SaltX 2nd Gen Spinning Reel

Rate this topic

Sir Defyable

14 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

That is a 6k, which is the same size I used in the first version.

I usually fish that reel with a 10’ black hole SBS or a 9’ (one piece) Lami GSB built from a 1201M blank

Quick question for you. I own the 1st gen 6k and I was able to order a 2nd gen 6k from TD. I’m not a huge fan of the stock knobs and looking for options, but don’t see any out there. Looking at the Gomexus 45mm aluminum for 1st gen and 45mm titanium for 2nd gen.

Have you thought about swapping the knob out? I reached out to Gomexus and they said their current knobs won’t work with SaltX and SaltX II.

Not a biggie and it’s just a nice to have at this point.

42 mins ago, hobbyisterisis said:

Quick question for you. I own the 1st gen 6k and I was able to order a 2nd gen 6k from TD. I’m not a huge fan of the stock knobs and looking for options, but don’t see any out there. Looking at the Gomexus 45mm aluminum for 1st gen and 45mm titanium for 2nd gen.

Have you thought about swapping the knob out? I reached out to Gomexus and they said their current knobs won’t work with SaltX and SaltX II.

Not a biggie and it’s just a nice to have at this point.

Not sure about this new knob but the previous knob on the gen1 sure was a weak point. I had worn through the squishy material on that thing after 1.5 outings in the surf and was not happy to find out the shaft diameter that the knob spins on is non-standard for all aftermarket power knobs. 

I will say this knob feels much better in hand- rubberized and textured so it’s nice and grippy, and it doesn’t move around on the knob like the previous. Feels more durable, but only time will tell I suppose. If there’s a “proprietary” shaft diameter again I will be very confused as to why but I’m not sure yet if that’s the case. Maybe @scoobydoo can shed some light on that for us

1 hour ago, Sir Defyable said:

Not sure about this new knob but the previous knob on the gen1 sure was a weak point. I had worn through the squishy material on that thing after 1.5 outings in the surf and was not happy to find out the shaft diameter that the knob spins on is non-standard for all aftermarket power knobs. 

I will say this knob feels much better in hand- rubberized and textured so it’s nice and grippy, and it doesn’t move around on the knob like the previous. Feels more durable, but only time will tell I suppose. If there’s a “proprietary” shaft diameter again I will be very confused as to why but I’m not sure yet if that’s the case. Maybe @scoobydoo can shed some light on that for us

If you reach out to tsunami they will hook you up with a Eva foam knob for the gen 1. My contact person was Cindy 

I don't know who made the made Gen 1 knobs but that person just sucks. Maybe the "original" ones were good in the prototype phase and the factory just sucked but a lot of them fell apart with normal use, simply because the stitching wore through.  Substantial improvement with the Gen 2 knob as long as the rubber doesn't get tacky through heavy use but I can't imagine it will.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, NCRed44 said:

How is the line lay on these 2nd gen reels? 

This is out of the box with thin diameter 30lb braid, rotating the spool a quarter turn occasionally while spooling the line on. It came with a thick shim and a thin shim installed, so I pulled the thin shim out after seeing how the lay ended up. I’m hoping that will tighten up the lay under the spool lip. Haven’t dumped the line off and refilled the spool yet to see how that works out though. Just looking at this picture it’s not bad. If I was running thicker line (40-50lb braid) I think it would be fine out of the box

IMG_7988.jpeg

Edited by Sir Defyable

On 7/7/2024 at 7:59 PM, Waverider23 said:

I don't know who made the made Gen 1 knobs but that person just sucks. Maybe the "original" ones were good in the prototype phase and the factory just sucked but a lot of them fell apart with normal use, simply because the stitching wore through.  Substantial improvement with the Gen 2 knob as long as the rubber doesn't get tacky through heavy use but I can't imagine it will.

For $400+ there is a lot of aluminum and not enough titanium. Can’t imagine it justifies people buying this over the VR. Not a VS fanboy either, I prefer shimano but you can’t swim or dunk that…

waiting for someone to put this to the test and see if it takes off. 

the fact that it was introduced last year and only now became available is concerning. Could be a manufacturing situation or a late discovered defect. 

icast is a few days away 

1 hour ago, BentHookzMA said:

For $400+ there is a lot of aluminum and not enough titanium. Can’t imagine it justifies people buying this over the VR. Not a VS fanboy either, I prefer shimano but you can’t swim or dunk that…

waiting for someone to put this to the test and see if it takes off. 

the fact that it was introduced last year and only now became available is concerning. Could be a manufacturing situation or a late discovered defect. 

icast is a few days away 

I’m certainly not a fanboy of any reel brand either as I seem to have a knack for pushing reels beyond the point of failure a little too often, but I feel I should ask what you were hoping would be made out of titanium that isn’t? Titanium main shaft, titanium spool lip, titanium bail wire. Seems like those are the main components offered in titanium from other brands. 

I think the new VR is certainly the main competition for this reel and two of my fishing buddies that I see very often are having very good luck with their VR reels so far. This SaltX2 definitely has work to do to surpass the performance of the second gen VR even if it’s a bit easier on the wallet.

This 2nd gen Saltx is supposed to be 100 percent sealed like a van staal vsx? Meaning it can be reeled underwater and be fine. I know my first gen vr50 died pretty quick with water intrusion.

I don't want to repeat that $500 mistake again. 

6 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

This is out of the box with thin diameter 30lb braid, rotating the spool a quarter turn occasionally while spooling the line on. It came with a thick shim and a thin shim installed, so I pulled the thin shim out after seeing how the lay ended up. I’m hoping that will tighten up the lay under the spool lip. Haven’t dumped the line off and refilled the spool yet to see how that works out though. Just looking at this picture it’s not bad. If I was running thicker line (40-50lb braid) I think it would be fine out of the box

IMG_7988.jpeg

single shim removal wasn’t enough. Line isn’t bunching up at the bottom but still has a gap under the spool lip

IMG_8041.jpeg

19 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

I’m certainly not a fanboy of any reel brand either as I seem to have a knack for pushing reels beyond the point of failure a little too often, but I feel I should ask what you were hoping would be made out of titanium that isn’t? Titanium main shaft, titanium spool lip, titanium bail wire. Seems like those are the main components offered in titanium from other brands. 

I think the new VR is certainly the main competition for this reel and two of my fishing buddies that I see very often are having very good luck with their VR reels so far. This SaltX2 definitely has work to do to surpass the performance of the second gen VR even if it’s a bit easier on the wallet.

My argument is just what you finished it up with. This is a direct competitor with the VR if you look at the VR stats they have more drag, it’s lighter and is supposed be to be well sealed. Some say the VR is fully sealed but I’m not going to go there. I don’t think the $100 difference is not enticing enough to buy it over the VR. 

I also think the tsunami brand is decent for the lures, their reels and rods are good for the price. They are budget friendly reels. The saltx series reels are not their true element, this one is just a bit out there. If it was $250-300 could make a better case.

I know people who hate the saltx as much as I know people you don’t like the VR at the end of the day we gotta to fish it and compare. Would love your input once you test it out.

These reels are expensive and it’s on us fishermen to hold the brands accountable on what they sell us. 

Edited by BentHookzMA

3 hours ago, BentHookzMA said:

My argument is just what you finished it up with. This is a direct competitor with the VR if you look at the VR stats they have more drag, it’s lighter and is supposed be to be well sealed. Some say the VR is fully sealed but I’m not going to go there. I don’t think the $100 difference is not enticing enough to buy it over the VR. 

I also think the tsunami brand is decent for the lures, their reels and rods are good for the price. They are budget friendly reels. The saltx series reels are not their true element, this one is just a bit out there. If it was $250-300 could make a better case.

I know people who hate the saltx as much as I know people you don’t like the VR at the end of the day we gotta to fish it and compare. Would love your input once you test it out.

These reels are expensive and it’s on us fishermen to hold the brands accountable on what they sell us. 

100% agreement with you then. The fact that this is more than just a refresh and has heavy influence from one of our own here on SOL for the design makes me optimistic that it could end up being a gem. I will certainly be as critical as necessary with my experience of the reel and I know @scoobydoo would have it no other way. 

That said I’ll admit that I have a bad habit of buying every new reel that hits the market just to see what it offers. I certainly don’t need any more reels to fish but I have yet to find a reel that checks every box so I guess I’m a sucker for chasing that dragon even if I know I’ll never catch it. First I need to find some fish that are worthy opponents since the diaper stripers and baby fluke I found at sunrise this morning won’t cut it lol

IMG_8061.jpeg

6 mins ago, Sir Defyable said:

100% agreement with you then. The fact that this is more than just a refresh and has heavy influence from one of our own here on SOL for the design makes me optimistic that it could end up being a gem. I will certainly be as critical as necessary with my experience of the reel and I know @scoobydoo would have it no other way. 

That said I’ll admit that I have a bad habit of buying every new reel that hits the market just to see what it offers. I certainly don’t need any more reels to fish but I have yet to find a reel that checks every box so I guess I’m a sucker for chasing that dragon even if I know I’ll never catch it. First I need to find some fish that are worthy opponents since the diaper stripers and baby fluke I found at sunrise this morning won’t cut it lol

IMG_8061.jpeg

You always catch big fish so I am sure you will. Appreciate you always sharing your knowledge and fish pictures on here. 

I have too many myself and won’t be buying anything for a while. Between the penns, shimanos, diawas and VSs I don’t know what I need. I try not to dunk them either.