RI Fish Report Blog, September 25 - October 1

Rate this topic

The fish blog was created as a common communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. Having this information in one thread benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters. The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own fish reports and comments.   This is the sixth year for this unique approach. Post your success or skunks, either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all share this information.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have at our disposal to predict what may happen tomorrow.

Should be a good week fishing. This is the 1st full week of the Autumn Season which started on Saturday, September 23rd.

Last week I noted a twelve degree drop in water temperature in a one week period from 73 degrees to 62 degrees.

Sunrises is close to 6:30am. The good action should continue were action left off last week.

If your chas'in hardtails, there is a mix, one day albies show, the next maybe bonito in numbers. Very few bass or blues around the Harbor of Refuge. 

In all cases anchovies are being regurgitated when returning them to the brine. 

YUN00060.jpg

YUN00044.jpg

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

SoCo:

Been out of town the last couple weeks so I decided to go out today middle of the day (11-2) expecting to get skunked. Immediately saw birds. Hooked up on most casts.

Surface action was the kind that regardless of the lure or skill set,  the fish were hitting it. Was still going when I left.  Most fish were 24-36". I left while they were still biting. Saw a couple large gators pulled out early but it changed over to all stripers fast.

Water started with enough mung to be annoying but fishable. Soon cleared to almost none.

Edited by dangingras

Fished in the back early this am after deciding that I didn't want to deal with raging ne crosswinds in the area I had planned to fish out front.

Loads of high schoolies and a few slot fish. No blues. A few shad. There were definitely bigger available if you could fool them with all the mullet swirling around.

Pfantum Pfishah

A bunch of tiny bait around but the wind wasn’t doing us any favors. Took a few swings on the old casting egg.

IMG_2273.jpeg.1da314f183495bca7bf4a706b103c6c1.jpeg

The bad news: had 2 hits on the (hookless) egg and zero on the fly. 

The good news: I built an identical sized egglet lure that I built over the winter as a novelty project that may have some use after all.

IMG_0414.jpeg.104c5a6e6cf2c918c64da9e44f1179b8.jpeg

Dangingras - are you fishing sand or rock?  I have been hitting the SoCo beaches the past two weeks, casting pretty hard and not even a bump.  The only birds I have seen have been sitting in parking lots and on the sand including today. Once I saw a good size group sitting together just off the shore (which usu means they are sitting on bait, cast into them and nothing there).  I hit one very long beach that you can "Trust" has a pond behind it and saw some action way out, one day, that was unreachable from shore and the water has been pretty dirty there after storms.

Drove past Gansett beaches today at mid-day, figures it starts raining and the NE wind was uncastable.  Maybe I should try getting down there at first light?

25 mins ago, SteelheadJoe said:

Dangingras - are you fishing sand or rock?  I have been hitting the SoCo beaches the past two weeks, casting pretty hard and not even a bump.  The only birds I have seen have been sitting in parking lots and on the sand including today. Once I saw a good size group sitting together just off the shore (which usu means they are sitting on bait, cast into them and nothing there).  I hit one very long beach that you can "Trust" has a pond behind it and saw some action way out, one day, that was unreachable from shore and the water has been pretty dirty there after storms.

Drove past Gansett beaches today at mid-day, figures it starts raining and the NE wind was uncastable.  Maybe I should try getting down there at first light?

Rocks

44 mins ago, SteelheadJoe said:

Thanks brother, I shall get the korkers out and try some rock jumping!

Get the sandals not the boots imho. Way more versatile (ive thrown over sneakers in a pinch and once or twice I've even barefooted them, although the disclaimer advises against), affordable, and durable than the insert style (the boot upper tends to go before the bottom). I have the pop in as opposed to screw in (rock trax?) and have been more than pleased. 300+ days in the salt only replaced spikes once (and a couple random ones here and there).

Yes sir, I bought new korkers sandals literally 2 months ago.  I have them on a pair of hiking boots now, but they work just as good on the waders.  I just need to make sure I fasten them tightly - the last pair I had, the left one was on too loose and it went right into the ocean at Jamestown and from experience they really work best when you retain possession of both the left and the right haaa!

Last night backwater first cast fish on. While I have the fish on 4 people show up across the small channel and start fishing. Basically their casts are landing right in front of me. They knew I was there. I tried moving and casting in a non preferred direction away from them but they were casting in all directions like I wasn’t there. I wound up leaving.  Caught one other there and the other guys fishing caught several schoolies. For some reason they were fishing with their headlights on. Unfortunately I think these people are regulars now in this spot. 
Went to a different spot and had pretty good action. Largest was around the 35” category on a black 7.5” sluggo. Other fish around 24” variety. About 6 fish on the night. Caught on. Veriaty of lures.