Two Hand Spey Casting

Rate this topic

reel em in

1 hour ago, surfflyguy said:

Its probably the best mono out there for casting. Its all I use. You have to remember when spey casting we dont use striping baskets we coil the running line in loops between our fingers when preparing for the next cast. If its too slick which some people feel that rio makes a hybrid coated line. 

Years ago I tried coiling the running line in my fingers and I even made a holder for my belt but does not work out front.  In the back bay it is ok.
I decided a stripping basket is better.

In a previous post, you said you use mono for a running line. Another knowledgeable SOL member said they use 40 lb pound big game.
So I figured I’d give it a try.

Way too much memory for me. Years ago, I had problem with Rio Powerflex and the new version Ultra coiling. 
I return them all to Rio and it took me a year to get my money back. 

When I saw this SA flat mono, I said not again. I won’t even attempt to use it. And I will not soak it over night in fabric softener. 
Tom

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2023 at 7:16 PM, reel em in said:

I am going to experiment with a 475gr integrated line with a 25 ft Skagit head with a 10 ft T11 floating Mow tip. Total 35 ft head total about 595 gr spey casting or a Jedi cast using the Echo 13 ft spey rod. See how I like it. 

Thanks

Tom

Quoting myself

This worked out quite well in the back bay Spey casting. 
Line was Rio Elite Chucker. 
Each time I switch from one line to another line I have to adjust my cast to get the maximum distance casting. No two lines cast the same. Same rod but different lines. 
Tom 

10 mins ago, reel em in said:

Quoting myself

This worked out quite well in the back bay Spey casting. 
Line was Rio Elite Chucker. 
Each time I switch from one line to another line I have to adjust my cast to get the maximum distance casting. No two lines cast the same. Same rod but different lines. 
Tom 

stick with one line and you will fast farther than if you switch 

• 2 weeks later...

Spent an enjoyable day spey casting out front in the ocean. I have this figured out now using an intermediate line.  
I started out 0HC but the wind shifted to my right ear. I am right hand caster.

Spey casting saved the day. 
Just  another way to spend time on the water. 
Ocean temperature was 47° and air temperature was 39°  

No fish around now because of the water temperature but as you can see in the pictures  I would’ve been able to get the fish in the trough. Two hours after high tide outgoing to just the other side of low tide.

Who said in this thread that you couldn’t spey cast in the ocean?  Well, you’re wrong.

Tom

IMG_5622.jpeg

IMG_5620.jpeg

IMG_5619.jpeg

Edited by reel em in

Tom

Wind on casting shoulder your other options are to learn to cast with none dominant hand up the rod and this is not as hard as many might think.

The third option is to cast cack handed and fourth use your back cast to deliver. Spey casting we don't produce our D loop on the side the wind is blowing onto. Spey cast it would need to be left hand up snake roll or left hand up double spey. Is that what you were using. Shame no fish in the trough.

Mikey

16 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Tom

Wind on casting shoulder your other options are to learn to cast with none dominant hand up the rod and this is not as hard as many might think.

The third option is to cast cack handed and fourth use your back cast to deliver. Spey casting we don't produce our D loop on the side the wind is blowing onto. Spey cast it would need to be left hand up snake roll or left hand up double spey. Is that what you were using. Shame no fish in the trough.

Mikey

Hello Mike 

I’m a right hand caster. Forget about casting left hand. It’s like when I was a carpenter framing, houses and swinging the hammer with the left hand not gonna happen.
I’ve casted backwards, but it’s no fun. 

When the wind is on my right ear i simply turn sideways and cast down wind if I can. As long as the fly is out deep enough.  
If  I hit myself in the back with a fly, I call it a day. I also crush the barbs on the hooks. 
 I was just using a simple standard Spey cast with my own special technique. 

I’m on the beach now. Looking for a pocket of water 36° air temperature.  

• 2 weeks later...