What size reel for 8.5 ft surf rod ?

Rate this topic

mark d

getting old, shoulders shot so i have been downsizing my surf rods. Been using a 9.5 ft odm frontier x with a penn slammer 4500 last couple of years. Just bought a century slingshot 8.5 ft in the bst. So, will my slammer 4500 be ok or too big ?

I have zero experience with such a short surf rod, but my shoulder will thank me

Thanks

"what good are tractors without violins" ?   jose figueres

go smaller and lighter.

a japanese 3000 or 4000 deep spool version reel. maybe a 5000 size.

typically weight about 7-10oz.

throwing 8,10,15lb braid.

if you want to stick with penn. thats their 2500 size.

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

Actually i dont care too much about weight within reason. I realize i am in the minority on this. It is a matter of balance. I tried my torque 5 on the odm frontier when i first got it, but yikes, felt way wrong

I don’t have a slammer in a 4500 size I’ve got bigger sizes which are heavy reels. I’ve personally used spinfishers in 4500 on 8-9 rods. Not sure of weight difference between slammer 4500 and spinfisher 4500.

Maybe if you’re looking for a good cheap reel, grab one of the 4000 sized shimano stradic fl’s? I mean they’re all severely discounted right now due to the new ones coming out sometime this year. Maybe even a 3000 size not sure how either would balance on your rod.

“I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.”

17 mins ago, mark d said:

Actually i dont care too much about weight within reason. I realize i am in the minority on this. It is a matter of balance. I tried my torque 5 on the odm frontier when i first got it, but yikes, felt way wrong

Edit: Got that all messed up lol!

I thought you were trying to go lighter. That’s why you bought the century! There’s nothing worse than fishing with a tip-heavy combo, now matter how light that combo is!

And although, I don’t care for Shimano reels, I am realizing, it’s kind a hard to beat them for their weight!
I love Penn reels, but, they’re just not as light as other brands unfortunately!

I was going to mention something about the smaller VR’s, but don’t know anything about those, only had a 150,  years ago!

Edited by ExcessiveAngler
mis-quote

if you need a reel to counter balance a rod tip.

the rods design is at fault.  the tip is too heavy.

if you dont want to find a lighter tip rod.

you dont need a bigger reel to balance.

just shove a sinker under the butt cap.

i rather have a rod with the weight on at the very bottom, then the weight at my hand.

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

35 mins ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

Obviously, he’s trying to go lighter. That’s why he bought the century! There’s nothing worse than fishing with a tip-heavy combo, now matter how light that combo is!

How would a lighter reel offset a tip heavy rod?  Wouldn’t a heavier reel balance better in that situation?

Just now, FalmouthFisher said:

How would a lighter reel offset a tip heavy rod?  Wouldn’t a heavier reel balance better in that situation?

I meant, a lighter reel in general!

You’re going to get a Century Rod, you might as well get a nice light reel too, right?

Yes, a heavier reel can help with balance!

kind of seems to defeat the purpose to me!

I like the idea, of just being able to balance the butt, sometimes I’ll take the butt cap off and put something in there, anything from washers to lead coin weights lol!

Also, have used rubber chair leg caps and slid them over the butt cap too, with something in there, to balance the rod!

I think one of the Rod companies makes butt caps now, with the adjustable weights that just screw into the back!

I'm not so much worried about weight as loading the rod. My previous go to was a cts s8 12 ft. Great rod but you gotta lay into it to load it. I am headed into the easy to load territory. I believe this is much more important then a few ozs here or there for me and my shoulder(s)

It's the exact opposite lol

Throwing 0-2.5oz is no big deal for shoulders, back, and hands. You can cast that weight one handed with ease.

The total weight you're carrying makes a much bigger difference on your joints.