vintage baits

capesams

44 mins ago, capesams said:

WOW * is  vintage  collecting   only  for  the  old  crew  no  young  guys  interested ?

it seems that way steve. Kind of car collecting. The younger generation could care less about vintage muscle cars and such. I love the vintage muscle cars myself because I grew up with it. 

I don't know; I still see a lot of muscle cars on the road here, even a Superbird (owned by a local) and a DeLoren (owned by a young kid from out of town).

I think that the Fast & Furious movies help with the appreciation of muscle cars.   There was one episode with a Superbird and, I think, a Dodge Challenger.

Steve,

years ago when I was a collector I use to go to all of the local flea markets looking  for vintage tackle. You had to get there before daylight or you would lose out to another collector .

so for the past year I have been to some of these flea markets as a seller and I have only sold two lures in a year from my collection.

One buyer did but six but they were intended for resale not for any collection.

On 9/29/2023 at 4:18 PM, capesams said:

any one collecting any these days seems like only new builders stuff.

4 hours ago, Robert Barnwell Roosevelt said:

I don't know; I still see a lot of muscle cars on the road here, even a Superbird (owned by a local) and a DeLoren (owned by a young kid from out of town).

I think that the Fast & Furious movies help with the appreciation of muscle cars.   There was one episode with a Superbird and, I think, a Dodge Challenger.

Delorens are garbage cars and not collectible. 

I think it’s because mint vintage lures are hard to find  and expensive.I collect some,but they are mostly commons and used.Ido enjoy collecting lures like Gibbs,Picney,Musso and others from that era,whenI can find them for a decent price.

3 hours ago, capesams said:

hay matt do you know the difference between a plug and a car? you want to talk cars on my thread go start your own thread about cars and i will come in and piss on your cornflakes.

I was comparing the two. Eat a snickers bar Steve, 

On 10/1/2023 at 2:33 PM, rfc said:

I think it’s because mint vintage lures are hard to find  and expensive.I collect some,but they are mostly commons and used.Ido enjoy collecting lures like Gibbs,Picney,Musso and others from that era,whenI can find them for a decent price.

I'm probably missing something, but from what I've seen on here and other plug sites, there are plenty of quality vintage plugs out there, such as Gibbs' in their original boxes and Musso's with the correct headers and bags. As for Pichney's, it's nice to have the bag, but there are plenty of his plugs out there in pristine condition without them. I am always amazed at how cheaply these plugs go for in view of what people will pay for builders who are new to the game. The key is that Gibbs, Pichney, and Musso are fishing plugs first and foremost, just like Beachmasters, Mike's, and others; collecting them is a whole other thing. That's why I don't put the condition of flaptails I collect at the top of the priority list; beaters and scarred up versions have a beauty and provenance all their own. I give huge props to folks who search out and find minty stuff, but if i opt to sell one of the few really nice Pichney's I have, it's going to go to someone I know is out there getting it done on the sand and rocks or a pitching deck. Heck, I've even let some of my Beachmasters go for way less than flippers get since a newcomer to the game can't get his or her hands on them - and II always tell them that the beat up ones fish just as well as the minty specimens and that basic colors work just fine without scales, shade fades, and other fancy - albeit impressive - airbrush work. I guess what they say is true: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

Be well everyone - and try to be nice. It's a tough world out there without those of who appreciate plugs chewing each other up. 

43 mins ago, Dave Peros said:

I'm probably missing something, but from what I've seen on here and other plug sites, there are plenty of quality vintage plugs out there, such as Gibbs' in their original boxes and Musso's with the correct headers and bags. As for Pichney's, it's nice to have the bag, but there are plenty of his plugs out there in pristine condition without them. I am always amazed at how cheaply these plugs go for in view of what people will pay for builders who are new to the game. The key is that Gibbs, Pichney, and Musso are fishing plugs first and foremost, just like Beachmasters, Mike's, and others; collecting them is a whole other thing. That's why I don't put the condition of flaptails I collect at the top of the priority list; beaters and scarred up versions have a beauty and provenance all their own. I give huge props to folks who search out and find minty stuff, but if i opt to sell one of the few really nice Pichney's I have, it's going to go to someone I know is out there getting it done on the sand and rocks or a pitching deck. Heck, I've even let some of my Beachmasters go for way less than flippers get since a newcomer to the game can't get his or her hands on them - and II always tell them that the beat up ones fish just as well as the minty specimens and that basic colors work just fine without scales, shade fades, and other fancy - albeit impressive - airbrush work. I guess what they say is true: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

Be well everyone - and try to be nice. It's a tough world out there without those of who appreciate plugs chewing each other up. 

I love this forum but I’m not a collector nor have any desire to pursue the rare and pristine plugs. About the only thing I collect is my Social Security check. I’m always impressed by the knowledge and passion by those who collect here. I’ve sold most of my collectibles that I bought in the 60’s to 80’s to collectors who would curate them, probably below market value. I did so with the hope that the buyers would keep that part of a heritage. 
For you on the forum who are serious vintage collectors, keep it up and preserve that part of striped bass history. A paint job on an unused plastic plug has little history to me unless the paint has been worn off.