Century Stealth 1205: New School Concept, Old School Wrap

Rate this topic

Ted Pietz

16 hours ago, kooch said:

I really like the split grip cork layouts. Awesome job. What guide layout did you use? 30 25 20 12 10 10 8 8?

That's it. I but a bend in the rod and placed the guides along the curve. It needed an extra guide to  follow that curve more closely.

16 hours ago, kooch said:

I really like the split grip cork layouts. Awesome job. What guide layout did you use? 30 25 20 12 10 10 8 8?

13 hours ago, surfrat59 said:

Stealth is parobolic enough to not lose anything with an old school build. My best jetty rod is 9ft and still wears 4 high frame Hardoloys w/a BPLT 20 tip. Beautiful build, really like the split cork grips.

Thanks.  all my other rods have Hardaloy guides except the early glass ones which have the old stainless steel ring guides. My Fenwick 1382 has a 70 SS ring guide first which would be unheard of today. You know you've spooted an old timer if you see a guy fishing a rod like that, I love it!!

Oh, I like that build, it’s nice and clean!

It looks like it’s very light, as well!

I really like the trim bands on the split grip too!

I like my Fuji guides, but I’ll use whatever guides, for MY repairs, I get my hands on lol !

I guess the most important question is, how does it cast and feel?

It casts a 1.5 OZ pencil way out there, an SP minnow far if it goes out flat and doesn't tumble and a 3/4 oz Vision Surf Eel furthur than my other rods and that is a soft flaptail. I even snapped on a 1/4 ounc ekastmaster just to see and was amazed how far that cast. I used it to catch a mackerel to live line.  All in all I'm happy with the rod for sure but being an old Hardoloy guy it is hard getting used to all thse small guides. The upside, no wind knots!  The balnace point is midway  on the foregrip. It is easy to fish because it is so light. The rod does the work. 

16 hours ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

Oh, I like that build, it’s nice and clean!

It looks like it’s very light, as well!

I really like the trim bands on the split grip too!

I like my Fuji guides, but I’ll use whatever guides, for MY repairs, I get my hands on lol !

I guess the most important question is, how does it cast and feel?

I answered in the thread. Thnaks

Well done! Thats a great looking rod and it sounds like it fishes like a dream which is more important.

Once you go with the "new" style of guides Hardloy will be in your rearview mirror. I've been building with American Tackle MW30 set in nanolite for 10/11 ft rods. Blank stays crisp, no "wind" knots. 

On 7/25/2023 at 8:20 AM, Ted Pietz said:

It casts a 1.5 OZ pencil way out there, an SP minnow far if it goes out flat and doesn't tumble and a 3/4 oz Vision Surf Eel furthur than my other rods and that is a soft flaptail. I even snapped on a 1/4 ounc ekastmaster just to see and was amazed how far that cast. I used it to catch a mackerel to live line.  All in all I'm happy with the rod for sure but being an old Hardoloy guy it is hard getting used to all thse small guides. The upside, no wind knots!  The balnace point is midway  on the foregrip. It is easy to fish because it is so light. The rod does the work. 

Nothing better, than building a rod, and have it function, exactly the way you wanted and look awesome!

So, sounds like it casted great for you, and that’s all that really matters, as far as I’m concerned, it’s all about functionality!

Nice having a little bling on there too lol!

So, what company and thread colors, did you use for the guide wraps?

I really do, like the way they pop, always been a sucker for blues, then greens and yellows!

I had some spools of guberod NCP size D form way back tha tI used and some newer NCP D tha tI had from the ealy 2000's.  I do like the N0 Color Preserver NCP thread but I do use color preserver anyway. Colora are light blue and colbalt. Teh Red and white are standard. You can bear down on the size D thread so the wraps are tight. 

It does cast really well. That said most of the fish I catch are within 50 yards of the beach although thaere have been times when you have to reach them. 

I like that when you build you can make it your way. Teh cork grips are more  comfortable in cold weather and not may commercial rods have them. You also get chooice of guides, the last two 8mm guides and tip are SIC and the rest are alconite.

I'm happy you like this rod. it is coll to hear from another builder.

Thanks,

Ted

19 hours ago, Ted Pietz said:

I had some spools of guberod NCP size D form way back tha tI used and some newer NCP D tha tI had from the ealy 2000's.  I do like the N0 Color Preserver NCP thread but I do use color preserver anyway. Colora are light blue and colbalt. Teh Red and white are standard. You can bear down on the size D thread so the wraps are tight. 

It does cast really well. That said most of the fish I catch are within 50 yards of the beach although thaere have been times when you have to reach them. 

I like that when you build you can make it your way. Teh cork grips are more  comfortable in cold weather and not may commercial rods have them. You also get chooice of guides, the last two 8mm guides and tip are SIC and the rest are alconite.

I'm happy you like this rod. it is coll to hear from another builder.

Thanks,

Ted

Well, unfortunately, I’m not a builder lol!

I definitely know, nice work when I see it though!

I am just getting involved in the craft!

Been fixing my own fishing rods for years!

Wanted to get into it seriously, years ago and just didn’t work out that way, unfortunately!

However, I am constantly learning from you guys in this forum, that’s the best part!

I never realized, just how much work, really goes into one custom rod,  not including all of the serious, time consuming thread work!

Not to mention, all the testing that’s done!

It really does give you, a whole new appreciation and respect towards professional rod builders and their hard work!

Edited by ExcessiveAngler

The hours do add up but mostly by minutes spent. It takes about 45 minutes to mix and coat the guides but all day on the drying rack and then several days to fully cure. I hav ea 12 RPM motor to keep the rod turning while the flex coat sets.  There are some winding machines out there for the full time builder but I just build my own so I bought a sewing machine motor and foot pedal that I fixed a governor to so it doen't wind to fast and it has served me well. I have a chuck that fits on the motors that hold the rod. An overhead light helps as it casts a straight line down the length of the blank. 

In the beginning try not to be fast but instead careful and willing to "unwind" your mistakes. 

If you decide to build ask for help here or on youTube. Probably the most important part of building  a rod that functions like a custom rod is finding the espline. You are welome to my humble help.

Hope this all helps,

Ted

You seem to genuinely appreciate this rod. The blank alone was  was over $300. $308 I think, $325 shipped. The guides, reel seat and other supplies were well over $100.  A factory built is $550. The custom build is worth money.  All guides underwrapped and the foot of each guide is double wrapped.  The first five guides are Alconite and the tip and two #8 guides down from the tip are SIC. The rod is built rugged. This rod is brand new only tested to cast.  If you love it make an offer and if we agree I will start a thread. I would only sell it to someone who appreciates what it is. Any questions just ask.

Edited by Ted Pietz