Are these stress fractures on my rod blank?

Rate this topic

Colin2175

I recently got a Tsunami Trophy II 9’ which is my first surf rod. When I got the rod a few days ago I slightly bent the rod to test it out and I believe I heard some cracking, but I shrugged it off. Today I noticed some lines going from the tip all the way to the bottom of the blank. Are these stress fractures? Will these cause any issues while fishing? I’m kinda worried my rod is just gonna snap while on a fish or casting due to these cracks. I’ll post a video showing the cracks so you can see for yourself. It’s kinda hard to get a good video of the cracks, but you should be able to see them in the video.

The "cracking" sound on a new rod when 1st stressed is the finish on the guides most likely at the guide foot where the wrap ends towards the guide not the tip of the guide. As the rod is stressed you have the guides and blank moving but the finish when applied is on the rod when straight[of course].Some finishes are not as flexible as others.When replacing damaged guides down the road some rods the finish is really tough to cut without any heat applied and some the finish is more flexible[softer].:howdy:

1 hour ago, theshadow said:

The "cracking" sound on a new rod when 1st stressed is the finish on the guides most likely at the guide foot where the wrap ends towards the guide not the tip of the guide. As the rod is stressed you have the guides and blank moving but the finish when applied is on the rod when straight[of course].Some finishes are not as flexible as others.When replacing damaged guides down the road some rods the finish is really tough to cut without any heat applied and some the finish is more flexible[softer].:howdy:

Thanks! That makes sense as to why the rod chad making a cracking noise.

28 mins ago, Colin2175 said:

I can slightly feel this one with my fingernail when I go over it. My nail could be getting caught on a small bump though it's hard to tell. There are a few small bumps on the blank. This one is maybe 4" from the tip, and the line is around 1" in length.

that looks like residue from either the thread finish or the tip adhesive.  it could also just be an inperfection in the clear coat.  

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

5 hours ago, EBHarvey said:

that looks like residue from either the thread finish or the tip adhesive.  it could also just be an inperfection in the clear coat.  

Thanks for your response. There doesn't appear to be a clear coat of epoxy or anything else on the blank, so it could just be an imperfection on the blank itself? There are also other similar dot marks on the blank.
IMG_0736.png