What # braid for boat rod setup bottom fishing?

Rate this topic

Bunker_Chunker

that's a huge range of potential conditions and needs you're trying to fit into a one-size-fits-all line.  I use 8lb for fluke and seabass and 50 or even 65 sometimes for bass and togs if it's a really rocky area.  There's a tradeoff between abrasion resistance with a heavy line and the ability to fish lighter lures/jigs without getting scoped out that you get from thin line, and unfortunately if you try to balance the two and pick something in the middle you're probably goign to be disappointed.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

26 mins ago, EBHarvey said:

that's a huge range of potential conditions and needs you're trying to fit into a one-size-fits-all line.  I use 8lb for fluke and seabass and 50 or even 65 sometimes for bass and togs if it's a really rocky area.  There's a tradeoff between abrasion resistance with a heavy line and the ability to fish lighter lures/jigs without getting scoped out that you get from thin line, and unfortunately if you try to balance the two and pick something in the middle you're probably goign to be disappointed.

Wow 8lbs for fluke! braid right? ever have any issues with breaking line? and I was think 50-80lbs for bass. I have multiple rods I was just trying to balance out the nicest setup to do a big of everything but maybe I should just set that up for bass

15 20 30/40

make 3 different setups and be ready for anything in these waters.

there is no one reel to cover all.

if i had a choice for a 1 setup. if shimano your tea, id use a OJ 2000NR/Trinidad 16NA with 20lb.

haters will always hate. trolls will always troll. its how the internet works.

(previously known as 'ooeric')

Like others have mentioned, that is a very wide range of species for one designated rod.  I personally have 30lb test on my torium 14 hg and it has stood the test of time for some of the species that you mentioned.  Based on my experience, I'd recommend anywhere between 30 and 40 lb test especially near rocky areas.  As for my lighter fluke/ sea bass setups, I'll go anywhere from 8-15lb braid.

8 mins ago, Xx_striper_sniper_xX said:

Like others have mentioned, that is a very wide range of species for one designated rod.  I personally have 30lb test on my torium 14 hg and it has stood the test of time for some of the species that you mentioned.  Based on my experience, I'd recommend anywhere between 30 and 40 lb test especially near rocky areas.  As for my lighter fluke/ sea bass setups, I'll go anywhere from 8-15lb braid.

Glad to hear the 30lb on your torium has done good for you, how do you like the reel? I gotta give the 8lbs a try now on my light rod

1 hour ago, Bunker_Chunker said:

Glad to hear the 30lb on your torium has done good for you, how do you like the reel? I gotta give the 8lbs a try now on my light rod

I like the reel alot, very powerful for a small profile.  I have it paired with a trevala 66 M and it is perfect for fluke/seabass on the reef, also have jigged bass with it too.  In terms of using 8 lb test, I like it on my spinning setups.

1 hour ago, Bunker_Chunker said:

Maybe it's a West Coast thing

I fish SF Bay, Pacific out of Half Moon Bay . Once in a while a few other saltwater locations.

Not counting my 4/0 and 6/0 Penns, I use from 15 to 40# mono and one reel I've loaded with 50# braid.

Not pictured is an old Abu Garcia 6500C with about 200 yards of 15# mono.

(most of my stuff might be considered old and obsolete but works for me) 

I fish from 12 to 80 feet deep, (don't care to fishing much over 80 deep feet when bottom fishing).

The rods 7' to 8'6"are designed for 3/8 oz to 8 oz. so what determines what I use depends on how much weight is needed considering current and depth.

Just finished clean/servicing and new mono line installed. I put the braid on the Newell over a year ago but it's not been used yet. I use to use it only as my light line albacore reel which is what it was made for.

from the left side

P220-F Newell 50 braid, Shimano 400 Calcutta 20# mono,  Penn Squidder w/Newell kit 30# mono, Shimano triton 300 40# mono.

image.jpeg.6287c428b867612e61db6eb23b35bbef.jpeg

3 hours ago, Mike Mendez said:

Maybe it's a West Coast thing, but I'd put on 300 yards of 65lb braid and fish a mono, or fluorocarbon leader.

There's definitely a lot of regional variation, and I think much of it has to do with how tides differ.  As I understand them, in CA the tide comes in a bit, then goes out a little for a couple hours, then comes in the rest of the way, then goes out in one shot.  I have no idea what kind of current profile that sets up, but I have to believe it's very different than what we see in the northeast where the 2 high tides and 2 low tides are almost of equal magnitude and the highs and lows are all 6 hours apart.  In long island sound where I fish the tides can be close to 8ft, and change so quickly that the water on the bottom is often still moving in one direction long after the water at the surface has switched, making it nealy impossible to hold bottom.  I had a drift a few days ago in only 40 feet of water with no wind where I was going close to 4mph and couldn't hold bottom with 10oz because the bottom half of the water column was doing something completely different than the surface water.  In that scenario 65lb braid would be like a drift sock, and even 10lb wasn't thin enough to make the conditions fishable.

Makes you wonder how those guys in japan can fish 100gram jigs in 200 ft of water.  until you realize their tides are less than a foot.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.