Two Hand Spey Casting

Rate this topic

reel em in

PEter Charles had a post on spey casting and said everyone needs to make sure they have SLP in their OH cast. Straight line path in their overhead cast. Otherwise when they start getting into other casts everything can get too curvy all the time. Food for thought. 

Charles main bit of advice for checking your OH SLP is looking at rod tip. Have someone stand behind you and watch it is another tip. 

Going to try this out 

Edited by TopStriperAngler

Had a great day on the water today Spey casting  with the 46 ft foot head. 
Started out front calm wind. Good casts. Moved to the back bay early afternoon when the wind picked up. 
Great casting. Big difference from the 53 ft head yesterday. I realize some guys cast 53 ft head or more  but maybe they’re using a longer rod. 

Waiting for that new Scandi line with a 39 ft head, maybe put up my distance that I am trying to achieve. 

34 mins ago, reel em in said:

Had a great day on the water today Spey casting  with the 46 ft foot head. 
Started out front calm wind. Good casts. Moved to the back bay early afternoon when the wind picked up. 
Great casting. Big difference from the 53 ft head yesterday. I realize some guys cast 53 ft head or more  but maybe they’re using a longer rod. 

Waiting for that new Scandi line with a 39 ft head, maybe put up my distance that I am trying to achieve. 

Check out the rio scandi body that might be the easiest for what you are trying to do 

19 mins ago, surfflyguy said:

How far are you trying to cast.? Because theres really not much difference between a 39 foot head and a 46 foot head

Yes, there is a difference from 39’to 46’ Same as 46’to 53’ on my other Scandi line. I will find out soon. 

Distance lets just say 50’ less than my best over hand cast. 
Tom

1 min ago, reel em in said:

@surfflyguy

What  kind of cast do you use for steelhead fishing?

What rod?

I never steelhead fished.
I missed all that. That’s life

Tom

for casts I do alot of double and single speys, snap t's and perry pokes and the sprial (snake roll).  Depending on where I fish depends on what line I use but here on the east coast outside canada most of the lines I fish are less than 40 feet in length. Theres just not enough room to fish real long lines as the premise of having those long lines is to basically pick them up and put them down without stripping any line in to shoot.  I fish mostly Rio lines as well although I have had a few custom built and if you are interested in going that way I can give you the contact information.  

The steelhead rods I use are from 12'6 to 15'1 and from 6-10 wts. I use the same rods for steelhead as I do Atlantic Salmon. I have a few switch rods and at one point they used to be all the rage but in reality they are probably better for overhead casting then spey casting. The spey rods werent really meant to be over head cast they really dont have the right tapper but people do mostly by overloading them. When I used to salt water fish I used my exocet surf rods much better tool.  

If you are looking for distance I think you should check out some of the Spey O Rama stuff they esstenitally cast in a big pond and all cast over 150 feet easily a calm ocean would essetially be the same thing.  The lines that you have used from 33-46' (technically those in the 46 foot range have traditionally been where mid belly has started but modern lines changed that)  all can be used with your current rod just have to do some tweaking with the cast not impossible. I wouldnt use any of the mid bellys (50 feet) with the rod you have. Also you can probably put a versitip on that will help with what you are trying to do. I wouldnt use a mono leader.

34 mins ago, surfflyguy said:

for casts I do alot of double and single speys, snap t's and perry pokes and the sprial (snake roll).  Depending on where I fish depends on what line I use but here on the east coast outside canada most of the lines I fish are less than 40 feet in length. Theres just not enough room to fish real long lines as the premise of having those long lines is to basically pick them up and put them down without stripping any line in to shoot.  I fish mostly Rio lines as well although I have had a few custom built and if you are interested in going that way I can give you the contact information.  

The steelhead rods I use are from 12'6 to 15'1 and from 6-10 wts. I use the same rods for steelhead as I do Atlantic Salmon. I have a few switch rods and at one point they used to be all the rage but in reality they are probably better for overhead casting then spey casting. The spey rods werent really meant to be over head cast they really dont have the right tapper but people do mostly by overloading them. When I used to salt water fish I used my exocet surf rods much better tool.  

If you are looking for distance I think you should check out some of the Spey O Rama stuff they esstenitally cast in a big pond and all cast over 150 feet easily a calm ocean would essetially be the same thing.  The lines that you have used from 33-46' (technically those in the 46 foot range have traditionally been where mid belly has started but modern lines changed that)  all can be used with your current rod just have to do some tweaking with the cast not impossible. I wouldnt use any of the mid bellys (50 feet) with the rod you have. Also you can probably put a versitip on that will help with what you are trying to do. I wouldnt use a mono leader.

Wow

Very informative post

I wasn’t expecting that

I will have to decipher this. Lol

Thanks

Tom

2 mins ago, reel em in said:

Wow

Very informative post

I wasn’t expecting that

I will have to decipher this. Lol

Thanks

Tom

Any further explanation needed let me know. I’ve been doing this for a while and when I started out I bought many different lines and rods so I’ve deff had my share of failures.

2 mins ago, surfflyguy said:

Any further explanation needed let me know. I’ve been doing this for a while and when I started out I bought many different lines and rods so I’ve deff had my share of failures.

All in the fun of it. 
At 72 gives me something to do. Lol

Thank You 

Tom