Northfork Composites PSI990 Blank/Finished Rod

Rate this topic

Fergal

I finished this rod last week and I've had a chance to fish with it since Saturday. For those that don't know, Northfork Composites is Gary Loomis' company after selling G.Loomis to Shimano. They have a wide range of blanks available. Right now, other than CTS, they're probably the only company selling fly rod blanks. AFAIK, they are the only company making a one piece ~9' (8'10") blank.

There are two aspects to this build - the blank itself and the fact that it's a one piece rod. It's kind of hard to separate the two. Does it perform because it's a good rod or because it's one piece, or a bit of both? I'm not sure but after throwing this rod for a full week for albies, I don't ever see me using another rod for this type of fishing. I use a shooting head set-up for albies, in this case a head that weighs out to ~ a 10wt aftma @ 30' and a running line (one size up for a shooting head). It's absolutely perfect for me. The first part of my fishing saw 15-20mph winds with higher gusts that was slightly quartering from my left (but basically in my face) - this rod handled those conditions perfectly. The last few days have seen bluebird conditions and this rod has performed very well. I dicked around yesterday with my flats set-up and I was quite happy with that as well but I need to play around a bit more. Pricing, currently this blank is ~$200 bucks, an absolute steal imho. I do really think that the one piece is a big part of it.

The downside, it's one piece, if you off up and break it you're done. Travel, obviously that's not going to work.

The series comes in 8, 9, 10 & 12wts. they had a sale and I picked up an 8wt a while ago. Today, there's another sale, they're $112.50 if you buy 3 or more. I just picked up another 9, a 10 and a 12. you can't beat that with a stick...

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

I own a bunch of their spinning and conventional rods and one of their 6 weight fly rods.  (Those are sold by his other company, Edge Rods.)  A friend of mine here in NC has built quite a few rods with NFC blanks.  Quality stuff.  Thanks for the report on your field tests.  I'm interested.  

Drew glad it worked out to your liking. My favorite beach rod is a 1pc Loomis Cross Current in 10wt, very tempted to pick up a 990 for a winter project. Any noticeable difference you could discern shooting line with the torzite runners vs a conventional snake setup ? Oh and how was the albie fishing, hook it into any...

I don’t know what to say about the torzites, it’s not worse than snakes but I’m not sure that I can say it’s drastically better either. But I build the 8 & 9 with them as well. 

The more I fish this rod, the more that I like it. I need to fish a full line on it at some point. 

Fishing has been slow. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

9 mins ago, Stonefish said:

Thanks for the review. I wish they made one piece blanks down to 6 wts.

I don’t build rods myself but I’d have one rolled up. It would be perfect for my local fishing and no issues transporting it.

SF

I really would like an 11wt, I'd definitely consider a 6wt too.

6 hours ago, Stonefish said:

Thanks for the review. I wish they made one piece blanks down to 6 wts.

I don’t build rods myself but I’d have one rolled up. It would be perfect for my local fishing and no issues transporting it.

SF

Sawgrass rods make one piece fly rods on NFC blanks from 5-12 wts. I am eyeballing a 5 and 6wt.

Embrace American Privilege

1 hour ago, DAQ said:

Sawgrass rods make one piece fly rods on NFC blanks from 5-12 wts. I am eyeballing a 5 and 6wt.

Good to know. Thank you.

What blank model are they using?
I can’t seem to find 6 wt, one pc fast action blanks on the NFC website.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

On 10/5/2023 at 7:28 PM, Fergal said:

I finished this rod last week and I've had a chance to fish with it since Saturday. For those that don't know, Northfork Composites is Gary Loomis' company after selling G.Loomis to Shimano. They have a wide range of blanks available. Right now, other than CTS, they're probably the only company selling fly rod blanks. AFAIK, they are the only company making a one piece ~9' (8'10") blank.

There are two aspects to this build - the blank itself and the fact that it's a one piece rod. It's kind of hard to separate the two. Does it perform because it's a good rod or because it's one piece, or a bit of both? I'm not sure but after throwing this rod for a full week for albies, I don't ever see me using another rod for this type of fishing. I use a shooting head set-up for albies, in this case a head that weighs out to ~ a 10wt aftma @ 30' and a running line (one size up for a shooting head). It's absolutely perfect for me. The first part of my fishing saw 15-20mph winds with higher gusts that was slightly quartering from my left (but basically in my face) - this rod handled those conditions perfectly. The last few days have seen bluebird conditions and this rod has performed very well. I dicked around yesterday with my flats set-up and I was quite happy with that as well but I need to play around a bit more. Pricing, currently this blank is ~$200 bucks, an absolute steal imho. I do really think that the one piece is a big part of it.

The downside, it's one piece, if you off up and break it you're done. Travel, obviously that's not going to work.

The series comes in 8, 9, 10 & 12wts. they had a sale and I picked up an 8wt a while ago. Today, there's another sale, they're $112.50 if you buy 3 or more. I just picked up another 9, a 10 and a 12. you can't beat that with a stick...

Thanks for the post. I’m very intrigued about buying into these one piece rods. Probably because I don’t have one. When I went to the Northfork website the psi rods are advertised to be moderate in action versus fast action. Could you add to your description regarding the rod’s action. Example: is the rod action comparable to the old G Loomis, IMX rods? With sinking lines and heavy heads, usually rods that have a fast tip action helps with casting. Anyhow, what is it about these one piece rods that inspired you to make this posting here in SOL? Thanks for it any more insights you might share. 

RockfishOn!! :cool:

2 hours ago, Suave said:

@Fergal A picture is worth... So how about one of your rod as set-up for your current fishing? Thanks

Right now, there’s a 10wt head with a airflo running line. Nothing special about it. The build itself, Lemke Ti seat, amtak 20-12, then KT10-8-7(*5)-Arowana top. 

IMG_2469.jpeg

On 10/7/2023 at 8:15 AM, KironaFly said:

Thanks for the post. I’m very intrigued about buying into these one piece rods. Probably because I don’t have one. When I went to the Northfork website the psi rods are advertised to be moderate in action versus fast action. Could you add to your description regarding the rod’s action. Example: is the rod action comparable to the old G Loomis, IMX rods? With sinking lines and heavy heads, usually rods that have a fast tip action helps with casting. Anyhow, what is it about these one piece rods that inspired you to make this posting here in SOL? Thanks for it any more insights you might share. 

It’s been so long since I’ve thrown a Loomis that I can’t compare it. 

My Florida guide is big into one piece rods. We’ve discussed multiple times. That picked up when Hardy came out with their latest rod, my guide loves them. I’m getting one thru him but that won’t be until February. So in the meantime I figured I would try one of these. The blank is $200, which is not at all pricey. I hadn’t built a rod in a while so I got it. 

I would call the action moderate fast. The rod flexes down the blank a bit but recovers nicely. Its just an easy rod to throw. 

The main question is - do I like it because it’s a one piece vs is it just a nice rod? It’s really hard to strip that out. 

I didn’t intend to order another 9, 10, & 12. I was messing around, put one ‘in the cart’ and added a second a there was a discount. Two were $170, three were $112.50 each, why not get the three at that price?

Edited by Fergal