Allow myself to introduce… myself

Rate this topic

Machocheese

Welcome

got to meet your dad a couple of times fishing on the cape and once when he was at bears den

always enjoyed his company,  posts, photography and annual southern migration for the snook.

Look forward to your participation - all the best

Edited by Sound Fly
Typo

Welcome Matt !  Your dad and I went back and forth for years . Talked about Fla. fishing and PA. fishing would mention you always . We all miss him here greatly. Chuck 

1 hour ago, Machocheese said:

TLDR: Spawn of Bonefish says hi.

Hello all,

Been lurking around here the last few days and just wanted to say hello.

Name’s Matt and my Dad was the, apparently infamous, Bonefish Dick. 

Although I began fly fishing more than 40 years ago at the age of five, I’ve been out of the game for more than five years now. Due to a number of reasons, culminating with my dad’s illness and passing, I put it down, got busy with other things and eventually lost touch with fly fishing despite it being one of the defining characteristics of who I’d been most of my life. 

Recently my 12 year old son came to me and said, “We should start fishing. Why don’t we do that like you and grandpa used to?” 

He was right, of course, and since then I’ve been wading back in and going through the mountain of inherited gear in my basement. That also led me initially looking for current information, but then, leading me into a mass of old posts by and about my father that have been both fun and difficult to read through. I want to thank everyone for the outpouring of support that was posted here after my Dad’s death. I always knew it was here, it just took me a while to be ready to take it all in, I guess. 

Apologies for the long post, just wanted to say hello, thanks, and I look forward to seeing some of you out there. 

Best, 

Matt Perry

If it has fins i want to catch it 

Hi Matt,

So nice to hear from you.  You may remember meeting me when I spoke at your dad's wake. Your old man was one in a million and a very dear friend who I spent many memorable hours with fly fishing. I can't tell you how often the guys and I speak of him when we're chucking flies to hungry stripers. When the fishing is slow and I tie on a Betsy I speak to him out loud and say something like "OK Dick. I need some help getting the skunk off!"

Here's a pic of the very last day your old man and I fished together. Photo was taken by our great buddy Dean Wormell.  Left to right are Jeff Soderholm - a dear friend and the best fisherman I know now that your dad's gone, John Antignano - our good buddy from Florida, your old man Dick Perry AKA Bonefish Dick, our bud George Schwartz - aka "Gampfer" who ties some of the weirdest striper flies you'll ever see but still crushes fish, and that's me on the far right with one of my trademark hats.

FB_IMG_1696065855162.jpg.a5305b0872c4c89ab7cd55ad08c96e0f.jpg

Welcome to the forum Matt! I'll PM you my contact info. Let's make sure to spend some time on the water together!

Best,

Nauset Dog A.K.A. Mark Ellis 

Edited by NausetDog
Typo
Mark

Matt,I fished with your dad many places on the Cape over the years.When it was slow we'd take a seat in the sand,marsh,rocks etc and swap different flies along with how they were tied,materials,and how to improve[if possible] them.I have a couple of the Betsys in my shop that bring back those memories.One I do carry in my vcr fly box[he got a kick out of that] as a reminder.

Absolutely take your son fishing.Ol Bonefish is looking down upon you. Welcome. 

On 9/30/2023 at 5:40 AM, NausetDog said:

Hi Matt,

So nice to hear from you.  You may remember meeting me when I spoke at your dad's wake. Your old man was one in a million and a very dear friend who I spent many memorable hours with fly fishing. I can't tell you how often the guys and I speak of him when we're chucking flies to hungry stripers. When the fishing is slow and I tie on a Betsy I speak to him out loud and say something like "OK Dick. I need some help getting the skunk off!"

Here's a pic of the very last day your old man and I fished together. Photo was taken by our great buddy Dean Wormell.  Left to right are Jeff Soderholm - a dear friend and the best fisherman I know now that your dad's gone, John Antignano - our good buddy from Florida, your old man Dick Perry AKA Bonefish Dick, our bud George Schwartz - aka "Gampfer" who ties some of the weirdest striper flies you'll ever see but still crushes fish, and that's me on the far right with one of my trademark hats.

FB_IMG_1696065855162.jpg.a5305b0872c4c89ab7cd55ad08c96e0f.jpg

Welcome to the forum Matt! I'll PM you my contact info. Let's make sure to spend some time on the water together!

Best,

Nauset Dog A.K.A. Mark Ellis 

Hey Mark, I definitely remember you and all you did for my parents when my dad was sick. Thank you for everything, it was invaluable. Look forward to getting out there with you. Keep in touch!