plug ID …also need a knot ID as well

Rate this topic

gotrings

On 9/16/2023 at 6:36 PM, gotrings said:

i fished the canal for the first time this week. i’m a long island guy. found an interesting plug. the thing was tied with what I am guessing was 125 lb leader. Have to be honest I have lost all respect for you guys after seeing this rig… especially the knot. :eek:

F6E4F2EF-4324-4FB2-808C-7F96CD70BD6C.jpeg

9BBBEDAA-7EDE-4EF1-B51C-A8C8CE1C03D1.jpeg

Cedar plug and is used for trolling. They come pre rigged with the heavy line. Shockingly good for mahi, tuna, etc. Maybe washed up from elsewhere maybe??

14 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

That hook in comparison to a 4/0 VMC.

Split left on the nose, clip on the tie not the split. 

I love that knot.

20230917_171840.jpg

I take it that placing the larger treble on the front did the trick and got the plug to dig a little deeper ?  I found that placing the tip of the rod in the water when you can will do the same thing, instead of working the plug with the rod up and you will feel the wiggle even more, enough to even change retrieve rates and make it slower or faster. Peace and Prayers 

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

I take it that placing the larger treble on the front did the trick and got the plug to dig a little deeper ?  I found that placing the tip of the rod in the water when you can will do the same thing, instead of working the plug with the rod up and you will feel the wiggle even more, enough to even change retrieve rates and make it slower or faster. Peace and Prayers 

I would assume such a large set of hooks dulls the action. Whoever rigged it either had a specific application in mind or more likely wasn't aware of how such a drastic hardware change could impact the swim.

Good tips on swimming a plug deeper.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333