Thoughts on Jetty Etiquette

Rate this topic

This is gonna be a two parter...

Part 1...Was fishing a RI jetty the other night during outgoing tide, y'all know when to fish the tide. Any ways...some genius in a less then special boat decided it would be a good time to come out the jetty and fish the drift from his boat. Literally putting his boat in the drift that us on the jetty were drifting. Now if he just did this the one time he was coming out of the jetty, I'd have no complaints. But this wicked smaht individual decided it would be best to continuously circle back into the mouth and start the drift all over again and again essentially blocking anyone from casting every 5-10 mins. I know we don't own the ocean or the jetty but c'mon? I've been fishing this jetty steady for about 6 years and this is the first time I've seen this kind of circus. I will say after about 90 mins of his antics he finally headed back up the breachway not to be heard from the rest of the night. 

So my question to y'all is how would you handle it? 

Part 2...How do y'all handle people on the rocks in sneakers?  I try to mind my own business but the other night I had to climb down the jetty to help a young man who'd fallen get out. It was at that moment I couldn't hold my tongue anymore because there were 5 young men, all in sneakers. My speech to them went something along the lines of (I'll leave the explicit words out) "I come here to fish. The last thing I want to do is have to dial 911 for one on y'all with sneakers on lying in the rocks with your head busted open or worse calling so the coast guard can pick your dumba$$es up sometime tomorrow when they find ya. Is your life worth $100? Don't come back here unless you have proper footwear. The rest of us didn't come here to land your fish for you. There's a high surf advisory tonight and you're out here drinking on the rocks with sneakers on!! I don't want to go home at the end of the night with the vision of you being swept out to sea embedded in my head!"

Do you all agree? Would you say something or not? I'm not trying to shame anyone into not fishing because there's plenty of fish for everyone but dang I don't want to see someone get hurt or worse. Thanks for letting me rant. 

most boaters dont care about people fishing from shore , keep something cheap like a diamond jig in your bag - use heavy enough line and cast as close to them as you can cross their line and break them off . they leave every time ! pissed off but they cant land a boat on the jetty and confront you . fishing etiquette is a thing of the past. the new term is "combat fishing" its dog eat dog be the bigger dog, some the dumbest and rudest people i have ever met have fishing poles. only idiots cast where they cant land a fish. if someone is alone and hurt dial 911 only takes a minute if they have someone with them let them worry about  themselves.

Edited by angler management

the takers get the honey and the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower

Common sense and courtesy are gone, it’s the age of instant gratification and entitlement. Nothing is earned or respected. I have tried to give people advice on safety or etiquette, and usually get a **** response so iam done w that unles I really feel the person didn’t  know. Could give example after example of this type of crap.

^^ I didnt even notice it didnt get censored, I guess anal is acceptable in SOL....

5 hours ago, Backroads said:

This is gonna be a two parter...

Part 1...Was fishing a RI jetty the other night during outgoing tide, y'all know when to fish the tide. Any ways...some genius in a less then special boat decided it would be a good time to come out the jetty and fish the drift from his boat. Literally putting his boat in the drift that us on the jetty were drifting. Now if he just did this the one time he was coming out of the jetty, I'd have no complaints. But this wicked smaht individual decided it would be best to continuously circle back into the mouth and start the drift all over again and again essentially blocking anyone from casting every 5-10 mins. I know we don't own the ocean or the jetty but c'mon? I've been fishing this jetty steady for about 6 years and this is the first time I've seen this kind of circus. I will say after about 90 mins of his antics he finally headed back up the breachway not to be heard from the rest of the night. 

So my question to y'all is how would you handle it? 

Part 2...How do y'all handle people on the rocks in sneakers?  I try to mind my own business but the other night I had to climb down the jetty to help a young man who'd fallen get out. It was at that moment I couldn't hold my tongue anymore because there were 5 young men, all in sneakers. My speech to them went something along the lines of (I'll leave the explicit words out) "I come here to fish. The last thing I want to do is have to dial 911 for one on y'all with sneakers on lying in the rocks with your head busted open or worse calling so the coast guard can pick your dumba$$es up sometime tomorrow when they find ya. Is your life worth $100? Don't come back here unless you have proper footwear. The rest of us didn't come here to land your fish for you. There's a high surf advisory tonight and you're out here drinking on the rocks with sneakers on!! I don't want to go home at the end of the night with the vision of you being swept out to sea embedded in my head!"

Do you all agree? Would you say something or not? I'm not trying to shame anyone into not fishing because there's plenty of fish for everyone but dang I don't want to see someone get hurt or worse. Thanks for letting me rant. 

Part 1- fish around the boat. It isn't that hard.

Part 2- mind your own business. Stupidity would work itself out if people let it.

57 mins ago, angler management said:

most boaters dont care about people fishing from shore , keep something cheap like a diamond jig in your bag - use heavy enough line and cast as close to them as you can cross their line and break them off . they leave every time ! pissed off but they cant land a boat on the jetty and confront you . fishing etiquette is a thing of the past. the new term is "combat fishing" its dog eat dog be the bigger dog, some the dumbest and rudest people i have ever met have fishing poles. only idiots cast where they cant land a fish. if someone is alone and hurt dial 911 only takes a minute if they have someone with them let them worry about  themselves.

You might need some anger management. You also might find yourself getting fined for sportsman harassment.

Edited by RWP

Give the boater an earful or blast some diamond jigs his way; as for the sneaker wearers…you can’t fix stupid. Sucks that you’re probably wasting your breath. People don’t realize the predicament they put others in when they’re ill prepared (or oblivious) and are putting themselves in a dangerous situation. You did the right thing. Darwinism or a little FAFO will bite them in the ass eventually if they don’t heed the warning. Good on ya man. 

Etiquette Isn't a rule or a law. It's not enforceable. It comes down to two factors;

the culprit is ignorant. They just don't know any better and maybe aren't smart enough to figure it out. Usually the yelling and insults tip them off. Jigs landing close help emphasize the point. The decent guys learn from their mistakes. 

Or, they are just total A-holes and they don't give a crap for others. These people have always existed of course but the past 10 years has elevated being an A-hole into some kind of badge of honor. 

Unfortunately the second group will not learn nor feel bad about their assholery. How they're dealt with is up to the passive or aggressive nature of the guys on the rocks.

As to footwear, I won't bring someone who I might have to rescue. I will educate them or not bring them.

Strangers are on their own. I'll call 911.

19 mins ago, sikcrodbends said:

Give the boater an earful or blast some diamond jigs his way; as for the sneaker wearers…you can’t fix stupid. Sucks that you’re probably wasting your breath. People don’t realize the predicament they put others in when they’re ill prepared (or oblivious) and are putting themselves in a dangerous situation. You did the right thing. Darwinism or a little FAFO will bite them in the ass eventually if they don’t heed the warning. Good on ya man. 

1 min ago, mikez2 said:

Etiquette Isn't a rule or a law. It's not enforceable. It comes down to two factors;

the culprit is ignorant. They just don't know any better and maybe aren't smart enough to figure it out. Usually the yelling and insults tip them off. Jigs landing close help emphasize the point. The decent guys learn from their mistakes. 

Or, they are just total A-holes and they don't give a crap for others. These people have always existed of course but the past 10 years has elevated being an A-hole into some kind of badge of honor. 

Unfortunately the second group will not learn nor feel bad about their assholery. How they're dealt with is up to the passive or aggressive nature of the guys on the rocks.

As to footwear, I won't bring someone who I might have to rescue. I will educate them or not bring them.

Strangers are on their own. I'll call 911.

You guys are psychopaths.

Casting jigs at boats is dangerous and illegal.

Fish around the boat, share the water. They have every right to be there and in a lot of states boats have the right of way over shore anglers.

You're not some special elite class because you fish from shore. You don't own the water in front of you just because you're there.

Fortunately in the states I've fished in, it's illegal to be on the jetty rocks. Keep casting jigs at boats and maybe it will be illegal in your state too.

8 mins ago, RWP said:

Fish around the boat, share the water. They have every right to be there and in a lot of states boats have the right of way over shore anglers.

You're not some special elite class because you fish from shore. You don't own the water in front of you just because you're there.

Fortunately in the states I've fished in, it's illegal to be on the jetty rocks. Keep casting jigs at boats and maybe it will be illegal in your state too.

You fish somewhere that jetty fishing isn't allowed?

Good for you. 

No wonder you don't get it.

Enjoy your elite status as a boater.

28 mins ago, RWP said:

You must be part of the collective that has zero situational awareness and lack of common courtesy. And you have no idea just how elite I am, you ever seen me in the surf???

Just now, sikcrodbends said:

You must be part of the collective that has zero situational awareness and lack of common courtesy. And you have no idea just how elite I am, you ever seen me in the surf???

I don't even own a boat.

I fish from a kayak, and have no issues yielding to bank fisherman.

I'll also yield to boat fisherman while I'm fishing from shore.

It's public water and it's easy for everyone to get along.

It's also easy to be an sweet heart, barking about how it's your jetty, and lobbing 3oz hunks of lead at people and expensive property that isn't yours.

Try it with me. It will be on camera and fish and wildlife will be on the way.

3 mins ago, RWP said:

I don't even own a boat.

I fish from a kayak, and have no issues yielding to bank fisherman.

I'll also yield to boat fisherman while I'm fishing from shore.

It's public water and it's easy for everyone to get along.

It's also easy to be an sweet heart, barking about how it's your jetty, and lobbing 3oz hunks of lead at people and expensive property that isn't yours.

Try it with me. It will be on camera and fish and wildlife will be on the way.

Dude your point is moot. I fish from boats, I fish from yaks, I fish from shore. I’ve done it all. I know exactly what the OP is describing because I’ve witnessed it myself and fished the same area and have been in similar predicaments any many different locations. Regardless, I’ve been cut off by boats & yaks in the past while shore fishing and it all boils down to situational awareness and a persons lack of common courtesy (or just plain ol jackassery). 

3 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Yes by all means, come on out and test the theory.

Come up on a Saturday in albies season. Buzz the jetties. Take your video. Call F&G. Then wait for them to show.

Good Fn luck with that.

He’s gonna pull a Karen. Steer clear of this guy, GoPro hero on the loose!