hand overhead. I was ok but not great. Then by chance I got a free one hour lesson with my now mentor Jim Fearn. It was clear that my cast was far from good. This was the kick I needed. I realised that the self taught route was very ineffective and at 68 time was not exactly on my side. Having had two years of pretty intense instruction and intense practice I know that it would have been impossible for me to have reached my current ability on my own. The errors would have been grooved in. It is so easy to do it wrong. Now that I am teaching single hand not double I see this all the time. I see it on the beach and in fresh water situations. Some guys have no interest getting better you are not one of them. I am struggling to find ways to help you as the written,and  spoken word and even videos are not desperately good mediums to teach a cast or help one. If you could be persuaded to try a lesson or two it may change your thinking.

mike

Nicely written Mike. 
I will be 73 in 1 week. 
Time is running out. 
I’m still in good shape, and still climb ladders. 

I’m having more fun doing it my way so no instructors not now or ever. 
Maybe because I was self-employed, my whole life. 
Maybe one day we will cross paths and we’ll talk. 
I really appreciate your insight on fly casting in your posts. 
Now if you lived on LBI, New Jersey I would be at your house every morning for coffee picking your brain. No drinks at night. I gave up drinking when I was 41 years old. I’m a bore. 
Tom

25 mins ago, surfflyguy said:

Check out those Spey o Rama videos on youtube very interesting. I bet on a calm day that back back of yours would be just like a lake

Yes 

Thursday and Friday of this week looks like favorable winds in the back bay. That day will be the day I will hit my mark. 

Tom

42 mins ago, reel em in said:

Interesting 

IMG_5500.jpeg

And 77m (252.6ft) with 18ft. But these records are with heavy tailing wind. My best measured 15’1” spey cast in dead air was 55m or 55.5m. And it was near perfect.

Those 1- and 2-handed figured from ACA are overhead, extremely fast sinking heads (650gr and 1855gr respectively). And with 100% certainty tailing wind. Those things hurt when one hits oneself with the line in the cast. I’ve tried that, not my cup of the - neither the tackle or the pain of the lashing.

3 mins ago, sms said:

And 77m (252.6ft) with 18ft. But these records are with heavy tailing wind. My best measured 15’1” spey cast in dead air was 55m or 55.5m. And it was near perfect.

Those 1- and 2-handed figured from ACA are overhead, extremely fast sinking heads (650gr and 1855gr respectively). And with 100% certainty tailing wind. Those things hurt when one hits oneself with the line in the cast. I’ve tried that, not my cup of the - neither the tackle or the pain of the lashing.

Interesting I will respond to this later. 

I’m trying to get on the beach.

Tom

3 hours ago, sms said:

I had to Google 55m. I’m a retired carpenter inches and feet are in my brain I never converted.
So 180 foot cast dead wind 15 ft rod. 
must be one heck of a rod and form. 

I like a tailing wind. Just cast and get the fly up in the air and let the wind carry. Turn your body a little. 

I’m a right hand caster and I like the wind on my left ear however I can get it. 

AND I crushed the barbs on the flies. 

Wading in about 2ft of water. But you have to remember that there is only a piece of wool at the end of the leader, the head is long and tuned for distance (could be used with a small fly thou) and the shooting line is thin mono with airchannels so it floats.