RI Windmills

Rate this topic

Lots of misinformation about these wind farms in the local Newport press.  The press routinely reports that the farms are “just offshore.”  Just offshore is a mile or two out. These farms are much further out.  The real issue for us here in RI is the cable used to transfer the energy.  The cable is earmarked to go right down the Sakonnet River into Mass.  

Plenty of press about that aspect. 

You guys seem ok with this. I hope it doesn’t affect the fishing or the whales in your area. I can see how some people are still really upset about this and feel like this was rushed through quicker than it should have been. RI is amazing. Can tell kettlebottom wants to keep it that way as much as possible as everyone should. 

(*member previously known as 'SoCalStripers')

It’s not that I’m necessarily ok with it.  It’s gone through the approval process.  We live in an area that is primarily blue which supports green energy and most of the politicians here seem ok with that and were voted in by the same citizens that are against the turbines.  My personal advice to them is to vote red next time.  

Watching the whole process unfold first hand on Block leaves me completely disgusted. The money wasted is beyond comprehension. An average 10 year shelf life. Cables exposed after one year on Town beach. Multimillion wind farm boat making multiple runs a day to work on leaky bearings, diesel powered. Just doesn’t make the common sense department. Red guys need to learn how to steal elections too, in my opinion 

I’m just throwing out some logic and cost analyses on off shore windmills. I haven’t done any specific research on the cost of instilling off shore marine windmill, so all this is common sense judgment. I would think installing a windmill off shore; the cost might project 4-6 times the amount of putting the same wind mill on land. The cost of running cables extra-long distance miles from the user source and burring them must be very costly. Installing a rigid platform in a hundred feet of water is much more costly than a standard single pole on land. Higher marine maintenance and severe storm/wave damage results in more down time and much more expense. Maintenance requires many more specialized vessels and barge cranes difficult to keep in place.

The down side it affect sea mammals, sea life, man’s use of recreational/commercial use of many square miles of ocean. That alone is worth billions of lost revenue to the economy. Once you put in windmills, they are there for life. That certainly changes the marine environment. Can you imagine the noise level in a quiet sensitive marine area while they are being built. If you need to build them in the marine environment, what about Hope Island, out of the water, will do no harm. 

I’ve always wonder are solar panels much better suited for our environment. They are quieter, produce no concentrated wind currents, effect birds and migration less, easier to maintain, much easier to put up and take down. Why use prime forest locations and lose trees that produce clean air and control erosion? More forest is lost today because of clearing land for these panels. There are plenty of blight areas, and abandoned properties in cities that seems like the best situation to be helpful all around. These panels would be much closer to the user source without expensive corrosion cables laid out along our ocean beds.   

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

13 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

I’m just throwing out some logic and cost analyses on off shore windmills. I haven’t done any specific research on the cost of instilling off shore marine windmill, so all this is common sense judgment. I would think installing a windmill off shore; the cost might project 4-6 times the amount of putting the same wind mill on land. The cost of running cables extra-long distance miles from the user source and burring them must be very costly. Installing a rigid platform in a hundred feet of water is much more costly than a standard single pole on land. Higher marine maintenance and severe storm/wave damage results in more down time and much more expense. Maintenance requires many more specialized vessels and barge cranes difficult to keep in place.

The down side it affect sea mammals, sea life, man’s use of recreational/commercial use of many square miles of ocean. That alone is worth billions of lost revenue to the economy. Once you put in windmills, they are there for life. That certainly changes the marine environment. Can you imagine the noise level in a quiet sensitive marine area while they are being built. If you need to build them in the marine environment, what about Hope Island, out of the water, will do no harm. 

I’ve always wonder are solar panels much better suited for our environment. They are quieter, produce no concentrated wind currents, effect birds and migration less, easier to maintain, much easier to put up and take down. Why use prime forest locations and lose trees that produce clean air and control erosion? More forest is lost today because of clearing land for these panels. There are plenty of blight areas, and abandoned properties in cities that seems like the best situation to be helpful all around. These panels would be much closer to the user source without expensive corrosion cables laid out along our ocean beds.   

Not to mention the increasing trend of government subsidized green energy projects. These subsidies incentivize further investment in offshore infrastructure. Granted, I’m the furthest thing from a financial analyst, but, I can’t fathom how the costs aren’t going to catch up with them.

Besides the threat they may pose in their operation, I’m worried about the longevity of these offshore projects once the subsidies run out, companies start going broke, and the stations become abandoned or fall into disrepair.

6 hours ago, pittedsopitted said:

Not to mention the increasing trend of government subsidized green energy projects. These subsidies incentivize further investment in offshore infrastructure. Granted, I’m the furthest thing from a financial analyst, but, I can’t fathom how the costs aren’t going to catch up with them.

Besides the threat they may pose in their operation, I’m worried about the longevity of these offshore projects once the subsidies run out, companies start going broke, and the stations become abandoned or fall into disrepair.

I think our approval process here is looking at how the turbine fields in other areas of the world are doing because those have been established for a longer time period.  

3 hours ago, DZ said:

I think our approval process here is looking at how the turbine fields in other areas of the world are doing because those have been established for a longer time period.  

I would hope so. What I gathered from the RWU Wind Symposium w/ Vineyard Wind was that they're "doing what they can" and employ the world's best scientists, so I'm going in with a tinge of optimism; however, looking at the seemingly unprecedented scale of that project--as well as its analogues along throughout the Atlantic coast--I'm still worried about it. 

53 mins ago, MakoMike said:

That’s only until the first time some nut attacks a windmill, then we will all be banned from getting within 1/2 mile of one.

Good point! BUT, given the numbers of covid boat buyers still holding strong, its ambitious to assume it won't be accidental! :laugh: The number of "seaworthy" boats (and "captains") I've watched on the near-shore reefs recently is disconcerting to say the least.

Seems to me a lot of the fear mongering and misinformation can easily be be dispelled by looking at oil rigs as well as the vast wind farms in Europe. 

This topic is way, way too charged with political BS that will play hard in the coming elections. The misinformation and winding up of the masses is about bigger things than wind.

It's not at all crazy to say a bunch of the wind farm drama on socialmedia, especially crying over dead whales, is coming straight out of the enemies of our country. 

My concern is the way it's being rushed to fit the election cycle.