Two Hand Spey Casting

Rate this topic

reel em in

Yes. 

The reason I like 35 foot heads is because that is the maximum head length I can handle to make an unplugging move. A roll cast forward. Take that roll cast out of the air one back cast and deliver.

About 5 feet still has to be brought inside of the head to unplug. That is shot if possible into the roll cast if not into the back cast. This is for a 12'9" long rod.  Shorter rods need shorter heads. Trying to do this with longer heads can be extremely difficult to impossible. The more surf and the deeper the wade the harder it gets. 35 feet works very well.

Mike

Yes. 

The reason I like 35 foot heads is because that is the maximum head length I can handle to make an unplugging move. A roll cast forward. Take that roll cast out of the air one back cast and deliver.

About 5 feet still has to be brought inside of the head to unplug. That is shot if possible into the roll cast if not into the back cast. This is for a 12'9" long rod.  Shorter rods need shorter heads. Trying to do this with longer heads can be extremely difficult to impossible. The more surf and the deeper the wade the harder it gets. 35 feet works very well.

Mike

27 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Yes. 

Mike

Thanks, Mike
As long as you keep talking to me, I’m going to keep picking your brains. You are the FLY FISHING INSTRUCTOR. 

4 hours ago, reel em in said:

I see you are from California. I am in New Jersey.  Surf is OK but the wind. 
Maybe tomorrow. 

Right. Here it's all about big surf and no wind (if you fish the beaches before noon)

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught. 

On 10/10/2023 at 8:44 PM, Mike Oliver said:

YD

Give me the weight all up.weight of head.you are looking for and this is to include the tip and the length of your rod and I will send you one over on me.

Mike 

Much appreciated Mike. Ill send you a pm when I put specifications together correctly. Your time and generosity is a gift to us all.

11 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

I use the T&T surf rods on 90% of my trips.  Get the 12WT and use full

integrated lines with 30' head tapers in the 500-550 grain range.  I have broken my T&T rods 3 times since I got them in 2018.  T&T has charged a very reasonable repair fee and returned them in 90 days.  Breaking rods is normal if you fish hard and usually they break due to a mistake you made.  

The 10wt is a great rod if you want to save your shoulders a lot of pain by casting two hand overhead but I dont think it offers the advantages to cast in moderate to high wind or throw large flies that the 12wt offers.

GS

I appreciate your experienced insight. I knew you used the T&T Exocet surf, but didnt know you had the 10 and 12 weight. Since both the 12 and 10 weight are both 11' 2"

in length, do you use a 30 foot head taper on the ten weight also? What line are you using on the ten weight? I'm cofident between the great help I'm getting, I'll get this figured out. Thank You

8 hours ago, yarddog59 said:

GS

I appreciate your experienced insight. I knew you used the T&T Exocet surf, but didnt know you had the 10 and 12 weight. Since both the 12 and 10 weight are both 11' 2"

in length, do you use a 30 foot head taper on the ten weight also? What line are you using on the ten weight? I'm cofident between the great help I'm getting, I'll get this figured out. Thank You

On the 10 wt I use Rio Outbound short lines and they cast great.  They only have 30lb cores so I use 25lb 3-4' leaders (Mono for floating line and fluoro for the sinking line)

IMG_4742.png.4fda029566b3f46c4d5556f4eeb8c281.pngIMG_4741.png.39d5235ae0b3ed0b8ebb51eeb0a37abc.png

My 12wt I fish at the canal with 40lb leaders so I use Rio Leviathan 12/13wt line which has a 70lb core strength.  I have snapped fly line cores before but unless you are fishing insane currents from shore you probably do not need to consider that problem.  For everywhere else I use the Rio Tropical Outbound 12wt line that is the floating line with clear intermediate tip.  This is what I fish in boulder fields and shallow inlets or beaches in surf.  Fast and deep inlets canal or otherwise I throw the Leviathan line. 

Back out front today. Favorable wind.  
I switched back to the short belly Spey line with 46 ft head. 
Yesterday afternoon, favorable winds in the back bay. Spey casting the medium belly Spey line with the 53 ft head. 
I was having a hard time forming the D loop. Too much line on the water for me. 
I decided to shorten it up today. 

9 hours ago, reel em in said:

Back out front today. Favorable wind.  
I switched back to the short belly Spey line with 46 ft head. 
Yesterday afternoon, favorable winds in the back bay. Spey casting the medium belly Spey line with the 53 ft head. 
I was having a hard time forming the D loop. Too much line on the water for me. 
I decided to shorten it up today. 

T-- 53 feet of head and I think you said your rod is 13 feet. Means your D loop verses line on the water is small. Especially if a dead line roll cast. You can make a good D loop but the line on the water is going to be hard to move.Jump roll you can produce a much bigger D loop and a smaller.anchor. Perry poke is decent to.